CRISPINS CRITTERS

I found this piece that I believe to be a 2 tanged crescent knife of some sort. This was about 14 inches down and about 50 yards (higher elevation) from where I found the Copper Spearhead last year. I haven't cleaned the encrusted dirt yet as my hands are still shaking like crazy, these pictures are from the cabin. Savage can kiss my red ass, BOOM BABY.
IMG_0003.JPGIMG_0006.JPGIMG_0004.JPGIMG_0005.JPG

Hey,

Just returned from a wedding in Conn., it was a grandson of the fine gentleman that we buried last week. It's funny how two live changing event brings everyone closer together.

Also I want to apologize for the hasty retreat I made the other night, but a button was pushed, and while I stand by what I said, and meant it, I do hate to upset Squig, and I'm sorry for that. Crispin, as usual was right, thing in life change and evolve, and some become upset, but that's the way of the world....last I will bring this up, I'm one, as most of you know who speaks his mind, usually with a little more tack, but not always.

Glad to hear that the trio of critter's had a decent outing, and AI'm sure their are more tales that will come out, I'm happy for all. I will try to be back later, 300+ miles, and 6 hours behind the wheel, and I'm bushed, but wanted to check in.......Gary

I found this piece that I believe to be a 2 tanged crescent knife of some sort. This was about 14 inches down and about 50 yards (higher elevation) from where I found the Copper Spearhead last year. I haven't cleaned the encrusted dirt yet as my hands are still shaking like crazy, these pictures are from the cabin. Savage can kiss my red ass, BOOM BABY.
View attachment 884727View attachment 884728View attachment 884729View attachment 884730

3352059123_7be40a62fa_z.jpgWow. Hundreds of life times ago...
Await your figuring down the road.
Congrats Back Bacon, that,s a relic few if any will find.

Last edited:
Chris,

Great looking archaic crescent blade.....I'm sure you already know but be extremely careful on any cleaning....minimal at best and don't touch the underlying verdigris.....wtg.

Regards + HH

Bill

View attachment 884727View attachment 884728View attachment 884729View attachment 884730

Chris,

Don't know how you do it, but you are really dialed in! Great find, aand be really interested if you can give and other historical info on the find and the area.......Gary

What a great find. My heartfelt congratulations sir!

We are so proud of you.gif

Gary,

Like any other group of people from time to time there will be disagreements.....just part of the human condition....glad
you're back with us.

Regards + HH

Bill

Hey,

Just returned from a wedding in Conn., it was a grandson of the fine gentleman that we buried last week. It's funny how two live changing event brings everyone closer together.

Also I want to apologize for the hasty retreat I made the other night, but a button was pushed, and while I stand by what I said, and meant it, I do hate to upset Squig, and I'm sorry for that. Crispin, as usual was right, thing in life change and evolve, and some become upset, but that's the way of the world....last I will bring this up, I'm one, as most of you know who speaks his mind, usually with a little more tack, but not always.

Glad to hear that the trio of critter's had a decent outing, and AI'm sure their are more tales that will come out, I'm happy for all. I will try to be back later, 300+ miles, and 6 hours behind the wheel, and I'm bushed, but wanted to check in.......Gary

Gary,

Not to highjack Backbacon's find....but here's a bit of background on the archaic copper artifacts:-

copperculture

Chris,

Don't know how you do it, but you are really dialed in! Great find, aand be really interested if you can give and other historical info on the find and the area.......Gary

Gary,

Not to highjack Backbacon's find....but here's a bit of background on the archaic copper artifacts:-

copperculture

Thanks for posting the link Bill and that is a fantastic site that I have been looking at for some time. Gary, the Copper Culture People were the first people in the Americas to work any type of metal and these are the oldest man made metal finds possible in this part of the world. I have spent literally hundreds of hours in the bush trying to find my second Copper Artifact and am not afraid to tell everyone that I started to cry when I dug this one up. Blood, sweat and tears for sure, not to mention a few bucks on batteries. I'm glad that I decided to go back to this site and hunt around with the new AT Pro as the Boutyhunter 2200 did not pick this baby up when I was there last year. It rang up as a solid 81 on the Pro as did the Spearhead when I dry tested it on the AT.

DSC_0719.JPGDSC_0717.JPGDSC_0718.JPGDSC_0720.JPGDSC_0723.JPGDSC_0727.JPGDSC_0721.JPG
Backbacon inspired me to bust open my wife's hi-res camera. Nobody tell her I used it. The reel on the charm still moves.

Thanks for posting the link Bill and that is a fantastic site that I have been looking at for some time. Gary, the Copper Culture People were the first people in the Americas to work any type of metal and these are the oldest man made metal finds possible in this part of the world. I have spent literally hundreds of hours in the bush trying to find my second Copper Artifact and am not afraid to tell everyone that I started to cry when I dug this one up. Blood, sweat and tears for sure, not to mention a few bucks on batteries. I'm glad that I decided to go back to this site and hunt around with the new AT Pro as the Boutyhunter 2200 did not pick this baby up when I was there last year. It rang up as a solid 81 on the Pro as did the Spearhead when I dry tested it on the AT.

