Why were so many Cache(s), left behind?

Morning deep six: Things are actually rougher in the US. Down here, essentially the land owner has primary rights, the hunter can enter into an agreement with him on whatever terms they wish, generally 50%.

The gov'ts claim on treasures is basically, if it is of Historic or National interest, they theoretically have first choice. If they don't have a similar object in the Mueeum, they will buy it from you (?, one can hope,,no?). In the case of duplicates, they will keep the better one.

Any way that it the basics, but --------------.

Personally, I feel safer looking for treasures here, than in many areas of the US, both from the physical aspects, as well as the financial oes.

I presume that this is in Chihuahua?

Don Jose de La Mancha

Real de Tayopa said:
Morning deep six: Things are actually rougher in the US. Down here, essentially the land owner has primary rights, the hunter can enter into an agreement with him on whatever terms they wish, generally 50%.

The gov'ts claim on treasures is basically, if it is of Historic or National interest, they theoretically have first choice. If they don't have a similar object in the Mueeum, they will buy it from you (?, one can hope,,no?). In the case of duplicates, they will keep the better one.

Any way that it the basics, but --------------.

Personally, I feel safer looking for treasures here, than in many areas of the US, both from the physical aspects, as well as the financial oes.

I presume that this is in Chihuahua?

Don Jose de La Mancha

Yes, it is in Chihuahua.

Deepsix

A related question: why would someone put a cache in the ground and not simply hide it in the house? I'd much rather have my money near me where I can get to it. I know that there are a lot of caches that are hidden in old homes. Is the reason why we tend to focus on underground caches simply because we are MD'ers and not general "Treasure Hunters" per se? What percentage of caches would you estimate are underground compared to hidden in a house? If I was to hide a cache today I certainly wouldn't go out and start digging up my yard.

I think the answer is the weather. Also the type building material used
after moving from the substantial log cabin into a pine boarded shaty.
A strong storm or tornado could turn one into matchsticks.
Wouldn't you feel foolish if you had stasched your Jacksons in the
cupboard and come home to find it all blown away?

mts said:
A related question: why would someone put a cache in the ground and not simply hide it in the house? I'd much rather have my money near me where I can get to it. I know that there are a lot of caches that are hidden in old homes. Is the reason why we tend to focus on underground caches simply because we are MD'ers and not general "Treasure Hunters" per se? What percentage of caches would you estimate are underground compared to hidden in a house? If I was to hide a cache today I certainly wouldn't go out and start digging up my yard.

I think there are a number of reasons why people would cache their money outside rather than inside. OTHER PEOPLE living in the house is probably the biggest reason. They wanted their riches as far as possible from prying eyes, even when it was their own family.

We could probably add the distinct possibility of fire to the list also. I've found many caches both inside and outside (mostly outside). I think a lot just depends on the people that lived there. One thing they all seem to have had in common was that when outside, they always were in clear view of either the front or back door of the house,

Deepsix

I would suspect that, in northern climes where frost tends to lock up the ground for several months every year, the majority of caches would be in a place sheltered from frost. Buried in a dirt-floored basement, buried under a trap door or loose floorboard if no basement, buried inside the barn, pig 'hut', right next to the septic tank, possibly tight to the foundation, etc.

Diggem'

I suspect that there are as many reasons for hiding them as there are caches and the reasons for not recovering them would be death of the hider, failed memory of the hider, and serious changes to the terrain over a period of time. The specific reason for not recovering would be different percentages of each basic individual reason as stated.

I just started looking for rocks and stuff but this post wants me to go looking for caches! I have many old home sites on my property and a few sudden death stories from way back when... Thats why most of the caches got left behind I think, sudden death of the only person who knew the location.

One old homestead on my property has a story of the wife dying of sickness, then a year later the man and only daughter died suddenly in a house fire. Sad, but sounds like a good place to find a cache.

Another Man died in a tractor accident in the 1930's. Settling in my area dates back to the 1860s.

Anyone thinking of "The Legend of Wooly Swamp" by The Charlie Daniels Band?

