Im thinking about calling it quits altogether (rant #2)

If its one thing i have learned is location can be everything.To be sucessfull with your md learn everything you can about it.Practice/patience and persistance it works.If pulltabs/bottle caps/old beer and soda cans were gold i would be rich beyond my wildest dreams.I have been doing this for 8 months now and could not be happier.I have found gold/silver and some coins not anything to get me on the cover of a treasure hunting mag but as others stated realize its a hobby and have fun.If you seek fame or fortune i would find another hobby.whatever you decide best of luck to you.But if you stay with it i think you will find out it is one of the most frustrating and exciting hobbies around.Good luck.HH

U get into this hobby for the thrill of never knowing what u might find. One day u might find nothing but clad, then next day u find a 100 year old coin. Plus I enjoy the research part of it too. But hey u want out and wanna dump that equipment I'll give ya 300 for that at gold lol

I spend $500 a year on parking meters and parking tickets around the different beaches. In the end it is worth it to be by the ocean and the fresh air. But most of all the thrill of the hunt. An old timer use to say to me today could be the day.

Some lucrative occupations begin as hobbies. Perhaps I foolishly assumed this this one of those. So with that being said, what IS the correct reason to get into this hobby and for those with high end equipment, at what point is the purchase justified if ever?

Perhaps the most important question of all, one that will be answered differently be everyone: What is the break even point in satisfaction with this hobby? When have you found enough to stop?

Stop? Whatever for? I do it for fun, not for money.

One of these Days We Might do the Math, And realize that We are Loosing Hundreds Of Dollars a Year Doing this Hobby!!!! NOT Its A Blast And As our Tag lines Say!!!!

The best detector in the world is not a magic wand. It will not make treasure appear in the ground unless there was treasure there to begin with. You would do better with good research and a cheap machine than a great machine and no research. Sorry but that's the truth.

I guess I am just lucky... I am finding all kinds of things, and not just with the metal detector. With the detector I found

1 Gold Ring - Sold for $135
4 Silver rings - Still have them
1 Silver Charm - Still have it

While detecting I found

1 Giant Clam fossil - sold for $33
Over 50 other fossils many of which are MUCH better than the one I sold.
A pile of 500 gar scales - sold on ebay for $25

And... I would say what my new finds are but too many people will jump on the bandwagon and saturate the market so I am mum on that but let's just say it runs about $5 a pound and I have an endless supply.

QUOTE And... I would say what my new finds are but too many people will jump on the bandwagon and saturate the market so I am mum on that but let's just say it runs about $5 a pound and I have an endless supply.

Yep, They add up and Some times they Just P### you off at the wrong time!!!

can slaw (my all time fav!) Slaw comes in cans too??? Blech!!!!!:safety-goggles:

dholland02: dream on the battery alone is 200:laughing7:

Ground balance, Ground balance, Ground balance. miner.jpg

Let's see, I spent almost 6k on a Nokta Golden King GPR to look for the big one I'll never find. Then $800 on a teknetics alpha, AT Gold and Pro-pointer, after a year I have not even made $5.00 worth of finds and most of that is finding loose change on the surface with my eyes. I seem to have the worst luck getting landowner's permission. Tried again today with a farmer who owns the old reservoir which broke in 1969 after a flood. He let one guy go back and he burned something and now three of the cows are dead so he doesn't let anyone back there now. Anyone want to buy the above used equipment? I feel like I could have just blown the money on lotto tickets and possibly gotten a better return.

Wow! A lot of different responses to you here. Well, here is mine:

Buh-bye. Don't let the screen door catch your behind on the way out. I suggest Stamp Collecting as your next hobby.

Wow! A lot of different responses to you here. Well, here is mine:

Buh-bye. Don't let the screen door catch your behind on the way out. I suggest Stamp Collecting as your next hobby.

maybe if I whine enough you'll share your gold???:laughing7:

Some lucrative occupations begin as hobbies. Perhaps I foolishly assumed this this one of those. So with that being said, what IS the correct reason to get into this hobby and for those with high end equipment, at what point is the purchase justified if ever?

Perhaps the most important question of all, one that will be answered differently be everyone: What is the break even point in satisfaction with this hobby? When have you found enough to stop?

I am planning to buy my first detector next week so I haven't really hunted for anything yet. However, I can tell you that just the anticipation of learning about the history around me is one of my main motivators. Also, I've told all the people I spoke with about jumping into this hobby that if I can find one old coin that's been buried for 80 or more years, it will make it all worth it to me. A few weeks ago, I learned a local town I thought was just a hole in the wall actually has history dating back to the early 1800s and was impacted by the Lewis and Clark expedition. That stuff is just amazing to me.

-
If I was landlocked in Ashland, OH, with your thinking, I would quit purchasing metal detectors, start learning your machines, and researching the area within 50-miles. You are dead center of Toledo, Cleveland, Dayton, Columbus, and Pittsburgh. You have tons of history all around your location.
You have received a lot of great information from others in this thread. I would suggest that you quit throwing self pity parties, leave the party, learn your machines, and research, research, and research some more. Then you can post some great finds and do a little real wining with a full glass.

Cheers!

can slaw (my all time fav!) Slaw comes in cans too??? Blech!!!!!:safety-goggles:

Lol! No, it WAS the can and it has met the mower and is now scattered in my field of dreams making my detector scream TREASURE!!!! In my headset, so it can laugh at me when I dig it up!
I don't like cole slaw either, ranks right up there with can slaw on my "not like'n this" meter, but that's just me!

Here's the truth! A lot of treasure hunters research cache locations, Find conclusive evidence of the cache and then lament about not having the proper equipment to find it. You are on the other end of the spectrum. You have obtained the equipment and have not put in the research time. Let me tell you, The lack of equipment is the big stopper because of cost. The research is a time consumer but can be done on the cheap. Look thru that book I told you about . Get on the net and research, not those big glorified caches, but the lesser known high dollar caches. It's out there just waiting for the one with enough balls (sorry ladies) to find it. You have to pay your dues to get ahead in this game. I have found that if you are lucky maybe 1 in 10 cache hunts pay off. You have to suffer thru the lean years to get to the good ones. Well, that's my pep talk for today. Hope it didn't fall on deaf ears. Frank... NOONTIME GLIDE 4X6 CARD.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back