A Seated dime, Barber, Indians, and Misc.

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro, Quest x10 idmaXx
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings Dirtfishers
The weather is near perfect here in Illinois and the fishing is good.
I hunted another field spot today and got that silver monkey off my back.
This farmstead was not torn down till about 1970.
I started close to the road and worked my way back row by row parallel to the road.
About the first 35 rows I found clad, tabtops, and many pieces of aluminum TV antennae and various junk. I knew there had to be old stuff there because the place was on an 1892 Platte map.
I was right. When I got about 80' back in the field I found the good stuff. I think the old house was behind where the newer one was.
I found the Barber, Then 2 IHs, The seated dime, and another IH.
The brass lock cover looks quite old. Not sure what kind of lock it was for, Maybe a trunk.
Thanks for looking and best luck to all. Merf

Attachments

• Finds 6-18-08 006.jpg
    Finds 6-18-08 006.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 847
  • Finds 6-18-08 008.jpg
    Finds 6-18-08 008.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 838
  • Finds 6-18-08 009.jpg
    Finds 6-18-08 009.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 829
  • Finds 6-18-08 013.jpg
    Finds 6-18-08 013.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 815
  • Finds 6-18-08 015.jpg
    Finds 6-18-08 015.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 813
  • Finds 6-18-08 010.jpg
    Finds 6-18-08 010.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 821
  • Finds 6-18-08 016.jpg
    Finds 6-18-08 016.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 796
  • Finds 6-18-08 017.jpg
    Finds 6-18-08 017.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 791
Upvote 0
Merf, nice job on the coins at the new field. :thumbsup: There could well be a half dime waiting there! Have you gone back to the coppa-producing field lately where you got the batwing buckle?

Kyle

Merf, it's a wonderful life isn't it..doing something you enjoy and covering unexplored terrain..the scenery is gorgeous there..more nice coins and fabulous weather..what more can you ask for?

Nice job,
Nat

Man thats some sweet silver!!!!! Oh yea, the Injuns are sweet too!!!! :thumbsup:

Colonial Zoyboy said:
Merf, nice job on the coins at the new field. :thumbsup: There could well be a half dime waiting there! Have you gone back to the coppa-producing field lately where you got the batwing buckle?

Kyle

Thanks Kyle-- :thumbsup:--Not yet----I should go back there again----I have pounded that site about 6 times now.
The spot I hunted today is across the road from that field.

Thanks Gibbsium, Natman , and Treasurefiend. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Great finds, great pictures, great post.....Keep em coming!!! :thumbsup:

Good Job Merf. Thanks for the post and the nice pics.

By the way, do you know what the little brass thing is in the pic of your junk that kind of looks like the top of a nail. I found some of those this weekend at a new site I hunted and was wondering if they are indicative of a structure. They are obviously not nails because the shank is only about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch and they're not pointy.

Thanks, Evan

Attachments

• brassthingy.jpg
    brassthingy.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 745
Merf, great post!. . . Nice job finding the source of all those gems :thumbsup:

I've never had the opportunity "the fields" so-to-speak, I hope to this year :)

Keep hunting!
watercolor

unclejesse67 said:

By the way, do you know what the little brass thing is in the pic of your junk that kind of looks like the top of a nail. I found some of those this weekend at a new site I hunted and was wondering if they are indicative of a structure. They are obviously not nails because the shank is only about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch and they're not pointy.

Thanks, Evan

Thanks Evan--- :thumbsup:---I am not sure but I think they are unused rivets.
I have found those at several old sites.

Thanks Jraven :thumbsup:

watercolor said:
Merf, great post!. . . Nice job finding the source of all those gems :thumbsup:

I've never had the opportunity "the fields" so-to-speak, I hope to this year :)

Keep hunting!
watercolor

Thanks Watercolor--- :thumbsup:---Once you start hunting fields and finding good targets you will be hooked.
It is so easy---No turf to worry about and after the harvest you can dig with a shovel.

Great finds, Merf! Congrats!!!

I see your research really pays off. Without it that would look just like any other cornfield around here.

Way to go!

Merf said:
unclejesse67 said:

Thanks, Evan

Thanks Evan------I am not sure but I think they are unused rivets.
I have found those at several old sites.

Thanks Jraven

Thanks

Beautiful finds, Merf. Hope you guys a staying dry up there in Illinois. It a tradgedy about the floods. God Bless!! :icon_sunny:

Great hunt, Merf! :thumbsup:

Congrats on your old silver and injuns. I like that old brass piece too.

Great weather, and great pics too!

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

kimsdad said:
Great finds, Merf! Congrats!!!

I see your research really pays off. Without it that would look just like any other cornfield around here.

Way to go!

Thanks Kimsdad---- :thumbsup:-Without the old maps I would not be finding much in the fields.

crazyjarhead said:
Beautiful finds, Merf. Hope you guys a staying dry up there in Illinois. It a tradgedy about the floods. God Bless!! :icon_sunny:

Thanks Jarhead--- :thumbsup:--So far we are lucky here. Only a small river nearby and so far so good.
Gotta feel sorry for those folks in Iowa.

Captn_SE said:
Great hunt, Merf! :thumbsup:

Congrats on your old silver and injuns. I like that old brass piece too.

Great weather, and great pics too!

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Thanks Dan :thumbsup:

Thanks Hugh :thumbsup:

Great coins, Merf. Nice pics. There are a lot of cornfields around here just like the one you pictured. I'm thinking I better spend a bit more time looking at those plat books in the library. :icon_sunny:

Keep digging!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back