What’s the saying about finding a cent on the ground? 1812 Large Cent surface find.

arbuckle

Mar 24, 2024
Out swinging in an area where I got a Barber quarter recently. Great 29-31, move my detector and see this [recreation after I sprayed it]:
IMG_9077.jpeg

I thought there’s no way it’s just been sitting here. Joked to myself that my missing cat probably dropped it for me to cheer me up. This is the second classic head cent I’ve found recently.

Enjoy!
IMG_9078.jpeg

IMG_9079.jpeg

IMG_9080.jpeg

IMG_9081.jpeg

Upvote 41
Out swinging in an area where I got a Barber quarter recently. Great 29-31, move my detector and see this [recreation after I sprayed it]:
View attachment 2167063

I thought there’s no way it’s just been sitting here. Joked to myself that my missing cat probably dropped it for me to cheer me up. This is the second classic head cent I’ve found recently.

Enjoy!
View attachment 2167064
View attachment 2167065
View attachment 2167066
View attachment 2167067
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

Woo hoo and Wow too! As a detectorist you develop an eye for man made objects. IMO it is in remarkably good shape considering the elements.

GREAT FINDING :)O

Never found one out West. I’m not sure it would buy much with the staggering localized inflation. Also not exactly easy to carry a bunch of small change across the country.

A Trime (3 cent postage coin back here) is about as small as it’s gotten for me. Most are hole punched to use as buttons. Not sure if it was to be cocky, utilitarian purposes, or they were sewn into the inside of vests?

Regardless - great find and keep your eyes to the ground!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back