Why were so many Cache(s), left behind?

Great topic ((Randy))! :icon_thumright:
There are also events such as fires that have caused caches. I grew up near Duluth MN with stories of the “Great Fires”. Off the top of my head I can’t remember the exact dates of the fires but the light from one fire were reported being seen as far away as Iowa (BIG FIRE). People saw the fires coming and had warnings via telegraph. Some tried to find a safe place to hide and others ran. Both groups couldn’t take everything with them so they took more transportable items (cash) and some hid what they could hide fast before the flames reached them. For the people that survived they came back to find everything had been wiped out…everything. Few to any landmarks really remained. An older person I knew talked about her grandparents not being able to find where they had buried the heirloom silverware set and how mad the wife was at the husband for not taking it with them when they ran.
Even if the people didn’t hide their property I’m sure many still couldn’t find it. As I have been told a burning building interior will fall in on itself. Anything that wasn’t destroyed by fire would have been buried under the debris. After the fires it was hard to even figure out where some of the streets had been much less figuring out which smoldering plot of land was your property.

Ivan: You posted -->he would be 80 / 90 by the time it was legal to own em again in the 70's -- most likely his mind would be shot by then
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sheehs, sniff, am I to be considered as having a shot mind?

Don Jose de La Mancha

Then of course we have those guys who just couldn't see the point in putting it in the bank. In talking to a guy who lived next to a place I was hunting he mentioned that an old guy "up the hollar" ran a small store out of his house, he would go up on the hill in back of his house and get money at times to trade with. This place was 25 miles from anything let alone a bank.
Not to detract from the topic but:
Just want to mention that they also often hid the money near animals, like hen houses and hog pens the animals would give a warning if someone was messing around.
Lastleg: The PCV cache place that you mentioned being detector proof? Well it isn’t any more! I could find it easily. In fact it could be twenty feet down in anything and I can locate it. Technology has come about that will let me locate things like this at any depth and all I need is the general area (say ¼ mile). So, if you ever need to locate that widow’s cache let me know, we can work something out.

Curtis:

That is just plain eerie, Curtis. How did you know about that? If I were to
take you and your thingie to an area that covers a square city block, only it
is now barely inhabited. It only has one house left that is fit to live in. The
house of interest is partly burned and it open to the elements.

Next door there lived a man and his wife, both have since passed. This man
knew the couple in burned house quite well. He told me the man and his wife
lived very well and when the man was in the hospital for the last time the man
told his neighbor to find his silver dollar collection to provide for his wife.

Well the man did die and his wife, in bad health, remained a few years until
she too succumbed. The neighbor's wife got cancer and he had high bills to
pay. In order to supplement his SS he lent out money in exchange for jewelry.
I became friends with the neighbor who told me that the deceased man and wife had a son who went bad and had set fire to the home with mom inside.
He also said the son was now incarcerated with a very long sentence to serve.

The neighbor was quite elderly and afraid to mess with the hai'nts (ghosts)
so poor me was enlisted to get the goodies. Well after filling an SUV twice
with various and sundry items I came upon a suitcase blackened with soot and
covered by fallen sheetrock from the fire. Inside wedged in the bottom was one
pease dollar with the outlines of many more on the fabric.

When I brought this to the old man we were both dissapointed but stoic. Were
more dollars not yet found?

Curtis, could you with you marvelous gadget tell me how many more remain?

lastleg

I know a man who had a small amount of coins which he buried under the floor of his house and forgot about them when he sold the property.

In 1948 the grade school that I attended wanted to celebrate Arbor day so they purchased a small tree for each of the grades and my class dug the hole to plant the class tree but we also signed our names on a sheet of paper and included a few coins then sealed in jar and buried under the tree roots. I am sure that the coins totaled less than a dollar. I do not know what the other grades did but just finding a few old coins would be pleasing today.

I have been known while rambling around the desert and hills to place a coin or two under a rock for the fun of thinking about someone finding them many years hence and wondering how they got there.

I have for years tossed pennies in a container and saving them and have thought of taking 100 of them at a time, putting them a small jar then burying the jar in the desert so some future treasure hunter can have the thrill of finding them. I am sure that that I am not the only one to think of this.

The reason for caches are varied an I do not thank we will ever run out of them.

j.n.

good freind of mine ( grandson --the mother is a good friend of my wifes)--his gramps just died a few days ago--me and the wife helped set up his will a few months back after we found out he did not have one --turns out --gramps was a hoarder of silver* 0h yah ---big time happily the silver hoard was told to his grandson as was the fact it was booby trapped * before gramps died -- the silver coins have been rescued but no one knows were gramps gold coins went to (yet)--he was known to have a few of em.

