🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Crude copper ring or a piece of copper junk?

perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug up this crude piece of circular copper today and am wondering if it is an old ring or something else? There's nothing inscribed on it that I can see. For some context, I was searching in an area that had some native american (for several hundred years) and pioneer (from about the 1820s and on) settlements. Any feedback would be appreciated.
image0.jpeg
image2.jpeg
image3.jpeg
image5.jpeg
image7.jpeg
image13.jpeg
image19.jpeg

I'm thinking it was a ring, and at one time was plated with another metal. If it was just a piece of copper pipe that was cut off, it would not have that seam.

Upvote 7
That would be pretty big and thin for a ring. Have you measured the diameter?

Copper pipe had soldered seams until 1890 or later. Extrusion process pipe wasn't common until the 1920's. Copper water pipe was uncommon in house construction until the 1920's. Usually water pipes were lead or, later, galvanized steel. Only rich folk could afford copper.

Upvote 5

Copper pipe had soldered seams until 1890 or later. Extrusion process pipe wasn't common until the 1920's. Copper water pipe was uncommon in house construction until the 1920's. Usually water pipes were lead or, later, galvanized steel. Only rich folk could afford copper?

Copper pipe had soldered seams until 1890 or later. Extrusion process pipe wasn't common until the 1920's. Copper water pipe was uncommon in house construction until the 1920's. Usually water pipes were lead or, later, galvanized steel. Only rich folk could afford copper.
I can remember back in the 60s my dad took a piece of copper and made mom a wedding ring.She wore that ring till the day she died.And she was dang proud of it.Money was in short supply back then

Upvote 1

It's just under an inch in diameter. See photo below where my wedding ring is on the left and this copper ring on the right. Coincidentally, the copper ring fits me almost perfectly so it would be a size 10 ring (assuming it is a ring, of course).
image1 (13).jpeg
image0 (40).jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 4

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is what makes TNet such an awesome site.
respect-062.gif

Never had a clue about that, Clay. The amount of knowledge and experience on this site is just amazing.

Upvote 2
I agree with copper pipe. I’ve found copper “spikes” from old lightning rod assemblies that were seamed copper pipe too. They tapered to a point on one end. Possibly one of those was trimmed for a repair or installation.

Upvote 1
Ok, we have a few guesses it seems- 1. an old copper ring once plated, 2. a piece of old copper piping that was trimmed (before 1890), 3. a modern (or "not that old") copper ring. I won't call this thread "identified" until we get more of a consensus. Really interesting to hear all of your feedback!

I do agree with Dizzy and Tony that it seems to have been plated before and the edges are relatively smooth, so I still am leaning toward a ring (not sure how old, though). I have found discarded copper pieces before and they were pretty sharp on the edges, which this item is not.

Another question to ponder- If it was a piece of excess copper pipe (and assuming 1800s era), wouldn't a poor farmer make use of it somehow? Just thinking out loud here. I have detected in Colombia near an old copper mine and found literally hundreds of pieces of raw copper that were just laying around so maybe not.

Upvote 1
Well, said farmers did lose coins, horseshoes, tools, etc that we find.
Why not a chunk of copper pipe.
Maybe it was lost in a fire.
The possibilities are endless, if we think about them.

Upvote 1
I dug up this crude piece of circular copper today and am wondering if it is an old ring or something else? There's nothing inscribed on it that I can see. For some context, I was searching in an area that had some native american (for several hundred years) and pioneer (from about the 1820s and on) settlements. Any feedback would be appreciated. View attachment 2156083View attachment 2156084View attachment 2156085View attachment 2156086View attachment 2156087View attachment 2156088View attachment 2156089
It’s possibly drop piece copper fitting from a plumber.

Upvote 1
Well, said farmers did lose coins, horseshoes, tools, etc that we find.
Why not a chunk of copper pipe.
Maybe it was lost in a fire.
The possibilities are endless, if we think about them.
Yes, good point. Could have been lost like anything and not purposely discarded.

Upvote 1
So what's changed? 🤨

Looks like pipe to me, but am I seeing markings or something on the outside in pic 4?
Interesting. I thought I saw something there before also under a microscope but my wife says it looks like scratches to her (and she has younger eyes and is more pragmatic than I). :laughing7:

Here's another photo of the side with the "markings." I actually think I can see a "17" from this angle, with the "8" fading.
ring.jpeg

Upvote 1
Looking at the new pic, I'm inclined to agree with your Missus. What I thought I may have seen earlier looked more (to me) like a trademark or insignia rather than alphanumerics, but now looks more like scratches.

Don't feel bad though. I have to reign myself in every once in a while, thinking I may have found something that turned out to be nada--or something completely different. I figure it goes with the territory (metal detecting/treasure seeking), even if our "treasures" are still some other guy's junque.

I'd like to think it shows we're optimists. 😁

Upvote 2
Screen Shot 2024-06-29 at 9.10.56 AM.png

From dealing with tons of copper pipes/fitting/joints this isn't one that I'd generally see in scrap copper.
Cut on the backside-if copper pipe, there would be no cut.

The edge looks bevelled as it was finished that way.
Why the cut? Probably for sizing or it was cut off a finger?

Hard to tell if it's totally the same width-as photo distorts the actual dimensions of the ring (looks narrower on the cut side)

If I had dug this item I would say a low priced/cheap plated copper ring.
Prize type of ring, or it actually be a ring to band a leg (bird) or something else of the same.

Most copper rings look like rings that one would assume that were purchased as gold plated and the plating wore off from the 100+ years of being buried.

Upvote 1
I'm reminded of George Carlin quoting his boyhood pastor on unanswerable questions...

"Well... it's a mystery!"​

Upvote 1
View attachment 2156486

From dealing with tons of copper pipes/fitting/joints this isn't one that I'd generally see in scrap copper.
Cut on the backside-if copper pipe, there would be no cut.

The edge looks bevelled as it was finished that way.
Why the cut? Probably for sizing or it was cut off a finger?

Hard to tell if it's totally the same width-as photo distorts the actual dimensions of the ring (looks narrower on the cut side)

If I had dug this item I would say a low priced/cheap plated copper ring.
Prize type of ring, or it actually be a ring to band a leg (bird) or something else of the same.

Most copper rings look like rings that one would assume that were purchased as gold plated and the plating wore off from the 100+ years of being buried.
I'm with Pepper! Great minds think alike! The cut was the first thing I noticed, Why would anyone plate a piece of copper pipe if not for a ring?

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back