Im thinking about calling it quits altogether (rant #2)

73dguard-- my bad. Thought you were just metal detecting, cache hunting didn't dawn on me, not being familiar with your detector, I knew it was specialized but didn't know at what exactly. There are some really pricey all around detectors.

I hope you have read some of KVM's advice. Follow your dream, I wish you success!

Let's see, I spent almost 6k on a Nokta Golden King GPR to look for the big one I'll never find. Then $800 on a teknetics alpha, AT Gold and Pro-pointer, after a year I have not even made $5.00 worth of finds and most of that is finding loose change on the surface with my eyes. I seem to have the worst luck getting landowner's permission. Tried again today with a farmer who owns the old reservoir which broke in 1969 after a flood. He let one guy go back and he burned something and now three of the cows are dead so he doesn't let anyone back there now. Anyone want to buy the above used equipment? I feel like I could have just blown the money on lotto tickets and possibly gotten a better return.

Persistence pays off, an "Impatient fisherman always starves"

On a side note, here is a little tip I use to get permission to hunt with a detector, gun and mushrooms. Create a resume of sorts, instead of listing past careers, list charity work, past accomplishments, references, etc. Whats the worst that can happen, they say no?

yes Terry I feel better having slept for third shift work tonight. Ready to swing again, though reluctant about buying more stuff right now.

Were do you live I'll research for you I'm bored lol

The biggest scores in terms of $$$$$$ that I ever heard of being found with metal detectors - were found by amateurs just out
goofing around with lower end equipment as well . This is really just about going out and having fun , getting your A$$ off the
couch and getting some fresh air and a little exercise too- and you sometimes find some cool stuff , and the occasional good coin
or ring . Now go get a user friendly detector and a buddy and have some fun for a change !

Lol
this is an absolutely fantastic response. :)
This made me literally laugh. Thanks!

View attachment 956710I've been detecting since 1966, and in that time I've found silver and gold, rings and coins, jewelery and clad money, but the photo shows my personal very best find. I did the research, I found the location, I know those were dropped by a soldier engaged in a firefight, I know who he was fighting, I know the company he was in, and I know the day they were dropped. To me that was one of the bigger thrills of my life. You might not understand that, but there are people that post on this forum that very well know what I'm talking about. I've also researched a place that has a high chance of finding someones stash of hidden money, the person died and it was know that he'd burried money on the place, but I haven't been able to get permission to look for it. Even if allowed to hunt, and his stash was found and amounted to something, those bullets would still be my favorite find. It's the rush you get when it all comes together, the hours of research, the long walk, crowned with the find that proves you did it. I love history, and I personally like to find artifacts, so I guess in the end it's the fun of the hunt, not knowing for sure ahead of time what's going to come out of the hole. If you are in it just for spectacular finds, you will be sadly disappointed, there is a lot more clad out there than there is silver. But the silver and gold is there to fine, you just have to go look for it, and if that isn't fun, then you probably should sell your equipment and use the money on a different hobby, because it's never going to be like the TV shows.
nice cartridges:thumbsup:

Were do you live I'll research for you I'm bored lol
Ashland , OH I am going to try and hit the old FE Myers factory buildings.. I don't expect caches there but having been built in 1885, there might be old coins lurking about. When it gets warmer, I hope to wade in town creek with the AT gold.

Let's see, I spent almost 6k on a Nokta Golden King GPR to look for the big one I'll never find. Then $800 on a teknetics alpha, AT Gold and Pro-pointer, after a year I have not even made $5.00 worth of finds and most of that is finding loose change on the surface with my eyes. I seem to have the worst luck getting landowner's permission. Tried again today with a farmer who owns the old reservoir which broke in 1969 after a flood. He let one guy go back and he burned something and now three of the cows are dead so he doesn't let anyone back there now. Anyone want to buy the above used equipment? I feel like I could have just blown the money on lotto tickets and possibly gotten a better return.

Sounds like you need to go at it in a different direction. Any direction is better than the one you're on right now.

Try new places - Old places . Research where parks, schools, or old fairgrounds used to be. Try on a "modern archeologist" hat for a while and figure out where people were and most likely dropped things. Look up old maps - research has proved to be half the fun for me!

