We Found This in Bolivia but Can it be Dated and or Identified?

capt dom

Nov 9, 2006
Jupiter, Florida USA

Attachments

• shells 007 (1).jpg
    shells 007 (1).jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 1,079
traderoftreasure said:
here is a similar knife from this site http://www.precolumbianweapons.com/knives.htm

I just found that too... looks remarkably close... eh?

As for your blood stains - who knows. I've seen thousand year old prehistoric paintings exposed to Montana weather and they are still red. Most likely from iron oxid, but... maybe some blood mixed in?

Anyway - Cool artifact. Seems like a reputable museum might be the right place to get an ID on this piece.

Upvote 0
traderoftreasure said:
blood is what darkened the tip most likely.

Just an observation, but would you not have expected the low points of the incised lines to have picked up the residue & not the high points?

I know nothing about these, but I always get worried when I see a perfect looking (although broken, which I guess could be ritual to break its power, not uncommon in ancient cultures) ancient object & then hear it was brought :-\

Good luck on the ID, & hope you paid a fair price, just in case :wink:

Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
traderoftreasure said:
blood is what darkened the tip most likely.

Just an observation, but would you not have expected the low points of the incised lines to have picked up the residue & not the high points?

I know nothing about these, but I always get worried when I see a perfect looking (although broken, which I guess could be ritual to break its power, not uncommon in ancient cultures) ancient object & then hear it was brought :-\

Good luck on the ID, & hope you paid a fair price, just in case :wink:
thats a pretty good observation it does appear to have been grooved in the incised lines after the staining??

Upvote 0
Thanks for worrying about us getting ripped off folks...

I did purchase it in a broken state. I did not spirit it out of some grave site.
If some jamoke sat around just 10 or twelve years ago
beating a couple of rocks together to make this
I am just as happy to have it!

Upvote 0
I removed my post because it wasnt helping. ;D

Its easier to accept a piece as authentic when its dug out of the ground. Thats why we always ask the question if it was dug or bought. It helps with the ID. Since it was purchased there is no help there and we will move on. I hope someone in the forum can help.

Upvote 0
I began searching some time ago and wondered the same as others but seems moot now. One thing I was going to mention, if it was "is" an old artifact, gluing it was probably one of the worst things you could have done, like cleaning a coin that may have HAD value. Either case, I have found nothing other than what ppl posted already.

Paul

Upvote 0
Well, honestly, I think you need a real expert... someone who knows Bolivian antiquities. It's hard to say if it is old as dirt, or if the guy put another one out for sale as soon as you left... speaking from experience here. >:(

One thing for sure, probably not Mayan from Bolivia. :laughing7:

Hope it's a good one! :hello2:

Upvote 0
Montana Jim said:
Lucas said:
One thing for sure, probably not Mayan from Bolivia. :laughing7:

So, it's impossible that an artifact traveled from southern Mexico to Boliva?

No, you can't rule anything out in this game, although it makes it less likely :wink:

Upvote 0
naturegirl said:
There is a guy in the Artifacts section who knows quite a bit about South American artifacts, you might post there.
somebody send him a pm. ;D

Upvote 0
capt dom said:
I couldn't find the artifact section so...

Whomever can pm the guy by all means...

Go to your Ignore Board preferences and see if you have the artifact section on "ignore"

You should see the topic heading on the main forum page if it is not "ignored."

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Upvote 0
Dear Capt Dom;
It seems that you have purchased an *authentic* Incan artifact my friend. I've seen lots of those stone daggers for sale around Sucre, Potosi and Oruro and they are carved by the local Collas and then sold to tourists in order to supplement their VERY meager incomes.

You may however rest assured that the modern stone *artifacts* are pretty much carved in exactly the same manner as the ancient ones, using almost the exact same crude techniques and methods. Even though your stone dagger may not be the real McCoy it nonetheless is a wonderful memento of your trip through the Cordillera.
Your friend;
LAMAR

Upvote 0
Dear Capt Dom;
May I ask what brought you to Bolivia, my friend?
Your friend;
LAMAR

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back