What Is It From A Colonial Site?

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey folks. Found this the other day at a colonial site here in the Shenandoah Valley. I've pulled an 1801 LC, tombac buttons, pewter spoons, etc. from this same site. Not sure about this thing. Any ideas?

Attachments

• tube1.JPG
    tube1.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 161
  • tube2.JPG
    tube2.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 162
  • tube3.JPG
    tube3.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 162

Attachments

• powder measures.jpg
    powder measures.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 78
Upvote 0
Thanks Rob....I am still not seeing it?The one in the middle,of that picture(I own several)doesnt have a lip,thats the cap that looks like one

Upvote 0
Hmmmm,I kind of see....I wish there was a screw hole in the lip!
th.jpg

Upvote 0
Thanks Rob....I am still not seeing it?The one in the middle,of that picture(I own several)doesnt have a lip,thats the cap that looks like one

The gun powder measures of earlier times are generally straight tubes, rather than tapered. This item here has been described as tapered by the finder, and does appear to have a somewhat conical shape. Additionally, powder measures are closed at one end (capped end), along with some type of handle, chain attachment, or some other additional attachment on the piece. The mystery item here has none of those characteristics.

Brass 18th Century or Early 19th Century candle snuffer may be a better match. Google search those key words, and we see similar shapes and designs.

CC Hunter

Upvote 0
:icon_thumright:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks all. I think I will add another item to my "mystery" collection. :icon_scratch:

Stonewall if you ever go to any shows that our coming up like the one in Fredericksburg in a few weeks, throw her in your pocket and ask some of the dealers & experts there, one of them is going too come up with something that will satisfy you.. :occasion14:

Upvote 0
Stonewall if you ever go to any shows that our coming up like the one in Fredericksburg in a few weeks, throw her in your pocket and ask some of the dealers & experts there, one of them is going too come up with something that will satisfy you.. :occasion14:

Will do. Thanks.

Upvote 0
The items appears to be the top portion of a brass candlestick (candle holder), circa late 18th through early 19th century. On the top, the edge lip would provide a drip stop for wax.

Portions of brass candlesticks and chambersticks, are often found while searching around early homesites, and come in a variety of shapes and styles.

CC Hunter

I agree that it has the characteristics of a brass chamber stick.

$T2eC16hHJHQE9nzEztUqBRJ66ZshSw~~60_3.JPG

DCMatt

Upvote 0
..... This item here has been described as tapered by the finder, and does appear to have a somewhat conical shape. ....

CC Hunter

How one can really tell from the condition that this piece is in whether its conical or not is a mystery to me. It may well be, but I'm not seeing it.

Just for the record, Rick, can you tell us what the ID of the hole is?

As for it's being a powder measure or not, I will leave that determination up to those with more expertise on the subject than I have.

Upvote 0
How one can really tell from the condition that this piece is in whether its conical or not is a mystery to me. It may well be, but I'm not seeing it.

Just for the record, Rick, can you tell us what the ID of the hole is?

As for it's being a powder measure or not, I will leave that determination up to those with more expertise on the subject than I have.

Rob - ID is right at 3/4 of an inch. It does have a slight taper to it. I'm going to post another pic - might help.

Upvote 0
Here's another pic - don't know if it will help any.

Attachments

• colonial_mystery3.JPG
    colonial_mystery3.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 65
Upvote 0
Okay .. Thanks. Let's see .. It's not a bugle piece, it's not powder measure ... being tapered, it's probably not a candle stick or candle mold ... yet it is made of brass, and part of it is round, so as per the parameters set forth on this forum, by default it is a rosette or blazer button. That's my final say!

Upvote 0
Okay .. Thanks. Let's see .. It's not a bugle piece, it's not powder measure ... being tapered, it's probably not a candle stick or candle mold ... yet it is made of brass, and part of it is round, so as per the parameters set forth on this forum, by default it is a rosette or blazer button. That's my final say!

No, no, it's a Block A Confederate coat button that's been stretched!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back