A Seated dime, Barber, Indians, and Misc.

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro, Quest x10 idmaXx
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings Dirtfishers
The weather is near perfect here in Illinois and the fishing is good.
I hunted another field spot today and got that silver monkey off my back.
This farmstead was not torn down till about 1970.
I started close to the road and worked my way back row by row parallel to the road.
About the first 35 rows I found clad, tabtops, and many pieces of aluminum TV antennae and various junk. I knew there had to be old stuff there because the place was on an 1892 Platte map.
I was right. When I got about 80' back in the field I found the good stuff. I think the old house was behind where the newer one was.
I found the Barber, Then 2 IHs, The seated dime, and another IH.
The brass lock cover looks quite old. Not sure what kind of lock it was for, Maybe a trunk.
Thanks for looking and best luck to all. Merf

Attachments

• Finds 6-18-08 006.jpg
    Finds 6-18-08 006.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 847
  • Finds 6-18-08 013.jpg
    Finds 6-18-08 013.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 815
  • Finds 6-18-08 015.jpg
    Finds 6-18-08 015.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 813
  • Finds 6-18-08 010.jpg
    Finds 6-18-08 010.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 821
  • Finds 6-18-08 009.jpg
    Finds 6-18-08 009.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 829
  • Finds 6-18-08 017.jpg
    Finds 6-18-08 017.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 791
  • Finds 6-18-08 008.jpg
    Finds 6-18-08 008.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 838
  • Finds 6-18-08 016.jpg
    Finds 6-18-08 016.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 796
Upvote 0
Very nice stuff there Bud. Nice to see Mr. Silver poking his nose out of the dirt. Thanks for sharing

Merf, Merf, King of the turf!!! ;D :wink:
Another fantastic post. Your research has rewarded you yet again. :thumbsup: I would LOVE to find a field like that.
Congrats on the old silver & IH's. SWEET!!!
-MM-

Cool finds Merf! Congrats on the silver!
Mike

BuckleBoy said:
Merf,

I have to say that your Seated Dime is LONG overdue! And as always, the photos you post get me blood Racing. We're long overdue for some silver here in the Iron Brigade too. Halfway through the year, and we have three Spanish Silvers and a War Nickel to show for it. (Not bad recoveries at all, but everything but the nickel came in January.)

It's funny--you would think that the newer houses would've been built on the old sites in most cases. In my area, this is not true. With careful research, measuring, and conversion to GPS coordinates, I've found that in many cases the old house is slightly off from the current house. I've even dug in yards of houses that were built in the 60's and found old items from the original site. The most fun situation is when I walk up to the door and ask to hunt the field 30 yards in front of the current house, and the owners think I'm crazy because they have no idea there was ever anything there--since their current house was built on the trash dump. ;D Of course, the measurements have to be Spot-On in order to get the most out of a site like that.

Have you been able to identify the circular item to the left of the rivet and directly below the lantern wick turner in your photo? Is it pewter? I found a pewter one on Tuesday that has a little ornamentation on the front of it, and it looks like it was either attached to something iron or had iron next to it in the ground. I can post a photo if you like.

Nice work, as always Merf. I'm glad you didn't give up when you hit all the aluminum and modern junk.

Regards,

Buckleboy

Thanks Buckles-------I would love to find some Spanish silver----That would be rare in this part of the country.
You are right on about the old houses. There are three places Locally where the old houses from the 1800s were left standing and the newer house built nearby.
I don't know what the circular item was used for---Maybe the hole supported something.
The pic is of the front of it.
The other pics are of the lock cover.
Do you have any idea what kind of lock it was for? It is almost like a coat of arms or family seal design.
It seems kind of large for a trunk.
Regards, Merf

Attachments

• Finds 6-18-08 021.jpg
    Finds 6-18-08 021.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 269
  • Finds 6-18-08 020.jpg
    Finds 6-18-08 020.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 293
  • Finds 6-18-08 019.jpg
    Finds 6-18-08 019.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 282
diggerfororo said:
Hey Merf. Nice bunch of "stuff" It is hard to convince some of the hunters I know, that you have to do some research to find new sites. It gives you a good feeling to research a place and get permission, then go in and pop out some goodies. I think you know what I mean.

"Mat there alwayse be a road"

Les

Thanks Les :thumbsup:---Right on about the research----Without the old maps I would be batting 0.

oddcoins said:
OH WOW!! Very nice coins & treasures there! VERY EXCITING FINDS!!! WOOHOOOOOOO!!

