digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DSCN3814.JPGDSCN3815.JPGDSCN3816.JPGDSCN3817.JPG [# 1] I bought 2 bayonets from an old buddy. He found them in his fathers garage after he passed away. Any help on age would be great. and should it be cleaned ?--blade is 15 1/2 inches long, overall length is 20 1/2 --scabbard has-- m.o.s. or w.o.s. on it.---- thanks for your time --i will post #2 bayonet in a seperate thread-- :thumbsup:

Close to a 1917 Enfield Bayonet for lend-lease. The US M1917 used a different attachment for web belts. Those for the British had the stud for a leather frog to attach it to a belt

EXCEPT - the butt/attachment clamp is cut at an angle. The M1917 had straight handle scale ends.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think you got it, 1893 looks like a match--cool. The letter A is on my scabbard, for Army maybe. Thanks for the help :thumbsup: Any thoughts on cleaning her up ?

Upvote 0
Possibly for Artilleria (Artillery). Note that this would have been the bayonet used against the US troops in the Spanish-American War.

Knife bayonet for use on the 7 mm. Spanish M1893 Mauser rifle made famous during the Spanish-American War of 1898.Designated Cuchillo Bayoneta Modelo 1892/93, these were made by Simpson & Co. of Suhl, Germany, and also at Artilleria Fábrica de Toledo in Spain. The M1892/93 bayonet was patterned closely after the German M1871/84 bayonet, with the distinctive "humpback" hilt.
According to Calvó, an earlier M1892/93 variant was made by Weyersberg Kirschbaum & Co. to accompany 1,200 7.65 mm. Mauser M1890 Rifles for use in trials.
The scabbard is leather with steel mounts.

http://worldbayonets.com/Bayonet_Identification_Guide/Spain/spain_2.html

Upvote 0
Awesome--- what do think about a little wd40 on the tang to see if i can get a makers mark ? I have not cleaned either one of them yet, for fear of making em worse. The other i have, is a socket bayonet. But not sure of year yet. Thank you for all/any info :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
There are always mixed views on cleaning. Some say that the item should look it's age. Others like to 'restore' them. Personally a light cleaning with soapy water and a toothbrush to get the mud off is all that I would do. It's a matter of taste really.

Upvote 0
To clean them use 0000 steel wool and some oil on the metal parts, believe it or not transmission oil works great. The sheath is leather, so leather conditioner can work on this part. The wood scales on the bayonet handle use some pledge or any wood furniture cleaner.

You are cleaning and oiling the blade at the same time, the 0000 steel wool with oil will help remove the rust with out leaving tell-tale signs of heavy scrubbing, and put a coating on the metal to re-tard future rust.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Great advice--thank you. I will try it , and post pics of before and after cleaning for others. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
BTW the bayonet would be used on a 1916 carbine (Easy way to remember short bayonet on the long rifle IE Model 1893 Spanish Mauser, long bayonet on the short rifle IE Model 1893/1916 Spanish Mauser Carbine). Here's the markings on mine on my Model 1916 Spanish Mauser. Also quite a few South American countries used similar bayonets, so once it's cleaned enough to see the markings you'll know for sure what country it's from.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back