Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Attachments

• what1.jpg
    what1.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 1,983
  • what2.jpg
    what2.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 1,984
BigCypress, thats a pretty cool platter (or charger?) What size is it? Any back marks? Could they be raking for snakes? I hope someone knows more than I do.

Upvote 0
Its not really a plate. More like a candy dish or food platter, rectangular about the size of your keyboard, cut off about 4 inches.

We cant figure what they are doing, when, or where. The plate appears to be a reproduction with an old picture.

Upvote 0
I suppose this is obvious, but was there any kind of inscription on the back?

Best guess given your area would be alligator eggs, like the link you posted earlier.

If it was out here, I'd say seining for smelt. The indians used to do this with forked sticks and fine netting.

Upvote 0
Jeffro said:
I suppose this is obvious, but was there any kind of inscription on the back?

Best guess given your area would be alligator eggs, like the link you posted earlier.

If it was out here, I'd say seining for smelt. The indians used to do this with forked sticks and fine netting.
The back says made in china. :D

Its a reproduction not necessarily related to Florida.

Upvote 0
All good ideas. It almost looks like irrigation, but for what?...trees?

Upvote 0
whitt459 said:
working irrigation ditches in a pecan.(some kind of nut)or fruit tree farm whitt459
Are the ditches to drain away swamp water or to heavily irrigate? What fruit trees need or could grow with such a high water level?

Upvote 0
ya, maybe harvesting pecans or nuts, there are tons of pecans here, back then im sure they did not have machines to pic them up.

Upvote 0
actually i doubt nuts, look they are wearing some kinda wader's. so working in water for sure.

Upvote 0
Waders, or tall boots. They all have hats. Looks foreign. A rubber plantation?

Upvote 0
I would hazard a guess of either a tree farm where they are growing pulpwood trees or something similar. ???

A test plantation of eucalyptus (background) and poplars (foreground) irrigated with waste water in India.

w0312e0i.jpg

Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
All good ideas. It almost looks like irrigation, but for what?...trees?

Cleaning irrigation ditches for some type of orchard was, and is my only guess...
Have a great day, Leon...

Upvote 0
i think they are gathering crawdads,looks like louisiana..but just a guess...

Upvote 0
I believe that painting is from an old photo taken in Utah at an apple orchard,I've seen an old photo that was very similiar.

The man in the foreground is cleaning an irrigation ditch,in front of his feet a wooden irrigation gate can be seen.He is using an eye hoe.

I don't believe he is wearing waders but high top work boots.The workers may be Mexican.

Around the edge of the dish are flowers (apple blossoms?)and leaves ,can't discern from the picture whether or not they are from an apple tree.

My guess

hasbeen

Upvote 0
I think that what ever the men are doing it would relate to the dish...Is it a dish that is used for crayfish or some type of food specific to the region.....In victorian times they had a special dish for everything

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back