Why even ask permission ???????????????????

If I caught someone detecting on my lawn, I would set the wife onto them ::) :o

Welcome to Tnet....

God bless
Peter

because stealing from others is wrong ---plain and simple---and if you don't ask to hunt somebodies "private" land thats what your doing- you could get hurt or arrested---the law doesn't have a first time screw up is free pass--- most folks take a dim veiw of "strangers" just coming onto the land that they pay the taxes for-plus you will causing a bad rep for the other honest detector types and most likely get the local home owners to gether and ban the sport locally ---now "public" land is differant.

la9 said:
Just because he asked in an unusual way, Dosn't mean
he meant what he said.

You hit the nail on the head, interesting all the answers and assumptions you get.

It wasn't the question that bothered me. It was your quoted comment that bothered me. "Its always OK until someone tells you no"

I have to say that it depends. On private property, I ALWAYS ask, it's just rude(among other things) not to. However, we have some areas locally that are owned by large resort corporations(areas out in the woods or otherwise undeveloped), I usually don't worry about it in these areas, as the process to get permission can take years, and often involves getting documents from a lawyer. I have been told both by local police and caretakers of these properties that being on them really isn't a big deal even tho' I technically don't have "permission". There have been 2 times that I was actually approached by people involved with the property, on one of them, he was just making sure I wasn't leaving a mess(I wasn't), the other time, I was told that "you can't MD here", and since then,I have gotten to know the caretaker, and he has even snuck me on the property. I guess it all comes down to how much the property is worth to the owner, from what I've seen, other than legal liabilities, most corporations don't care, on the other hand, I have yet to be on private property without a yes.

I guess I'd have to say, use common sense, and when in doubt, ASK !!!

I'm sure I miss out on some good ground, because if I don't have permission then I don't hunt it. It's as simple as that. Property owners deserve the right to approve or disapprove the activities that take place on their property, they deserve this "right of respect" because they own it. This applies to all property owners, individual or otherwise.

Hey la9,

You need to get yourself a piece of paper and a safety pin. Pin the suicide note right in the middle of your chest where it can be easily found. As the saying on the sign goes.....'Tresspassers will WISH they had been prosecuted'. But that's just an old Arizona boy talking. Good luck... and....can I be your beneficiary?

Bud

This is pretty much the same subject. On another forum I was explaining how I form a letter of introduction to a property owner and this......'detectorist' came right out, in front of God and everyone and started talking about how cool it was to hunt where you did not need to ask permission,...in graveyards. Swear to God.

Seems he had figured that when a loved one passed away the spouse would sometimes bury their wedding ring over the grave. I don't think he ever posted again, at least under the same name. You can imagine what his reception was.

Bud

gold fish said:
I guess I'd have to say, use common sense, and when in doubt, ASK !!!

That pretty much says it right there.

I'v got areas around here where land is owned by the
CITY OF PHILADELPHIA & the GIRARD ESTATE

These are Big Conglamorates who own land just for the purpose
of owning it. & I think to prevent any type of progress on it.

Being this is a couple Hundred mile North of Philly,
& there isn't one sign. and hunters hunt it,
I wouldn't think twice about just going on.

I tried researching the Girard Estate but there is so much BS
it is very hard to understand their true purpose.

Go ahead & go wherever you want . You can use your detector to find all those lead pellets you'll have to dig out . Seriously many people are really nice if approached correctly . There is an old racetrack close to me that I would love to detect but the owner said no because of previous md'ers that wasn't respectful to him & his propery . Real bummer .

teverly said:
So where do you live??I will come over and start digging on your property!!!
As always you need to treat others and thier property as you want to be treated and when you are detecting,what you do not only reflects on you,but the rest of us in this hobby as well..
ALWAYS ASK PERMISSION....

You can come over to my place and dig all you want, but I don't think the Gestapo that runs the complex would like it much.(HOA)( home owners association)

You can come over to my place and dig all you want

See ?

Why even ask permission ?????

If you are nice people will volunteer to let you search their property, without you needing to ask.

And to everyone that seems trigger happy,

You'd probably get life in prison,

Because I'm sure a judge thinks

that some idiot who just got a new metal detector and wondered on your property by mistake.

is probably not enough of a threat to justify your homicide

I'm just saying..........................

