Gold in your backyard

High Etiquette 009

Nov 20, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Bounty Hunter DISC 3300, Tracker IV, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy!

I've been working on a mining project since my discovery in summer of 2022. It was somewhat a matter of luck, and the fact that I live in a former gold producing district. As I was detecting in my backyard and found a target that was worth digging. I tried to dig with a shovel, then decided to get my pick' from my shed. As I broke into the ground in late August I ended up with a old beer can and around it a bunch of what looked like nuggets. Really tempting to just burry back in the ground.....

So from here on I've been on a mission to approach gold mining in a different fashion. I collected up all I could from this hole and placed them into Ball Jars. Eventually I moved onto a different patch in my backyard which by myself I managed to recover probably about 1 or 2 tons from. I have a lot less now due to space. This was summer of 2023, so the photos you seeing are what one-year of dry washing will do to "gold".

Hope you all found this interesting. Don't hesitate to ask if you need help with something or are curious about my techniques as there are more that go into the recovery it then just digging.

Happy Hunting & Stay Safe!

Attachments

• P_20240615_205031.jpg
    P_20240615_205031.jpg
    796.9 KB · Views: 124
  • P_20240615_205039.jpg
    P_20240615_205039.jpg
    903.5 KB · Views: 121
  • P_20240615_205046.jpg
    P_20240615_205046.jpg
    725.2 KB · Views: 121
Upvote 2
I disagree that they won't change & my Gold Bug Pro at 50% Threshold will sound on them already...

I'm basing my conclusion off several factors such as the; weight, shape, texture & color. Also as I mentioned to xr7ator, my Gold Bug will sound off on these now at a 50% threshold.

The content of Silver in gold nuggets is always approximatley 4 - 15 % and there is very proportional visible silver in these as I recover them from my mine which leads me to believe the rest mineral is gold that hasn't fully formed.

I for one am really hoping these are dirt covered gold. I do however feel there is a misunderstanding about “dry washing”.

Just crush and pan one of these rocks. Or scrub it with an old tooth brush in the sink. Me thinks we’re working with a generative AI here that’s not got a handle on the details of dry washing.

Do a little research on hot rocks that metal detectors get a signal on and don't quit your day job until AFTER you've sold your first few ounces.

Do a little research on hot rocks that metal detectors get a signal on and don't quit your day job until AFTER you've sold your first few ounces.
They have stated there is visible silver and that the gold hasn’t fully developed yet. More dry washing will help it develop. Why crush it prematurely when it’s still developing? That would be silly.

This whole thread is silly.

I used to develop photos and recover silver from the spent chemicals from my minilab processor. How do I develop gold?

I used to develop photos and recover silver from the spent chemicals from my minilab processor. How do I develop gold?
Maybe High will share their dry washing methods to develop gold.

I disagree that they won't change & my Gold Bug Pro at 50% Threshold will sound on them already...

I'm basing my conclusion off several factors such as the; weight, shape, texture & color. Also as I mentioned to xr7ator, my Gold Bug will sound off on these now at a 50% threshold.

The content of Silver in gold nuggets is always approximatley 4 - 15 % and there is very proportional visible silver in these as I recover them from my mine which leads me to believe the rest mineral is gold that hasn't fully formed.
What are the other minerals is there in the rocks you show?
The other minerals could be sounding off your metal detectors.

Is there any minerals crystalized next to the visible silver?
The visible silver is not showing up in the photos you posted so is the size very small?

Can you describe what the dry washing process you are using?
Thanks.

Howdy!

I've been working on a mining project since my discovery in summer of 2022. It was somewhat a matter of luck, and the fact that I live in a former gold producing district. As I was detecting in my backyard and found a target that was worth digging. I tried to dig with a shovel, then decided to get my pick' from my shed. As I broke into the ground in late August I ended up with a old beer can and around it a bunch of what looked like nuggets. Really tempting to just burry back in the ground.....

So from here on I've been on a mission to approach gold mining in a different fashion. I collected up all I could from this hole and placed them into Ball Jars. Eventually I moved onto a different patch in my backyard which by myself I managed to recover probably about 1 or 2 tons from. I have a lot less now due to space. This was summer of 2023, so the photos you seeing are what one-year of dry washing will do to "gold".

Hope you all found this interesting. Don't hesitate to ask if you need help with something or are curious about my techniques as there are more that go into the recovery it then just digging.

North Carolina has known deposits of xenotime is typically translucent to opaque (rarely transparent) in shades of brown to brownish yellow (most common) but also reddish to greenish brown and gray

Lanthanum is a soft, malleable, ductile, silver-white metal. Lanthanum is naturally found in sediments.: it oxidizes rapidly in air and it reacts with water to form the hydroxide.

Magnetism
All lanthanides have at least one unpaired electron, which acts like a small bar magnet due to its own magnetic field. This is one of the main reasons lanthanides are so valuable.

Reactivity
Lanthanides are very reactive and react with water to release hydrogen. They also react with dilute acid to release hydrogen, quickly at room temperature.

In my opinion, being in a gold producing district like where I am and recovering these nuggets from the ground makes them gold, not clay or dirt or soil.
The shine will come in time with the dry washing and I'm already starting to see that after less then almost a year, I am betting on it.

i-got-nothin-i-got-nothing.gif

The price of xenotime mineral specimens can vary depending on the specimen's size and location.

Commodity Specification Price in USD

Lanthanum Chloride 99.9% min EXW China 1495-1568

Lanthanum metal 99% min EXW China 4863-5009

Lanthanum metal 99% min FOB China 5.30-5.40

Lanthanum oxides 99.9% min EXW China 1670-1742

Howdy!

That would be amazing if this was gold! Right now it looks like a bowl of overly done chicken nuggets, let's hope they are indeed gold nuggets.

Say what you want about this thread. I am quite amused by it 🤓

But in case this is a real person and not AI, why would you decide to wait it out when there are ways to definitively prove what you have?
The local Community Collage, County extension office could answer some question quickly with little costs involved. Perhaps there is a near by rock club that could answer the questions even better?

You are not the only one amused by it as there are around 83 people looking at this thread.

That would be amazing if this was gold! Right now it looks like a bowl of overly done chicken nuggets, let's hope they are indeed gold nuggets.
Yep even 'chicken nuggets' have value.
If some of the nugget rocks are crushed and panned could show some other minerals?

If the mineral that you think is silver is really something else you could have a nice find there.
Anyone else look at your rocks and give you a feedback?

May not hurt to crush and pan to see what minerals are there and the amounts.

Say what you want about this thread. I am quite amused by it 🤓

But in case this is a real person and not AI, why would you decide to wait it out when there are ways to definitively prove what you have?
Exactly, wouldn't those overdone nuggets be really heavy, like way more than your average size rock?

Exactly, wouldn't those overdone nuggets be really heavy, like way more than your average size rock?
You should be able to weight the rocks and get an idea per sq. inch in weight.

The metal detectors are sounding off over some mineral or minerals?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back