What Is It From A Colonial Site?

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Attachments

• tube1.JPG
    tube1.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 161
  • tube2.JPG
    tube2.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 162
  • tube3.JPG
    tube3.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 162
what would the likliness of a bugle even being in a colonial site?It doesnt sound like this is a mixed site?

Excellent question Kuger. The site has a very bold spring (70 gpm) and is very close to an area that served as a winter camp for Confederate soldiers, which is what initially drew to the location. Some of the items I've found thus far date circa 1750-1820. That's all I can tell you.

Upvote 0
what would the likliness of a bugle even being in a colonial site?It doesnt sound like this is a mixed site?

Not only that, the mouthpiece for bugles I've seen is smaller in diameter than the hole on this piece, which appears larger than the nickle. Would take a really strong set of lungs to blow through that, and surely more than most any adult could muster, much less some child playing with a "cheaply made" toy bugle. :icon_scratch:

CC Hunter

Upvote 0
The Brass Mouthpiece for 19th Century bugles is made of cast brass, and machine finished. The item posted by Old Stonewall appears to be rolled sheet brass or copper, and is even described as having a side seam (indicative of formed sheet metal). I've never seen a side seam on a bugle mouthpiece. Years ago, I dug a bugle mouthpiece in a Confederate camp, along with a cast I button, Hillborough Military Academy button, and part of an English manufactured blockade run/import belt plate. This item in question is unlike any bugle mouthpiece I've seen or held.

CC Hunter

Ok, another strike against a bugle mouthpiece.

Upvote 0
If it is a bugle Stonewall more of less a toy bugle think we are ruling out bugle all together, i think CC Hunter brought up some other good guesses i tried looking for some of the possible info he said about the top of a Parasol top cap but could not find any.. hopefully I will look through this post tomorrow and find the answer, i got plenty of relics like this that need IDing so hopefully you will find out what it is soon! Hopefully you can go back tomorrow and play around in the spot some more! :occasion14:

Upvote 0
If it is a bugle Stonewall more of less a toy bugle think we are ruling out bugle all together, i think CC Hunter brought up some other good guesses i tried looking for some of the possible info he said about the top of a Parasol top cap but could not find any.. hopefully I will look through this post tomorrow and find the answer, i got plenty of relics like this that need IDing so hopefully you will find out what it is soon! Hopefully you can go back tomorrow and play around in the spot some more! :occasion14:

Yeah, I'm going back. Thanks everyone for your help. I'm going to bed. I'll check in tomorrow to see if there have been any other guesses for clues.

Upvote 0
Watering can spout?

Upvote 0
Are you sure it isn't the remains of a powder measure?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
That would be my best guess, Rick.

Thanks Rob. HutSiteDigger had made that suggestion as well. I'll go with that unless something more definitive comes in.

Upvote 0
Thanks Rob. HutSiteDigger had made that suggestion as well. I'll go with that unless something more definitive comes in.

Sorry Rick .. Among his many, I must have missed his suggestion of this being a powder measure???

Looks similar too a enfield scabbard tip, from the site you were hunting could be a pre cw scabbard tip, will check on some colonial artifact books I have and hope I find it! good luck! :occasion14:

I was thinking also the end piece to like a trumpet or something to do with candles but I have seen some odd looking scabbard tips before that could resemble this, i'm trying to image taking the end of that artifact where its folded and see if the artifacts get shorter in length or if it was the same length as the rest of the piece.

Powder Horn also comes too mind, So hard to tell with the rest of the piece like that folded.. Gonna be interesting too 100% ID it.. Gonna look through some colonial books I got one that is 200 pages..

Here is a picture of the end piece of a brass bugle, it looks very similar in style to yours Stonewall, wouldn't say 100% it is it but it sure does look like, there is a few other things it could be but this is the only one that really resembles you're artifact and it looks like that piece got shorter @ the end there and plugged into another brass tube kinda like in the photo you can see how all those tubes attach to themselves.

Yah that could also be it, def. a good answer CC.. i know many bugles back in the early 19th century were really cheaply made, this could be a good answer CC is got, wonder if there are any photos of any vintage Parasol top caps too look @.

Upvote 0
Sorry Rick .. Among his many, I must have missed his suggestion of this being a powder measure???

Indeed, "Powder Horn" and "Powder Measure" are quite different items. :)

Seems we are seeing the shotgun approach to identification there. Fire off enough, and maybe something will hit target.

CC Hunter

Upvote 0

I'm a bit ignorant on the details about that item, but I assumed he was referring to the tip on the powder horn. Thanks for the clarification Rob.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have no ideas left guys but I have never seen a powder measure with a top like that and if it is like the E-bay auction type that is quite "modern".I am not saying it isnt,but I would like to see a picture

Upvote 0
Seems like the possibilities could be a lot of things.. here is another guess, though im sure its more of less not, but a possible Ink pen holder? somewhat like in photo

Attachments

• pen.jpg
    pen.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 113
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back