Hang in there Buddy and sending good luck your way!

I, like BosnMate, have gotten involved in a battle. A couple of years ago, after receiving my AT Pro, I just wanted to find a cannon shot from the local battle [War of 1812]. Well, I did and one thing lead to another, now two years later I have just under 100 artifacts of that battle and I am in the process of writing a book on it. It has truly been a rewarding adventure, metal detecting as only been a part of it. The research is a much bigger part of it and cost can add up [mostly for travel]. I now have found the names of several of the participants of that battle, their biography's and their affidavits of the battle. My biggest thrill, came a couple of weeks ago when I discovered that one of the soldiers wounded at the battle, was Black, not only was he was Black, but he also was one of the early settles of the area. He had lived here "several years before the war" [1812]. Yes, getting permission to detect on private property can be challenging, but I believe it is how you go about it. I tell the property owner what I am looking for and if I find anything that is of any real value I will split it with them and lastly I assure them that they won't even know I was there. [refill all holes, I used a plug where I can, leave no trash]. When I am not working on the battle, I detect School yards and ball fields,Parks, Beaches, old and new swimming holes, between the street and sidewalk in older areas, old railroad stations and old one room school houses, you see there are many place to hunt on public property. The main thing is you leave the area as you found it, that means no holes or trash. If you are not currently doing it, in grassy areas learn plug cutting. That way you can slip it back in the hole and no one is the wiser. Remember when hunting on public property, don't ask, it is easier to seek forgiveness, encase they don't allow it.

You can make money if you went all out,not millions but enough to live on.With a lot of research and a lot of time,it might work.I think that would take the fun out of the hobby.When I was looking at detectors in n.h.,I went to a place in marlborough and the guy told me he makes 60-70 grand a year at it. But he takes trips to the islands every year specifically to search.Sounds more like work than fun to me:dontknow:

ONE George Washington inaugural button or something equally rare and valuable found entirely by accident will make you forget all about finding a cache. If large amounts of hidden money were easy to find (or common) they would have all been found by now. Lower your expectations and do it for the fun of it or maybe it's not for you.

yes Terry I feel better having slept for third shift work tonight. Ready to swing again, though reluctant about buying more stuff right now.

Coin hunting is like chasing beautiful women: you can't get good ones in great condition all the time, but when you do, you'll want to stay in bed and look at it the next day.

Coin hunting is like chasing beautiful women: you can't get good ones in great condition all the time, but when you do, you'll want to stay in bed and look at it the next day.

Or its like being constipated you work so hard till you get the silver out lol

Scrappy, thats not at all how it works.......

Scrappy, thats not at all how it works.......
Ah, an expert on the matter. Thanks for clearing that up there genius! I was trying to cheer a fella up.

You must only wake up next to funky women with an attitude like that!

Have any other zingers?

Ah, an expert on the matter. Thanks for clearing that up there genius! I was trying to cheer a fella up.

You must only wake up next to funky women with an attitude like that!

Have any other zingers?

Lol wait this women has a bulge! Its also biggest then mine! Wtf hahaha

With the equipment you have, you have the potential to find vast amounts of treasure! Treasure means different things to each individual. I personally love old buttons. (Old gold) doesn't hurt either. ;)
As for permissions, farmers can be hesitant. Land is life to them and anyone who steps on theirs is trespassing. To gain permission, overwhelm each landowner with kindness, questions of property's history, family history, etc. Conversation is the key to any locked door. GL+HH
Peace

Metal detecting can be with out doubt the most frustrating hobby on the go :BangHead: I have been lucky enough to find a few nice things, but it's also about the history of a find, who owned it, what did he do...a mystery, the same mystery beneath out feet that drives us out in all types of weather, week after week. And then there is the wild life, and just being out in the countryside and enjoying nature.

Don't do it for the return, there is a lot to get out of the hobby...beside $$$$$$...

SS

I didn't read all the replies so I don't know if I am covering old ground.... if you have only been hunting since your 2013 membership started, you have a LONG way to go before you can call yourself a detectorist extraurdinairé. Returns? Break even? Reason for starting the hobby? Put the balance sheets and business plan away so you can have FUN! TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back