Why were so many Cache(s), left behind?

lRandylInlOhiol said:
Cache Crazy said:
lRandylInlOhiol said:
Cache Crazy said:
I believe there are many caches that have never been found. If money consisted of gold and silver coins, and if there were no banks, where would YOU keep it? What kind of hiding place would you devise?
very true ..how many have you found :o

I've found them all, except for those which are still hiding. :wink:
give me a hint, on how many you have found :tongue3: and ill decide on weather or not i wanna start cache hunting :thumbsup:

He HAS given you a hint, but you haven't taken it. ::) ::)

Sometimes you don't need a md or shovel. All of a sudden WHAMMO.
That's when the adrenalin takes over and your pockets get full and you round
up all the cloth and burlap bags to get filled too. Maybe in your lifetime it will
happen only once but man what a RUSH. Good luck all you cache dreamers.

How do caches get left behind? No one's yet mentioned "time of war."

I'm told by some reliable sources just about everyone in southern ohio burried the good silverware before Morgan and pals arrived...since 99.999% of Ohioians in Morgan's path survived, most of the caches were revcovered by their owners...but some people forgot where they burried their stuff. One in particular was burried in the dark crawl space under the house, after danger had passed they were unable relocate the family jewels in the dark. As I understand it, word spread in advance of Morgan's Raiders "hide your valuables", all down the line.

The lament we hear is .....

"come take me by the hand;
lead me to a treasure and
then get out of my way."
The best advice you'll ever get;
you'll ignore just like the rest.
When walking down the treasure path;
wear shorts under your jeans.
I laced this verse and veritude;
with rhymes not real iambic;
but heed it not and you will see
results that lead to heartbreak".

siegfried schlagrule

Gardens were a perfect spot to hide the valuables, especially the wives butter and egg money. Digging in the garden was a normal enough activity, so nobody would think twice when they saw someone doing it. It would appear that they were either planting, weeding, cultivating,etc..

From the things I've read, the gardens were usually visible from the kitchen window so it was
easy to keep an eye on. Makes sense to me at least.

Mike

diamondjim said:
How do caches get left behind? No one's yet mentioned "time of war."

This is from Reply #1:

Wow, that's a wide question. There are so many reasons for caches, and the reasons for Caching differs from region to region.
During the Revolutionary and Civil Wars, plantation owners would "Cache" their valuables and belongings to keep them out of the hands of the enemy. This was a common practice.

This is from Reply #4:

Most of the time, especially during the wars, the cache was only known about by the man of the house. The women were not involved with finances in any way.

reasons for caches being left behind.... first different types of caches. i am sure your talking big loot but know as a kid we would take tobbaco cans fill them with marbles coins etc. stash them in the lofts in our barn. and being kids most times forgot about them. but as most say reasons being no one trusted banks in the past. plus doubt they had safety deposit boxes for items not being cash value. know in my grandfathers case he lived way out from any town so didnt have access to banks. mostly the fact that very few lived in towns most lived out. towns were very few back then. where as today you can drive to a bank in a few minutes would of taken them days on a mule or horse to get to them.

I had to respond to this discussion. This is my first post on this forum. I hope I don't get too 'wordy'.

I personally buried a small cache back in the early '60s in a Prince Albert can, red in color I believe, under the front porch of the house we lived in. Several Merc dimes, some wheat pennies, and get this real Confederate paper money, and a 2 1/2 dollar Indian gold coin that my Dad had given me.
He was a coin collector, if he found it in his change...LOL.
Yeah, it was real. I didn't think about it until I started MD'ing in the '80s. While looking thru a coin book back then, I realized what I had done. Talk about traumatic....yikes.
Yeah, I went back.
I lived in the suburbs of Detroit in the '80s. The stash was buried on the East side of Detroit,MI not too far from the Detroit River. No luck, the old house had burned down, basement filled in....etc. I still looked with my old Compass. No luck.
My Dad and I went back over there in 2007, just looking around, after all those years I finally told him what I had buried.
The old neighborhood had been redeveloped, new homes lots of fill, lots of distured dirt.
I honestly hope someone found that little cache, rather that leave it in the dirt.
If you know of someone that did, let me know. I'd be thrilled for whoever found it.
Finder's keepers.....ya know.

