Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Attachments

• what1.jpg
    what1.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 1,983
  • what2.jpg
    what2.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 1,984
I did not read every reply so this may have been stated already but it maybe a cranberry bog. Here in New Jersey the main Cranberry farming started in 1840. One of the most common ways of harvesting cranberries is to flood the field then rake the vines so the berries float to the top of the water then you just skim them off. Of course today this is all automated with machines.

I hope this is helpful.

NJ

Upvote 0
TreasureTales said:
The Chinese made lots of dinnerware for export...they would try to appeal to the markets and therefore create designs or pictures on the china that were familiar to the market (the buyers of their wares) rather than depict Chinese scenes. So this platter may very well be an export item depicting something common (at the time) in another country...usually Britain. If it is a newer Chinese platter, then it could be depicting an American scene. IOW, just because it's made in China doesn't necessarily mean it's a Chinese scene.

Trees in California are sometimes irrigated the way the trees in this scene are. The practice is not as common anymore because it often was a waste of freshwater. And rice is not grown under trees, it is grown in semi-flooded fields in full sun...not ditches under or between trees. Considering all these things, I agree that its a mayhaw orchard and the fruits are either being harvested or the irrigation ditches are being cleaned.

Learn something new everyday here...never heard of mayhaw jelly until this thread.
I agree with all this. Only the platter is from China, not necessarily the pic. The hats would make me think protection from the sun. Rice is not grown under and between trees. With no baskets, I dont think they are harvesting, but maybe cleaning old style irrigation ditches with eye hoes. I dont see an irrigation gate, but maybe...looks like dead stumps or old fence posts to me. :)

Upvote 0
My turn to backtrack. I just threw in the rice thing because it was just a possibility. The Cranberry thing is more likely I admit. I don't know diddly about cranberries and only wonder how much cranberry growing was done in the era of that plate? Do we even know how old it might be? Food for thought. Monty, da rice king

Upvote 0
Monty said:
Ok, Montana Jim, wanna rassle? They don't plant rice seed, the sprig it in any place that they find standing water. Now days they have irrigated fields that they actually flood every year. It's the dress of the men who are tilling or doing whatever they are doing that kinda' throws me. If it was a depiction of the USA in the early years, rice farming was done in the south, especially around the civil war years and the workmen would likely be slaves. They're not. I never knew they cultivated those mau mau berries ;) but the only ones I knew about around here were in the east Texas swamps where they more or less grew wild. But I haven't actually seen them, just heard about them. The picture gives me the impression of a plantation or large farming operation rather than just a couple of farmers out doing whatever. Dang, now I have myself confused. And I was all the way up to .051% right in my guessing too. ::) Monty
I would have to agree here that maypops or mayhaws, until recently, just grew wild in the swamp. Even though the plate may not be old, the picture probably is. I dont think someone would bother painting a couple of farmers either. I think its a plantation or large operation where the workers are even dressed alike. Maybe it is just an old wasteful style of irrigation. I was thinking something more exotic. Whatever, it is something to talk about. :)
chong2mry said:
hey those lil apple things are crab apples.
what apple things?

Upvote 0
mayhaw things, my grandpa used to call them crab apples, i guess cause they were so bitter.

Upvote 0
Trees have no place in a cranberry bog. I've heard some good ideas, but cranberries aint it. Ocean Spray (whom I've worked for) owns or controls most of the US bogs, which they've given me tours of... trees don't fit in.

Upvote 0
The trees seem to all be the same age from their size and the water seems to be in a logical pattern, I am not sure what kind, but I would guess some kind of fruit bearing trees that were purposely planted, maybe gum trees. But just a guess
Eddy

Upvote 0
nhbenz said:
Trees have no place in a cranberry bog. I've heard some good ideas, but cranberries aint it. Ocean Spray (whom I've worked for) owns or controls most of the US bogs, which they've given me tours of... trees don't fit in.

Exactly!

On the pic that I provided on my earlier post there are no trees in site except those in the background.

Question: Is there a signature on the illustration? I'm thinking that either a photo or an illustration was provided to the Chinese artisans in order for manufacturing. If so, perhaps we could track the name of the western artist.

Tony

Upvote 0
Angelo said:
nhbenz said:

Exactly!

On the pic that I provided on my earlier post there are no trees in site except those in the background.

Question: Is there a signature on the illustration? I'm thinking that either a photo or an illustration was provided to the Chinese artisans in order for manufacturing. If so, perhaps we could track the name of the western artist.

Tony
No signature that I could remember seeing. What confuses me is that the trees do not seem to me to be planted in clear rows, even though the drainage or irrigation ditches do appear to be layed out square.

Upvote 0
No signature that I could remember seeing. What confuses me is that the trees do not seem to me to be planted in clear rows, even though the drainage or irrigation ditches do appear to be layed out square.
[/quote]

That's what I noticed. And for that reason I'm leaning towards an illustration rather than a copy from photo. The artist drew it on site or from memory. The trees were more than likely in rows. However, the artist depicted the scene as shown to give it depth and artistic balance.

All of the sudden I'm an art critic. AND WHY IN THE *H#E$L&L DID YOU HAVE TO TELL YOUR MOM THAT WE WOULD HAVE THE ANSWER!

Tony

Still searching.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back