We Found This in Bolivia but Can it be Dated and or Identified?

capt dom

Nov 9, 2006
Jupiter, Florida USA

Attachments

• shells 007 (1).jpg
    shells 007 (1).jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 1,079
I dont know what kind of metal tools the ancient Inca Indians had but they appear to me to be saw marks. Im just trying to get the conversation going. Great pics BTW.

Upvote 0
Dear Capt. Dom;
Just as I suspected my friend. The artifact in question was carved with modern high speed tools. The give-away is in the photo which I am attaching to this post. If you examine the X on the forehead of the figurine in photo *sword016.jgp* (circled in yellow) you will see where the the first line of the X was started in the upper left and it continued down to the lower right. The second line was started in the upper right and it continues down towards the lower left.

If the X were carved using ancient methods, the juncture where the two lines meet to form the X would be equal, yet this is not the case with your artifact. The second line is clearly deeper than the first line and there is an abrupt change in depth. Had the artifact been hand shaped, that juncture would have been completely smooth, with both lines being of equal depth.

Also, we can see where the fiber saw left a very thin hairline channel in the second groove which is circled in the color red. Had this piece been carved using ancient methods, that hairline groove would not be there.

(EDIT) Also, the whitish, powdery substance in the grooves of the piece is accomplished by brushing the piece with a quick lime paste that is used to seal adobe walls with here. It's called *cal* and it's an effective substance for adding an old look to stone pieces.
Your friend;
LAMAR

Attachments

• sword 016.jpg
    sword 016.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 295
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
lamar said:
Dear group;
Wait a second everyone! How did I get involved in all of this mess anyway?
Because you are the best qualified to solve this ID LOL. ;D

lamar said:
This would mean that the stone was shaped using a jeweler's Foredom style high speed grinder (or a Dremel style tool).
Dremel? :icon_scratch: But didnt you say in reply #38 "You may however rest assured that the modern stone *artifacts* are pretty much carved in exactly the same manner as the ancient ones, using almost the exact same crude techniques and methods."
Dear bigcypresshunter;
Allow me to clarify my prior statement a bit my friend. I've watched local natives carving stone artifacts using the exact same tools, skills, methods and techniques as their ancient ancestors and I've also seen others doing the exact same thing, only taking far less time in the process by using modern electric tools.

Of course the articles which are shaped using the ancient methods are much more difficult to discern as being modern, hence they tend to cost more.
Your friend;
LAMAR

Upvote 0
lamar said:
Dear bigcypresshunter;
Allow me to clarify my prior statement a bit my friend. I've watched local natives carving stone artifacts using the exact same tools, skills, methods and techniques as their ancient ancestors and I've also seen others doing the exact same thing, only taking far less time in the process by using modern electric tools.

Of course the articles were are shaped using the ancient methods are much more difficult to discern as being modern, hence they cost more.
Your friend;
LAMAR
OK thanks for explaining. I thought we were talking about the item at the top of this page.

The North American Indians here do the same for the tourists. :) Some of the modern "authentic" Seminole Indian items are very high priced. And with huge gambling profits, they surely dont need the money.

I thank you for being brave enough to help with the ID. The truth is the only answer we are interested in. Its always a pleasure reading your posts. :icon_thumright:

Upvote 0
Thanks for the education on what
to look for......
I'm not sure it feels so much better being an unwitting dupe
than a dastardly but successful smuggler of national patrimony......
but either way....
like I said earlier the sun will still rise tomorrow....

I guess the following photo may not be so accurate....
after all....

Attachments

• dos-equis-boring.jpg
    dos-equis-boring.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 280
Upvote 0
I dont know where you bought it but I love to buy from yard sales and flea markets but one thing I will never do is buy from a street vendor. Dont worry Capt Dom you are not boring. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Upvote 0
I wish I could find the guy
that made it!

If it is machine made.

I would buy a dozen or so more of his works!

But, .... I would tell him not to break them... Lamar

Then, I wouldn't have to gorilla glue them back together! :smileinbox:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back