I did find somone else's cache once upon a time.......about 30 foreign coins in a vinyl pouch, down about 4-5 inches. It was hard to catch my breath. Some of the coins were brassy and others silvery, the weight wasn't there none were precious metal. But, the thrill certainly was there.

Present time, this is my third season out of the last five (sometimes life gets in the way of what I'd really like to be doing) that I'm looking for a cache of robber's loot. Well documented in historical articles, personal research, etc. Gotta love the searching.
I can't say anymore about it....sorry.

"If in doubt, dig it out" Stanl (MI)

I do not trust banks or big brother. I hide things of value under everyones nose and it's so obvious that it's overlooked. I stashed money in a cup in the cubbard, now I stash it else where. I have objects of value around the house also. A cache can also be recyclable things like copper and other metals. Like gold, silver...

All sorts of reasons for so many caches and why so many are still out there. I don't trust banks or other people to hold my money or valuables. I would not trust these same people with your valuables. I don't own credit cards and if I did, I would not trust them in other people hands. How about you?

I heard about a gold coin cache that is probably still in the ground. My hunting
buddy sold all kinds of coins at flea markets. Over the years he had one faithful
customer who ordered lots of gold currency. My friend moved around a lot but
eventually would always go back to this particular market.
Seems the wife of the man came by one day to tell my friend that her husband
had died. She wanted to know the best way to hide the gold coins. Well my
friend had already given this subject a lot of thought. So he tells her to get some
pvc tubing 4' long capped on one end. Then use a post hole digger to go down
a couple feet down in her back yard. Then put the capped end in the hole. Next
put the coins she wanted to hide in the tube with a waterproof filler in the empty
space. Add another pvc cap on top and tap the tube down in the pre-moistened
earth untill it was ground level. Fill cavity with dirt. Cover with big pot of cacti.
My buddy claims it to be cache hunter proof.

I'm in Texas, and it had its own reasons and seasons for caching. The years of big cattle business before convenient banks and railroads was fairly brief. Before and for years after the Civil War, there wasn't much to cache. Before the war, cash was so hard to come by that many men of considerable substance might not handle twenty dollars in cash in a year. For a good bit of that time, a common currency was a handwritten note good for "a cow and calf" that passed hand to hand and could be claimed eventually by the current holder from the original issuer. After the war, there was almost no cash and few enough cattle under any kind of control. When things settled down and men had cattle to deal, they dealt in gold and silver coin, heavy bags of it. While bags of silver were handled casually around a cow camp, it was unwise keep it findable around an isolated ranch house and nearly as dangerous to carry it many miles to a bank. A lot of it went into caches. There are many, many stories of men who cached and died or cached and forgot. Often, a wife knew her husband had hidden it somewhere close but couldn't find it. A number of those abandoned places looked like war zone even in the 30's and 40's after people dug them up looking for caches.

Once you get well into the 20th century, there were banks for those who had cash, but 20's and 30's small farmers just didn't have much cash. You don't find much money around their old places. Tell old timers you're looking for coins around old homesteads and they'll laugh and tell you that if their fathers lost a dime around the house, everyone would have been turned out to look until it was found.

Of course, there are also many, many stories of men in the open range days carrying coin who detected or suspected bandits on their trail and stashed their money and were killed or who couldn't find it again. And just as many stories of bandits who had to ride fast and hid their loot and were either killed by Rangers or couldn't find it again.

I personally think that stories that go back to the late 1700's and early 1800's in Texas about Spanish ranchers who were presumed to have had considerable cash hidden around their ranches are largely wishful thinking. These folks could maintain what for the time and place was a good life with very little cash. And when many of them pulled up stakes and made for more settled Mexico after the Texas revolution they would have carried off the money before anything else. They were moving FAST, ahead of the men who bore what was at the time the distasteful name of "cow boy" who raided south between the Nueces and the Rio Grande in the disputed territory.

