Funny Lieutenant Story.....

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Is there any other kind.....?

Back around 1988, I was lowly Airman First Class (E-3, A1C) when walking out of the Base Exchange (BX) during lunch when an even lowlier Aiman Basic (E-1, AB) stopped me and asked.....

Him: Airman do you salute officers?

Me: Yes I do and turned to leave.

Him: I asked you if you salute officers?

Me: I answered you, and said yes.

Him: For the last time, do you salute officers?

Me: For the last f@#$ing time yes.

Him: Well I'm waiting.

Me: Waiting for what?

Him: For you to show me the proper respect and salute me.

Me: I don't salute Airman Basic's.

Him: Reaches for his collar and hat, and replies with oh s@%t!

Me: What?

Him: I grabbed the wrong uniform and hat, I was just promoted to 1st Lieutenant (0-2. 1st Lt).

Me: Congratulations sir, saluted, and left.

Gets worse......

Well my dad and I were stationed at the same base at the same time. Different Wings mind you. I was on days, he was on swings. Stopped by his shop after work and told him what happened. He got a good laugh out of it. Then I see the same Lieutenant walk by. Told my dad that's him. He goes him who? I said the Lieutenant. My dad looks up and goes MY LIEUTENANT?

Yells for the Lt to get in his office ASAP, the Lt sees me and his face goes red. My dad says bad enough an Airman catches a Lieutenant screwing up, but what makes it even worse, it was My Lieutenant who got called out by My Son. Lt goes yall are related and both stationed here.

My dad's troops hear the exchange, and took it upon themselves to change the name tag next to his office door and on his desk from Lt to AB.

A few days later he was referred to as AB so and so by the Squadron Commander at the weekly meeting. Where the Wing Commander asked why. After he was told. The Wing Commander said something along the lines of Lt when you screw up, you screw up big don't you.

Last edited:
Best or worst one I have depending on how you look at it,
Basic training and we get a trip to the px, my buddy and I are doing our shopping and he blurts out very loudly in the small px, “hey is that the head cook?” It was a full bird colonel and didn’t take too nicely too the New Jersey attitude from my buddy.

We used to salute officers we didn't like out in the field to see if we could get them shot.

We used to salute officers we didn't like out in the field to see if we could get them shot.

When we were in Uzbekistan we, the Air Force, had a no salute policy. The Army on the other hand, they had a salute policy and tried to shove it down our throats.

They use to seek out AF personnel and if they failed to salute, rip them a new one. Or chastise us for failing to salute our own officers. Well one Army Captain laid into one of our SSgt (Aircrew members) for not saluting him. So one of our LTCs milled around until said Capt appeared. Well the Capt was engrossed in educating the Lts with him and failed to see and salute our LTC. Who proceeded to rip him a new one very loudly, then had him greet and salute a sign by the gym for half an hour. The Army backed off on us AF people that is for sure.

Same place O'dark hundred and blacker than black out, walking down generator hill in the pouring down rain, trying to keep my footing in that pudding mud (That is slicker than whale snot) when I came upon another brave soul walking up the hill. I greeted them with how's it going. To which he replied fine but where I come from they salute officers. Used my photon light and looked at his hat and saw Lt bars (Army Lt to be exact). i apologized and saluted, and went my way. A few seconds later I hear a string of profanity as the same Lt slides quickly by me going down hill on his face.

I couldn't help myself as I walked by him at the bottom of the hill as I saluted and again greeted him with how's it going sir......

There was a love hate relationship between us and the Army at Karshi Khanabad (K2, Camp Stronghold Freedom) Uzbekistan that was for sure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back