HUNTER'S HILL

Grace Street is NOT in the Diamond Hill Section to my knowledge; Maj. ES Hutter & family lived on Daniel Hill aka D Street; ACROSS the Rivermount Bridge from Down-town Lynchburg, Va. IN FACT, ES Hutter & his Rivermount Comp. BUILT the Rivermount Bridge, after the Confederate War, (1890 +). It spanned the Blackwater Creek at the "northwest" end of MAIN Street".

Last edited:
Grace Street is NOT in the Diamond Hill Section to my knowledge; Maj. ES Hutter & family lived on Diamond Hill aka D Street; ACROSS the Rivermount Bridge from Down-town Lynchburg, Va. IN FACT, ES Hutter & his Rivermount Comp. BUILT the Rivermount Bridge, after the Confederate War, (1890 +). It spanned the Blackwater Creek at the "northwest" end of MAIN Street".
Grace, Harrison, Madison, Pearl, and 13 th are all part of the Diamond Hill section of Lynchburg.
History ? Diamond Hill Historic District

The James Beverly Ward house, built in 1887 at 105 Harrison Street, is located in the Garland Hill District of Lynchburg, and is still standing.

Last edited:
Grace, Harrison, Madison, Pearl, and 13 th are all part of the Diamond Hill section of Lynchburg.
History ? Diamond Hill Historic District

The James Beverly Ward house, built in 1887 at 105 Harrison Street, is located in the Garland Hill District of Lynchburg, and is still standing.
That "Northwest" end of MAIN Street in L'burg, is ROUGHLY where Robert MORRIS & his wife Sarah had their big old HOUSE/HOME as Washington House/Inn. Will do more R & I on Diamond Hill... did it end at the Foot-bridge over Blackwater Creek...? Looking into it.

Well we now know that the Robert and Sarah Morris house is not the 1905 Academy of Fine Arts Building at 600 Main Street that was once claimed on these threads.

Well we now know that the Robert and Sarah Morris house is not the 1905 Academy of Fine Arts Building at 600 Main Street that was once claimed on these threads.
Correct. The Texas Inn on 5th Street is the MAIN general area (5th & Main Street).

Better YET! There IS an old white building next to Texas Inn; it is on the top of the cliffs over-looking Blackwater Creek; one could "IMAGINE" how the old Washington House/Inn was back in the 1820's. Building DOES look old...

ANYWAY, back to JBR & War of 1812 Grave-sites; as stated: "Capt. James Risque, 1767-Nov. 29, 1843; served in the rank of MAJOR on the staff of General Andrew Jackson at the Battle of New Orleans, and received Jackson at his house in Lynchburg, after the War." JBR did own SEVERAL homes in the City; I had the general areas several years ago... MAINLY near 12th Street.

Last edited:
For Hunter's Hill... will PROBABLY have to go back to HISTORIC Sandusky (Hutters), here in the "Burg".

ANYWAY, back to JBR & War of 1812 Grave-sites; as stated: "Capt. James Risque, 1767-Nov. 29, 1843; served in the rank of MAJOR on the staff of General Andrew Jackson at the Battle of New Orleans, and received Jackson at his house in Lynchburg, after the War." JBR did own SEVERAL homes in the City; I had the general areas several years ago... MAINLY near 12th Street.
He also served with Jackson during the Florida Campaign, along with Davy Crocket, and Risqué requested a position in the Florida Territorial government, which he never received.

He also served with Jackson during the Florida Campaign, along with Davy Crocket, and Risqué requested a position in the Florida Territorial government, which he never received.
GOOD to know... now FOCUS is on HUNTER'S HILL; what ya got...?

Nah... I think Hunter's Hill was sold to many developers, graves were moved (re-interred)... we KNOW that JBR is "at" Presbyterian Cemetery; were the the Wards moved down (re-interred") to Florida "Pan-Handle"...?

You have to be careful with this one because Robert and Sarah Morriss lived at both locations. First at the upper end of Main Street where the Academy of Fine Arts is now located. Robert Morriss built a brick home at this location. The Academy of Fine Arts is made of old bricks. Robert and Sarah also lived down near where the Washington House was located after selling their home at the upper end of Main Street.

The home of Robert Morriss' sister that married a Dawson and later William Warwick, Mayor of Lynchburg, still stands today.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back