Back in 1960 I built a detector from magazine plans,it worked well. I have found one fencepost bank with a jar of silver dollars, and one day I was sitting on the porch of an old house. I looked about and noticed a small screw eye in a tree limb. Too small for a swing, a bit of digging and a plumb bob rewarded me hansomly. It is the little things that tip one off. Bob

I know of a cache that was buried with $20,000 cash in a simple mason jar with a lid.It was not far down at all!Its LONG GONE now, but is a true story, some kids found it riding their 4 wheelers out in the woods!...

lonesomebob said:
Back in 1960 I built a detector from magazine plans,it worked well. I have found one fencepost bank with a jar of silver dollars, and one day I was sitting on the porch of an old house. I looked about and noticed a small screw eye in a tree limb. Too small for a swing, a bit of digging and a plumb bob rewarded me hansomly. It is the little things that tip one off. Bob

Those are very interesting finds. Can you tell more of the story? I understand if you can't.

There were Fanny May and Freddy Macs back in the great depression also. Only differents was that they were not so blaten about how corrupt they were. People did not trust banks. How were they to save money.

Cache it out. Hide money in their mattress, bury it in a mason jar where they could see the burial spot from the kitchen window(they spent a lot of time in the kitchen). They even had their own version of todays money belts. Secret pockets in overcoats.

I don't trust banks either. If it was not for my check being direct deposit then I would not have any accounts. I visit my money about as fast as it visits the bank. Then I buy gold, silver and other things that are untracable to the banking system. The feds... that's a different topic for a different discussion.

Buy American before it's to late...ops, it's to late already.

I do not trust banks either.
Worse than that, I do not trust banks that are manipulated by politicians or the government. :icon_scratch:

My grandmother lived to be one hundred and one. With her limited income, all of us figured that she was frugal enough to have a couple hundred dollars in checking and a small savings account. We were surprised to find out that she had just over a couple thousand in checking and a few hundred in savings. There was a few twenty dollar bills stashed in two or three envelopes also.

I was raised to be self sufficient and not depend on anyone else. This was grandma's plan also. And with that said, we managed to squirrel away(stash) a nest egg of cash, valuables(silver and gold that can bring in instant cash), and skills to live on in times of turmoil.

There are still a lot of people with this life stile to leave a small to good sized cache behind. Some of us know how our families operated to know where to look and other families stashed it slightly different so we would have to hunt for the caches. I still have that one aunt living that never threw anything away. Most people can relate to having one relative like my aunt that thinks she will take everything with her when she goes. The word hoard was invented with people like my aunt in mind.

The big reason why people hid their money is that they do not trust banks.

once upon a time there was no govt hand outs --if you were broke you starved , or begged hoping for a handout ---folks knew back then if they had no money --when they got old no one would want to tend em and take care of em --also they knew if they had money in the bank that folks would get em declared "crazy" and take over their assests -- so they hid "their" cash --from greedy wives / husbands , greedy kids and greedy kinfolk --

later on when govt run old folks homes became more common for "dumping off old folks"-- they by controlling the cash knew no one would dare to put em in a old folks home and forget about them, since if they did they would not tell any of em where the money was hidden at. --- slick old coots they were * however their control was only good because they told no one where the cash was at and they "doled" it out as they saw fit stringing the greedy folks along ( thus making the greedy folks treat old granny or grandpa with a bit of respect ) however they dare not write down its location for fear someone might find the directions and snag "their" money -- thus making them both powerless and useless --so when they passed on (died) often the knowledge of where their cash was stashed passed on with em.

clearly illegally gained money -- say from selling stolen goods or stolen money , moonshine ,drugs, gambling , sex trade , loan sharking could not be legally declared tax wise or banked (without drawing unwanted govt attention) thus it has to be hidden .

the same goes with gold coins ---in the 1933 they were declared "illegal" for us citizens to own by FDR -- the public did not want to be screwed by turning in gold for less valuible silver like govt told them to do -- but hide em or turn em in was your only choices. so hide it it was --- however it was not 1972 under nixon that it was made legal for the general public to own "US gold coins" again (although by law none should exist since they were all supposed to be turned in in 1933)-- so if a 31 to say 50 year old man hid gold coins in 1933 ---they would be 70 to89 by the time it was legal to own em again in the 1972 ( remember adverage life span is only 70 years of age *)-- so highly likely his mind would be shot by the time it was "legal" to dig em up --- thats if of course if he did not die outright before then. --

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back