Hunting is hunting is hunting. Whether it be with a firearm or metal detector. Either way its stealing, poaching and trespassing all rolled into one.
Why ask permission? To mend fences with property owners from others who have done them wrong in the past AND if done correctly, may lead to more (if not better) places to search!

Confucius say:
"Better to ask and be turned down by one than to tresspass and be refused by many."

I live in West Virginia, you know how hillbilly's are,,,,,,,,, think i'll ask first, just hope i dont get shot at walking up to their door !

Some of the responses to the question are just as lame as the question itself. Permission should be asked to hunt private property, that's a no brainer. Don't be a butthead, ask!

And, to those that are saying "I'll blow the SOB away if he digs a penny on my land", are you really prepared to spend time in prison over a simple trespass, that would most likely result in probation and community service for the offender, if the case even went to trial?
Just think of the impact it would have on your family, not to mention you would lose everything in the lawsuit that would follow, if the guy trespassing was injured.

This type of thinking is just careless and dangerous. Your life isn't in danger from some guy trespassing with his metal detector. Call the police and have him removed from the property and press charges against him.

Always ask permission to hunt. There have been a lot of good reasons given already, from karma to fear of being shot at, to the image it passes on about us detectorists.

All those are great reasons... and here is another. Legal fees! Depending on where you hunt, or where you live, there are specific laws that govern how you conduct yourself. If you're unlucky enough to get caught and charged/proscecuted you may end up losing your gear, paying hefty fines, and legal fees, not to mention a possible criminal record.

It is funny that this topic came up today. This morning I was in court defending someone who took his Detector to an underwater wreck site, took a small artifact from a protected wreck, and when he surfaced had all his gear confiscated by authorities. Here is the tab:
$2500 in Scuba Gear
$1000 for and Excalibur 1000 (bought about 2 months ago)
$3500 for 14' zodiacand motor
$1000 in fines
$750 legal fees (to me ;D )
$8,500 Total bill

luckily, I got the confiscations returned, and the fines lowered to $250, but his bill is still $1,000. You have to find a lot of relics, jewelery and clad to pay that bill.

steve

spez401 said:
Always ask permission to hunt. There have been a lot of good reasons given already, from karma to fear of being shot at, to the image it passes on about us detectorists.

All those are great reasons... and here is another. Legal fees! Depending on where you hunt, or where you live, there are specific laws that govern how you conduct yourself. If you're unlucky enough to get caught and charged/proscecuted you may end up losing your gear, paying hefty fines, and legal fees, not to mention a possible criminal record.

It is funny that this topic came up today. This morning I was in court defending someone who took his Detector to an underwater wreck site, took a small artifact from a protected wreck, and when he surfaced had all his gear confiscated by authorities. Here is the tab:
$2500 in Scuba Gear
$1000 for and Excalibur 1000 (bought about 2 months ago)
$3500 for 14' zodiacand motor
$1000 in fines
$750 legal fees (to me ;D )
$8,500 Total bill

luckily, I got the confiscations returned, and the fines lowered to $250, but his bill is still $1,000. You have to find a lot of relics, jewelery and clad to pay that bill.

steve
Ouch!!!

W6PEA said:
teverly said:
So where do you live??I will come over and start digging on your property!!!
As always you need to treat others and their property as you want to be treated and when you are detecting,what you do not only reflects on you,but the rest of us in this hobby as well..
ALWAYS ASK PERMISSION....

You can come over to my place and dig all you want, but I don't think the Gestapo that runs the complex would like it much.(HOA)( home owners association)

When I posted this I was trying to be funny.....in the early 1970's i was in the service. I went out hiking in the back country here in San Diego county. I went over a barbwire fence. I had a land owner show up with a gun. He called the Sheriff, I almost ended up in jail. It was bad enough that they call the Shore Patrol.
I had to explain to my CO why I was picked up by the SP and brought back to Camp Pendleton and turned over to the MP's.....Ever since then I look for who ever owns the property and ask permission. Or I do not go over a fence or thru a gate to hike or look for anything. It will savce a lot of headaches !!
Maryland Searcher said:
Hunting is hunting is hunting. Whether it be with a firearm or metal detector. Either way its stealing, poaching and trespassing all rolled into one.
Why ask permission? To mend fences with property owners from others who have done them wrong in the past AND if done correctly, may lead to more (if not better) places to search!

Confucius say:
"Better to ask and be turned down by one than to tresspass and be refused by many."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back