A Seated dime, Barber, Indians, and Misc.

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro, Quest x10 idmaXx
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings Dirtfishers
The weather is near perfect here in Illinois and the fishing is good.
I hunted another field spot today and got that silver monkey off my back.
This farmstead was not torn down till about 1970.
I started close to the road and worked my way back row by row parallel to the road.
About the first 35 rows I found clad, tabtops, and many pieces of aluminum TV antennae and various junk. I knew there had to be old stuff there because the place was on an 1892 Platte map.
I was right. When I got about 80' back in the field I found the good stuff. I think the old house was behind where the newer one was.
I found the Barber, Then 2 IHs, The seated dime, and another IH.
The brass lock cover looks quite old. Not sure what kind of lock it was for, Maybe a trunk.
Thanks for looking and best luck to all. Merf

Attachments

• Finds 6-18-08 006.jpg
    Finds 6-18-08 006.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 847
  • Finds 6-18-08 008.jpg
    Finds 6-18-08 008.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 838
  • Finds 6-18-08 009.jpg
    Finds 6-18-08 009.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 829
  • Finds 6-18-08 013.jpg
    Finds 6-18-08 013.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 815
  • Finds 6-18-08 015.jpg
    Finds 6-18-08 015.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 813
  • Finds 6-18-08 010.jpg
    Finds 6-18-08 010.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 821
  • Finds 6-18-08 016.jpg
    Finds 6-18-08 016.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 796
  • Finds 6-18-08 017.jpg
    Finds 6-18-08 017.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 791
Upvote 0
Michiganne said:
Great coins, Merf. Nice pics. There are a lot of cornfields around here just like the one you pictured. I'm thinking I better spend a bit more time looking at those plat books in the library. :icon_sunny:

Keep digging!

Thanks Michiganne :thumbsup:----Those old platt maps are a great resource.
Especially the very old ones that showed house locations.

Merf,you are doing an outstanding job of finding the old stuff and your pics are always awesome. Man that seated liberty dime is SWEEEET! hey,i see a rivet in your pile,is it a decorative rivet with a five or eight point star on the head?

Ohio Jerry said:
Merf,you are doing an outstanding job of finding the old stuff and your pics are always awesome. Man that seated liberty dime is SWEEEET! hey,i see a rivet in your pile,is it a decorative rivet with a five or eight point star on the head?

Thanks Jerry :thumbsup:--- The rivet is just a plain one. No design on the head.
Are ones with a star on the head collectable?

That's an amazing day! Great silver and injuns!
Congrats!
I've been hurtin' lately on findin' any keepers.
A killer day!
Nice digs!

silverfreak said:
SWEET digs Merf. I haven't found a seated yet this year ???

Thanks Silverfreak--- :thumbsup:----Those seated coins are few and far between.

The Buzzard King said:
That's an amazing day! Great silver and injuns!
Congrats!
I've been hurtin' lately on findin' any keepers.
A killer day!
Nice digs!

Thanks Buzzard King :thumbsup: Hope you have a streak of good luck. :thumbsup:

Hey Merf. Nice bunch of "stuff" It is hard to convince some of the hunters I know, that you have to do some research to find new sites. It gives you a good feeling to research a place and get permission, then go in and pop out some goodies. I think you know what I mean.

"Mat there alwayse be a road"

Les

OH WOW!! Very nice coins & treasures there! VERY EXCITING FINDS!!! WOOHOOOOOOO!!

Super finds and I love the pictures of silver in the hole!Looks like you have yourself another great site that is going to keep you busy for quite awhile Merf.

Merf,

I have to say that your Seated Dime is LONG overdue! And as always, the photos you post get me blood Racing. We're long overdue for some silver here in the Iron Brigade too. Halfway through the year, and we have three Spanish Silvers and a War Nickel to show for it. (Not bad recoveries at all, but everything but the nickel came in January.)

It's funny--you would think that the newer houses would've been built on the old sites in most cases. In my area, this is not true. With careful research, measuring, and conversion to GPS coordinates, I've found that in many cases the old house is slightly off from the current house. I've even dug in yards of houses that were built in the 60's and found old items from the original site. The most fun situation is when I walk up to the door and ask to hunt the field 30 yards in front of the current house, and the owners think I'm crazy because they have no idea there was ever anything there--since their current house was built on the trash dump. ;D Of course, the measurements have to be Spot-On in order to get the most out of a site like that.

Have you been able to identify the circular item to the left of the rivet and directly below the lantern wick turner in your photo? Is it pewter? I found a pewter one on Tuesday that has a little ornamentation on the front of it, and it looks like it was either attached to something iron or had iron next to it in the ground. I can post a photo if you like.

Nice work, as always Merf. I'm glad you didn't give up when you hit all the aluminum and modern junk.

Regards,

Buckleboy

It's fun to watch the corn grown via your posts. :thumbsup:

Finds are sweet especially throwing in the two silver dimes. ;D ;D Great looking seated too.

Bob

Excellent job! All of your coin finds seem to be in really good condition! Keep up the hunting! :thumbsup:

great pics and finds merf ! I think you got a sweet spot to hunt :thumbsup:

Nice silver Merf. Silver always looks great when you haven't found any in a while. (Believe me, I know. I'm in a big silver drought right now). Then again when you're finding all of the coppers you've been finding, who needs silver. Keep up the good work buddy. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back