Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image-2005232878.jpg

image-305538332.jpg

image-2552466520.jpg

image-681053919.jpg

Was thinking a type of pump.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies, that's what I was thinking and that poster helps a lot. Do u think 1874 was when it was made or when the company was founded?

Upvote 0
Also this is an iron piece so it has already started to rust. Does anybody know what to do to clean it and what would u put on it to preserve it after the clean

Upvote 0
This piece was completely preserved in about 2 inch of coral as u can see

image-857131194.jpg

Right when I took off the coral with flat head and hammer the iron started to oxidate and plus I got a magnet and it sticks to every piece

Upvote 0
You need to completely submerge it in fresh water to help get rid of the salt that is imbedded in it from being in the ocean for many years or it will keep rusting and it's condition will worsen rapidly now that it's exposed to air, you will have to changed the water every week or two as the salt starts leaving the relic and leaching into the fresh water, eventually the relic will reach a stable point and you can dry it out and seal it, sealing it with the salt in it will not stop it from continuing to decay!!!

If you live in an area that gets lot of rain, a rain barrel at the down spout of a gutter is the perfect place to place the relic so you don't have to worry about having to change the water for a new batch of fresh water, the water will get a refreshing every time it rains, if no rainfall for a period of time, stick the garden hose in the barrel to refresh/replace the water.

Upvote 0
Just leave it be, and get into water ASAP, if you can't get it into fresh water put it back in the salt water until you get the freshwater setup ready, the fresh water does two things, it starts leaching out the salt and it also keeps the air from starting the oxidation, so at this point you want it to be submerged even if it's in salt water to stop the oxidation process!!!

Edit: The fresh water submersion is going to be a long process, this relic has been in salt water for many years, so it will take months and up to a year or more to stabilize the relic!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
And wants I get all the salt out what should I do to remove the rust before I clear coat it

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back