I used to hide money from my X. He would take all of the money and spend it on guns, and other hunting supplies instead of help take care of the kids and their needs. I am sure years ago that was the same issues with both men and women. Years later as I was sorting thorugh some things I found several $20 bills in several different places including behind picture frames and coat pockets.

Hi ,with no banks etc., effectively, where would YOU leave any money? In Mexico wave after wave of revolutions , banditry, epidemics, etc, etc., accounted for most caches, much was never recovered and still remains to be found. They have kept me eating over the years, and I haven't even begun to touch the no that are still out there.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Real de Tayopa said:
Hi ,with no banks etc., effectively, where would YOU leave any money? In Mexico wave after wave of revolutions , banditry, epidemics, etc, etc., accounted for most caches, much was never recovered and still remains to be found. They have kept me eating over the years, and I haven't even begun to touch the no that are still out there.

Don Jose de La Mancha
It's not really my cash or the banks cash. It says Ferderal Reserve Notes and has a bunch of dead people(mostly presidents) on them. I'm a redneck and I use the barder system a lot.

Can the Feds live on the barder system. I know the banks can't.

HIO mi amigo Seamuss: first, peeps from Oregon or Washington aren't rednecks, but web footers. Too much water to have dirty necks. hehehehh

Personally I love pictures of Jackson and Grant on my bills.

I have a couple of Yaqui twins, run around 250 & 300 lbs each that are very luvin, can cook, clean up a camp, fetch water and firewood, experts in scratching your back, and are very warm on a cold frosty night. They go together , whatcha got to trade for them?

Don Jose de La Mancha

I have a redneck from rust and what little sun I get when traveling outside the Northwest. I don't have a dirty neck because to much rain running down my neck causing the rust.

I like Grants and Franklins myself but do not store them at the bank nor my mattress.

Hmm Seamuss, not interrested in a trade for the Yaqui Twins? Onlly slightly used. They also love digging up treasures. Excellent cat cooks, they have many recipes for tacos and misc. Economic conditions are the only reason that I would consider letting them go cheaply.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Real de Tayopa said:
Hmm Seamuss, not interrested in a trade for the Yaqui Twins? Onlly slightly used. They also love digging up treasures. Excellent cat cooks, they have many recipes for tacos and misc. Economic conditions are the only reason that I would consider letting them go cheaply.

Don Jose de La Mancha
I've got one redhead of like dimensions and capabilities with a "delicate" temper (she makes good biscuits ) , a Beretta .22 auto pistol , and about 100 pounds of mule shoes to trade .
What is the temperment of your pair ?

Real de Tayopa said:

Don Jose de La Mancha

I only went cache hunting in your country once, a large cache of gold coins. Unfortunately it had taken me almost ten years to convince the person who new its location to return as he had run afoul of the law down there. Long story short, we found the spring with no problem but someone had beat us to it. A very nice Hacienda was now there and a shrine had been built next to the spring.

There is more though. There was a large area of shallow depressions also close to the spring. From the relics my friend had recovered it was easy to see that these had been pit type structures and that a fairly large group of people had used them over a period of time. Bandits, Rebels, etc., )possibly even Villa due to its location) is the most likely. I wonder how many more smaller caches might be in the area. How did I know his story was true in the first place? He still has the old Super 8 film he shot of the spring and the pit houses. Looking into the spring, you can see a coin popping up now and then.

If you think you might have the connections to meet these people that are there now you might be able to get permission to look around. With the laws the way they are now and everything else going on down there I won't be going back. Drop me a PM if you're interested and I'll tell you where it is. You might already know.

Deepsix

Good morning truckinbutch: Hmmm, thinking, what condition and model is the Berretta? Temperment? sheehs they have been raised to believe that the male is always correct and to be submissive. A sad lack in our present Yankee gals sigh.

About the mule shoes-------? are they new with custom possibilities, or made of used rebar?

Don Jose de La Mancha

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back