✅ SOLVED Any Ideas what this Brass item is??

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

I found two of these items--flat brass items with two holes for rivets/nails in them. They looked at the time like they would have some sort of stamping on them, but both are plain... The older one has some design and it is cast. It also has a part of an old nail still in one hole of it...

2008 8-14 001.jpg

2008 8-14 003.jpg

2008 8-14 002.jpg

I found this one online that was stamped "CS" from a CW camp--the finder at the site says that it's a "watch fob" but it obviously isn't...and it's the same dimensions as the plain oval one I found (pictured above). I'm not suggesting that these are war related, but I'm just wondering what the heck they are... :icon_scratch:

CS disk.jpg

http://www.midtenrelics.com/buttons.htm (See #2, second photo...)

Regards,

Buckleboy

Attachments

• DSC00027.jpg
    DSC00027.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 390
  • DSC00028.jpg
    DSC00028.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 396
Upvote 0
4-H staff said:
Well BB, Here is another I found yesterday. But, this one has nails still attached. It's about an inch lonng by 1/4 wide...forgot the penny for size. same concept. do you agree? mike

I'm BB's spokesman for the day :D Not really the same concept until we are sure what all these various pieces did. Also must be tons of metal out there that looks similar to that & are used for sorts of various things.

Upvote 0
Im thinking ol' relicdude and the others may be correct on this one. Most of them may be ID tags sold blank and were never punched or engraved. I just dont understand why we are not finding more engraved or hand punched examples with names or initials..

Upvote 0
4-H staff said:
Agreed! Mr. Auction ;D man!
That was a long time ago I worked at the auction. ...when I was late teens early 20's. I learned about this old stuff going to the dumps. They used to call me Hunter at work because I always hunted through the trash, at work or wherever I was. ;D

Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
Im thinking ol' relicdude and the others may be correct on this one. Most of them may be ID tags sold blank and were never punched or engraved. I just dont understand why we are not finding more engraved or hand punched examples with names or initials..

Yes, if they were sold for that purpose, you would think that we'd be finding at least Half of them with something on them--be it letters or numbers. 

I am not meaning any disrespect to anyone, I'm just stating a fact.  Ones with engraved, stamped, or punched information on them are almost totally absent in our actual finds.  So it seems to me that we are not finding pieces with that function.  Granted, some may have had that function--but that is not what I posted to be ID'ed.  I posted Blank ones.   And others posted blank ones as well.

So if we have any hope of getting to the bottom of this, we should put the ID disc function/purpose on hold for now and focus on the numerous blank ones posted (the "ID disc" theory was first mentioned a hundred replies ago).  If someone could post a link or scan in and post any information from any source that is pre-civil war with more information about these discs being sold, it would strengthen the theory.  An early advertisement, or (and this would be Much easier to find) a ledger or expense book with a line item that made reference to these items would also be a great thing to see on this thread.  If they were an early promotion of some sort, then the blank examples posted here were very Poor advertising. 

One day, someone will find a photo in a book or resource, or see a pre-CW saddle, leather piece of horse tack, or piece of furniture that will show one of these attached.

I actually side with the horse tack idea more than anything else at this point.  There was little in this area in the way of furniture in the cabins and early homesteads that I hunt here.  During the established date range for these pieces, KY and IN were the Western Frontier.  I have read accounts of the living conditions of the early settlers to this area, and there is likewise little mention of furniture or storage of any kind, aside from the small storage area for wool blankets under the staircases of these homes.  (I am willing to post these descriptions of the early homesteads in my area, if anyone would like to see them, with citations of the primary documents they are from.)  In most cases, early 1800s homesteads here did not even have desks.  Most folks did not read or write.  This is likewise evidenced by the Deed Books and Will Books for Jefferson County in Kentucky, and Clark and Floyd Counties in Southern Indiana--all three sets of which I have seen in person.  The vast majority of these documents contain the notary's words "his mark:" and this is followed by an "X" rather than a signed name.  The notary then signed the name in his own handwriting (the same handwriting used in the will or deed itself), and initialed it.  So I would imagine that there was less need of even a writing desk during this early time frame in my area.

The idea that these are pieces from a weapon is strengthened by the photo, posted above, of one of these pieces mixed in with other early musket parts--but as Crusader has indicated, he doesn't find other musket-related pieces with any frequency across the pond.  He does however find these pieces frequently.  I feel that this discrepancy cannot be overlooked.  It certainly weakens the "musket piece" theory.

At this point, I am leaning towards the "saddle or horse related" theory, which would explain their strong representation in the panorama of European finds, the early rural "frontier" finds here, and many other types of sites as well.  But it may take a book on Federal-Period saddles and horse tack to nail this one down.  I can't recall any resources for War of 1812 accoutrements, but that might be another possibility if such a resource exists.  If these pieces are horse-related, then they likely saw use during that chapter in American history, and a few of these pieces might have seen wartime use during the Mexican War.

-Buckles

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
BuckleBoy said:
bigcypresshunter said:

Heck yes!

The idea of a "strap holder" was also voiced here, independently of the information and photo of the relics offered by the seller--so that is a great bit of information there!!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I have googled strap holder every way possible, along with a lot of other things and have yet to find a picture. One day somebody will find the pic we are looking for.

Upvote 0
RPG said:
I have googled strap holder every way possible, along with a lot of other things and have yet to find a picture. One day somebody will find the pic we are looking for.

Same here. :-\

You're right. Someone will post one.

And I think we may be getting close. :icon_sunny:

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
found one just like many of these the other day at a Civil War skirmish site. - figured it was off furniture or saddle. no markings on mine - like the one marked CS!
hh
slim

Upvote 0
Not sure if this was mentioned previously without reading all of the posts.
Could it be the slidind part to a ? Bolo Tie JWAG

Upvote 0
Hill Billy said:
Not sure if this was mentioned previously without reading all of the posts.
Could it be the slidind part to a ? Bolo Tie JWAG
Anything is possible. Seems the holes are a bit far apart though. I was also thinking early on (before the added u-shaped piece) it might be a tent line tentioner.

Upvote 0
:icon_scratch: Okay, Here's another two cents worth. On the old black powder rifles the sling had two folds on the shoulder strap. The back, or lower one usually had a snap release type connector. The upper or muzzle end had a differant type that required the strap be folded back and was fastened with a small brass oval that had a type of rivet holding the clip that attached to the rifle. When the rivets would rust or break the plate could drop off. Just a thought but it would seem that with the abundance of these items they would be a commonly used part of something that was in common use by the military or early homesteaders. Common factor? They all carried some sort of rifle for protection or hunting. It would seem that rather than a decorative piece it would be more functional.
Just another two cents worth.

Attachments

• rifleaccessories.jpg
    rifleaccessories.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 320
Upvote 0
Here is one I dug on Monday .. Not sure which ...

side is the front or which is the back.

Attachments

• tag2?.jpg
    tag2?.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 291
  • tag?.jpg
    tag?.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 294
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back