Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure but I think I found a piece of cannon.It was half way up a very steep hill. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1499096877.083490.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1499096888.238645.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1499096904.218371.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1499096916.849125.jpg

Try to utilize a topographic map of the area, pinpoint the artifact location on the map, then start looking for towns with significant history, old cemeteries, nearby old roads, old rock pits, crossroads etc. Then get your compass and protractor out. The current location of the artifact, any old town, river, creek, etc, old homestead. These observations can help determine the who what when where and why. Maybe an entire cannon was destroyed or burst or something. Then a couple of good ol boys took the fragments by mule over the hill to their little holler and a chunk fell off. Were they taking the easy route to avoid the enemy? Swords into plowshares, by a local blacksmith? It's thought like this that might lead you to a hotter dig. You hit a jackpot bud, now use that to jump off to your next find.

Upvote 0
Civil War era bullets, harmonica reed and button-hook. What are the two coins? (I'm assuming they are coins).

Upvote 0
Civil War era bullets, harmonica reed and button-hook. What are the two coins? (I'm assuming they are coins).

It's not a harmonica read don't know what it's out ofImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1499790016.487428.jpgthose are like pins sticking out of it and it's to small ,see how the holes have metal and don't go all the way through. Coins are a 49 d and a 50s wheat.these were found at the bottom of the hill .the day I found the cannon I found a 1905 v nickel at the top.

Upvote 0
Maybe it's just more modern and intact than what I usually dig

Upvote 0
I cant help but think this "jealous" thing may have been directed at me...

So... just to set the record straight...

I think I was jealous once in my life...

After seeing a dog clean himself. :P

I'm not sure the dog would want any help...

Upvote 0
Hilarious [emoji23]. Could have added other words such as arrogant, cocky, misinformed, etc.

Upvote 0
Since this got bumped I might as well update.I went to my local museum and took these photos ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1500146399.550077.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1500146415.625518.jpginteresting size to them cannon balls eh .Im going down to meet the guy that displayed them on Tuesday .

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back