Scribe said:
Great topic ((Randy))! :icon_thumright:
There are also events such as fires that have caused caches. I grew up near Duluth MN with stories of the “Great Fires”. Off the top of my head I can’t remember the exact dates of the fires but the light from one fire were reported being seen as far away as Iowa (BIG FIRE). People saw the fires coming and had warnings via telegraph. Some tried to find a safe place to hide and others ran. Both groups couldn’t take everything with them so they took more transportable items (cash) and some hid what they could hide fast before the flames reached them. For the people that survived they came back to find everything had been wiped out…everything. Few to any landmarks really remained. An older person I knew talked about her grandparents not being able to find where they had buried the heirloom silverware set and how mad the wife was at the husband for not taking it with them when they ran.
Even if the people didn’t hide their property I’m sure many still couldn’t find it. As I have been told a burning building interior will fall in on itself. Anything that wasn’t destroyed by fire would have been buried under the debris. After the fires it was hard to even figure out where some of the streets had been much less figuring out which smoldering plot of land was your property.
Sounds like you are talking of the Great Chicago Fire, which occurred simultaneously with the Peshtigo fires. Impossible for most people to understand how quickly these fires occurred. In Peshtigo, people standing in the streets suddenly burst into flame, as did buildings. But there were over 10 widely-spaced communities that were suddenly NOT, and hundreds of fatalities.

These and other suggestions from thousand's of square miles suggest the fires were started by multiple meteorite strikes. Forget bullet speeds. Meteorites that break apart in the upper atmosphere have been documented travelling more than 160,000 mph just before impact.

Forget the song, O'Leary's cow didn't start the fire.

When you have fires breaking out on both sides of Green Bay within seconds of each other, the logical reason remains meteorites.

The fire storms travelled hundreds of miles an hour. Only similar occurrence in nature was the speed of the lehar produced by the Mt. St. Helens eruption in 1980, which traveled 500-750 mph.

Back on topic, caches left behind by fire, flood, war, storm, no nearby bank, banks not reliable, little money in circulation: you get the idea. Add your own. Choose one and start researching.

well, I read some of the above posts, but not all so I might be repeating some.
I didn't see mention of robbery caches. Sometimes they got hundreds of pounds of gold in coins or bars. Now they knew there would be men with guns and fresh horses closing in from behind. The logical thing for them to do with the gold was for them to cache it so the weight wouldn't slow them down. They were wanted there so they had to leave the area voluntarily or if caught otherwise. The outdoors changes constantly so a lot of caches were never found. I researched one of Butch Cassidy's caches in Wind River area. He went back about 6 times but could not locate it by the instructions given him by his partner. It is probably still there. One day, if I live long enough I will go there and look.
Now the question of have I found anything. I don't know if this is an IRS post of not so I will say that I have left a couple of horse shoes and I have hung onto 13 silver dollars that I found in a post hole bank. Frank

#73 is very interesting. Always leave something in the hole to let other treasure hunters that the treasure was found.

My favorite Uncle made no secret that he saved gold coins. He even invested in a Colombian gold mine at one time. Shortly after announcing he would have a comfortable retirement, he died suddenly of a heart attack while raking leaves but nobody knows were he hid his gold. My Aunt thinks its in the attic but a search failed to reveal it. She now believes that a worker that was in the attic must have found them and stole the gold coins. I think they could still be buried in the yard. :dontknow: It happens. People die and the gold remains hidden.

bigcypresshunter said:
My favorite Uncle made no secret that he saved gold coins. He even invested in a Colombian gold mine at one time. Shortly after announcing he would have a comfortable retirement, he died suddenly of a heart attack while raking leaves but nobody knows were he hid his gold. My Aunt thinks its in the attic but a search failed to reveal it. She now believes that a worker that was in the attic must have found them and stole the gold coins. I think they could still be buried in the yard. :dontknow: It happens. People die and the gold remains hidden.

And that shows us what's really important in life. Just as your uncle was set for life, his life was ended. As much as I like cache hunting, I need to always realize that it's only as a passing dream.

Kentucky Kache said:
And that shows us what's really important in life. Just as your uncle was set for life, his life was ended.
It came as a real shock.

bigcypresshunter said:
Kentucky Kache said:
And that shows us what's really important in life. Just as your uncle was set for life, his life was ended.
It came as a real shock.

Sorry to hear about that. I know what it's like.

It came a real shock to me. I hope that a family member find the gold coins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back