Thanks OC :thumbsup:

Colonial Silver Zeus said:
Great job on the seated dime Merf. Your persistence is paying off.
Chris

Thanks Chris :thumbsup:

Mirage said:
It's fun to watch the corn grown via your posts. :thumbsup:

Finds are sweet especially throwing in the two silver dimes. ;D ;D Great looking seated too.

Bob

Thanks Bob :thumbsup:

allen said:
way to go on those great looking coins and relics...

Thanks Allen :thumbsup:

Detectingfreak said:
Thanks Detectingfreak :thumbsup:

EDDE said:
Excellent job! All of your coin finds seem to be in really good condition! Keep up the hunting! :thumbsup:

Attachments

• 3_9_4v[1].gif
    3_9_4v[1].gif
    9.3 KB · Views: 212
  • 7_4_33[1].gif
    7_4_33[1].gif
    49.9 KB · Views: 214
  • 7_4_33[1].gif
    7_4_33[1].gif
    49.9 KB · Views: 217
  • 3_9_4v[1].gif
    3_9_4v[1].gif
    9.3 KB · Views: 218
weasel606 said:
great pics and finds merf ! I think you got a sweet spot to hunt :thumbsup:

Thanks Weasel :thumbsup:

Evolution said:
Nice silver Merf. Silver always looks great when you haven't found any in a while. (Believe me, I know. I'm in a big silver drought right now). Then again when you're finding all of the coppers you've been finding, who needs silver. Keep up the good work buddy. :thumbsup:

Thanks EV :thumbsup:---Yes it is a great feeling to find some silver---It has been a while.

Thanks Mud, :thumbsup: Spector :thumbsup:, and Smokedaddy :thumbsup:

Thanks Modernminer :thumbsup: and Mike :thumbsup:

Merf said:
Ohio Jerry said:
Merf,you are doing an outstanding job of finding the old stuff and your pics are always awesome. Man that seated liberty dime is SWEEEET! hey,i see a rivet in your pile,is it a decorative rivet with a five or eight point star on the head?

Thanks Jerry :thumbsup:--- The rivet is just a plain one. No design on the head.
Are ones with a star on the head collectable?
Here's my collection of decorative rivets,I'm a newbie so I'm sure there are more impressive collections out there

Attachments

• rivets.JPG
    rivets.JPG
    22.8 KB · Views: 259
Ohio Jerry said:
Merf said:
Ohio Jerry said:
Merf,you are doing an outstanding job of finding the old stuff and your pics are always awesome. Man that seated liberty dime is SWEEEET! hey,i see a rivet in your pile,is it a decorative rivet with a five or eight point star on the head?

Thanks Jerry :thumbsup:--- The rivet is just a plain one. No design on the head.
Are ones with a star on the head collectable?
Here's my collection of decorative rivets,I'm a newbie so I'm sure there are more impressive collections out there

Thanks for the pic Jerry-----I can see I will have to start examining the ones I find more closely.
That is a nice collection of rivets. I did not realize that some were decorative.

Excellent finds Merf..Theres nothing like the sight of a silver coin in a farm field on a beauty of a day like that !! & I didnt think there were any spanish silvers in this state until I found a couple... H-Hunting .. Bill

Merf,

Is that first item in your reply pewter?

I don't know that the lock plate is a family crest or anything, but it seems to pick up some of the elements of the great seal, contemporary coinage, portraits of Lady Liberty, etc. (Shield with stars and bars, plus arrows, etc.) It is Certainly the coolest lock plate I've ever seen!

-Buckles

BuckleBoy said:
Merf,

Is that first item in your reply pewter?

I don't know that the lock plate is a family crest or anything, but it seems to pick up some of the elements of the great seal, contemporary coinage, portraits of Lady Liberty, etc. (Shield with stars and bars, plus arrows, etc.) It is Certainly the coolest lock plate I've ever seen!

-Buckles

Buck , The first item is just rusty iron.

I got this info on the lock cover from Newbieprospector.

"""""Trying to find out more or a pic but it's lookin like it might possibly be from a trunk lock from the name "Liebrich" and especially if it's bronze....
"Star Lock Works in Philadelphia made a variety of nice brass trunk locks for trunk makers. They didn't actually make the trunks, but they made really nice trunk locks. They were founded in 1836 by Mr. Liebrich and originally the locks were marked with C. Liebrich, Phila. and then in 1869 he retired and two partners, Hillebrand and Wolf took over the company and called it Star Lock Works. They made trunk locks and stays, keys, padlocks, latches and springs. An early trade card advertising Star Lock Works was shown in the Bicentenial exhibit for Philadelphia in 1976. I think they finally went out of business in the very late 1800s."""""

Regards, Merf

Thanks Billythekid and Sparkymaster :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back