Congratulations my friend. Please do not answer this question if it is offensive but I am really curious. Does this piece of value other then historically? I would never sell anything I find but it does not stop me from figuring out what value they have on them. I am ignorant in this field. I hope it is not incredible rude to ask this.

Crispin

Chris,

No shame in admitting how you reacted to that find....to think you reached back thousands of years to find an artifact
from your distant forefathers must be a special thrill to you that you'll probably cherish for the rest of your days....it's a well earned moment for you that you more than deserve.

Regards + HH

Bill

Bill,

Thanks for the link, bookmarked to study.

Chris,
While I may not run the beaches and parks with a detector, I am totally immersed in the history and lore of the "First People", I have quite a collection of early artifact from the lakeshore, Hudson R. Valley,( where my heritage lies), and spend as much time looking at the ground as I do looking at the trees and wildlife as I run the Mountains. Within walking distance from my home, there are two village/camp sites from the early days...one is Mohawk(my heritage), and the other Abnaki. They were seasonal fishing and turtle hunting camps. They have not been officially excavated, and only lightly searched. Who knows what secrets they still hold. Two divers in the bay about a decade ago, brought an intact Abnaki clay vessel from the depths, and the Lake Champlain Maritime Museum conserved it, put it on display, and eventual returned to the Abnaki tribe in Northern VT. This and all the campsites and travall routes from S. Champlain through the French and Indian War that have yet to be discovered, make this area interesting. Keep up the good work, we are all learning by what you are doing......Gary

Congratulations my friend. Please do not answer this question if it is offensive but I am really curious. Does this piece of value other then historically? I would never sell anything I find but it does not stop me from figuring out what value they have on them. I am ignorant in this field. I hope it is not incredible rude to ask this.

Crispin

Not rude at all my friend. The piece would probably sell for maybe a couple hundred (I think) on fleabay? To myself and the Museums in this area they are priceless.

Gary,

Something to keep in mind during for future woodland hunts....a chap on the Canadian forum who's part native found a firepit that had been used for hundreds of years as a camping spot during hunting season.

To make a long story short he actually dug out and bagged most of the earth that was there and brought it home as a winter project.....sifted and documented the finds....hundreds of old beads and other native artifacts....something to keep in mind going forward.

Regards + HH

Bill

Bill,

Thanks for the link, bookmarked to study.

Chris,
While I may not run the beaches and parks with a detector, I am totally immersed in the history and lore of the "First People", I have quite a collection of early artifact from the lakeshore, Hudson R. Valley,( where my heritage lies), and spend as much time looking at the ground as I do looking at the trees and wildlife as I run the Mountains. Within walking distance from my home, there are two village/camp sites from the early days...one is Mohawk(my heritage), and the other Abnaki. They were seasonal fishing and turtle hunting camps. They have not been officially excavated, and only lightly searched. Who knows what secrets they still hold. Two divers in the bay about a decade ago, brought an intact Abnaki clay vessel from the depths, and the Lake Champlain Maritime Museum conserved it, put it on display, and eventual returned to the Abnaki tribe in Northern VT. This and all the campsites and travall routes from S. Champlain through the French and Indian War that have yet to be discovered, make this area interesting. Keep up the good work, we are all learning by what you are doing......Gary

View attachment 884865View attachment 884863View attachment 884864View attachment 884866View attachment 884867View attachment 884868View attachment 884869
Backbacon inspired me to bust open my wife's hi-res camera. Nobody tell her I used it. The reel on the charm still moves.

Neat diggs Crispin!
That reel is ,well real,neat. Clockmakers i think built some of the better reels before mass production became popular. Appropriate a jeweler type craftsman would have a hand in a miniature?.
Don,t try using the camera for a hammer, she will probably figure it out anyway. Awwww.
Congrats on your hunts and finds.

Thanks, I have visited a rock overhang in the vicinity that has a firepit that has been used for centuries, as recently as the last hunting season, when a fire was kindled I imagine to heat up a lunch and get out of the weather.......Gary

Gary,

Something to keep in mind during for future woodland hunts....a chap on the Canadian forum who's part native found a firepit that had been used for hundreds of years as a camping spot during hunting season.

To make a long story short he actually dug out and bagged most of the earth that was there and brought it home as a winter project.....sifted and documented the finds....hundreds of old beads and other native artifacts....something to keep in mind going forward.

Regards + HH

Bill

Sounds like a great idea Bill, the old Hamster is on the wheel now. :icon_thumleft:

View attachment 884865View attachment 884863View attachment 884864View attachment 884866View attachment 884867View attachment 884868View attachment 884869

Look like you folks had a great day. I've only detected with another (the same) person 3 times and am usually at it solo or with Wasaya out there. I would love to hit the Florida beaches with you guys someday.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back