BlueRose

Oct 12, 2024
Hey all! I am so new to this and I have no idea how to work this but here it goes. I am curious as to what these markings on this ring may be. Only thing I understand is 14k, but I know it's got to be plated or something. Any thoughts opinions whatever please!
1000011822.jpg
1000011823.jpg
1000011825.jpg

Upvote 4
Welcome to Tnet.

Nice ring, but Itā€™s not solid gold, Iā€™m afraid.

The ā€˜R.G.P.' mark is for ā€œRolled Gold Plateā€.

The maker mark with back-to-back C letters in triangles separated by an ampersand is for the Clark & Coombs Manufacturing Company, originally of North Attleboro, Massachusetts but later at New York City and Rhode Island. They began business c.1862 and used a variety of styles for the ampersand within the mark. That has led to confusion about possible dating, with some sources saying the ā€˜conventionalā€™ ampersand was used until 1915 and then replaced by a more stylised one. I have become doubtful about that. First use of a ā€˜C&Cā€™ mark is claimed in the trademark registration as 1923 and it was cancelled in 1988.

See a previous post here:

https://www.treasurenet.com/threads/markers-mark-on-a-large-sterling-ring.318644/#post-7167143

Last edited:
Upvote 3
R
Welcome to Tnet.

Nice ring, but Itā€™s not solid gold, Iā€™m afraid.

The ā€˜R.G.P.' mark is for ā€œRolled Gold Plateā€.

The maker mark with back-to-back C letters in triangles separated by an ampersand is for the Clark & Coombs Manufacturing Company, originally of North Attleboro, Massachusetts but later at New York City and Rhode Island. They began business c.1862 and used a variety of styles for the ampersand within the mark. That has led to confusion about possible dating, with some sources saying the ā€˜conventionalā€™ ampersand was used until 1915 and then replaced by a more stylised one. I have become doubtful about that. First use of a ā€˜C&Cā€™ mark is claimed in the trademark registration as 1923 and it was cancelled in 1988.

See a previous post here:

https://www.treasurenet.com/threads/markers-mark-on-a-large-sterling-ring.318644/#post-7167143
Red-Coat is correct, if it says R.G.P, it stands for Roll Gold Plate. The picture is hard to read the last letter but appears to be RGP.

Upvote 1
Nope, that's gold baby...the v30 is the points of diamonds and three makers mark

It's not 'V30' and has nothing to do with diamonds. Look more closely. It's '1/30' meaning that the weight of the gold is one-thirtieth the weight of the total metal.

The ring is rolled gold plated in 14K gold with semi-precious stones or diamond simulants.

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back