Virginia Button(Wartime Mfd.), Jews Harp & A ROMAN Coin found in VA??!? VIDEOS

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Virginia Button(Wartime Mfd.), Jews Harp & A ROMAN Coin found in VA??!? VIDEOS

Hey T-Net. :wink: Jeff(UmrGolf2000) and myself got out again yesterday to one of our fields that has just recently been
plowed, taking a break from the city lot where we dug the Eagle "A"s. We wanted a change of pace, and the owner of the field called us yesterday to let us know that he'd just got done discing the field. Well, we knew that this would pretty much make it a new spot again. We ended up having a good day digging a Southern Wartime MFD. Virginia Button and many other goodies! So without further adieu, here's the pics and videos:

-Virginia Button-Wartime MFD "Virtus w/ Sword Raised" by Canfield Brothers/ Baltimore
-Constantine Roman Copper/Bronze coin
-1824 Large Cent
-1856 Large Cent
-1863 Fatty Indian
-1860s Fatty Indian
-Confederate Enfield Blown-through bullet
-Lead filled hat rosette
-War of 1812 Eagle w/shield cuff button
-War of 1812 "Artillery Corps" Eagle Button
-Artillery Fuse
-1600s Ring (Broken)
-Jews Harp
-Reins guide-broken
-Broken Spur
-Broken shoe buckles, flat buttons, etc.

Here's the Virginia button fresh from the Ground:
VA Button April 14, 2010.jpg

Va Button April 14, 2010(3).jpg

IMG_0135.JPG

1821 Large Cent, 1856 Large Cent, 1867 or 68 Indian Head "Fatty"
IMG_0164.JPG

Virginia Button after cleaning:

Front: Note, this is a silver gilted button.
IMG_0145.JPG

IMG_0158.JPG

Back: Canfield and Brothers / Baltimore. This makes the button worth more as it is a Southern-made, Wartime, button

IMG_0157.JPG

War of 1812 "Artillery Corps" Eagle button with Cannon and cannonballs
IMG_0160.JPG

Constantine Roman Copper/Bronze Coin?? (The dug coin on the left is next to one that I received from a charity after donating money for a cure to breast cancer...they sent it to me as a "thank you" token. Its probably only worth $20 but is a really cool coin) Notice the ribbon in the hair of both coins. It looks VERY similar)

IMG_0167.JPG

IMG_0168.JPG

Part of a Plate or pin with Eagle's Head and a star.....It is folded over on itself....It almost looks like a number "1"....
Eagle Head Pin.jpg

Group Shot
IMG_0171.JPG

VIDEOS

CONTINUED BELOW

Upvote 0
Re: Confederate Wartime Mfd. Virginia Button plus A Roman Coin...VIDEOS ADDED

Blown-through Enfield:
IMG_0177.JPG
IMG_0178.JPG
IMG_0182.JPG

1600-1700s Ring. Would've loved to find this one whole:
IMG_0180.JPG
IMG_0181.JPG

CLOSEUPS:
IMG_0172.JPG
IMG_0173.JPG
IMG_0174.JPG
IMG_0175.JPG

P.S.-Here's how we ended the weekend on Sunday after digging those buttons! :icon_thumleft: :wink:
April 13 2010 Josh fishing.jpg
April 13 2010 Jeff fishing.jpg

Re: Confederate Wartime Mfd. Virginia Button plus A Roman Coin found in VIRGINIA

you guys are on a serious roll.
great relics and coins.
i haven't pulled a fish from one of my sites in YEARS.

Re: Confederate Wartime Mfd. Virginia Button plus A Roman Coin found in VIRGINIA

dwayne sueno said:
you guys are on a serious roll.
great relics and coins.
i haven't pulled a fish from one of my sites in YEARS.

Thanks dwayne ;D I didn't know what to think when that largemouth popped out of the hole :laughing7: Honestly though, that Roman Bronze kinda caught me by surprise.. I kept telling Josh that I felt like Crusader for a couple minutes :laughing9: :laughing9:

Re: Confederate Wartime Mfd. Virginia Button & A Roman Coin found in VA?! VIDEOS

more awesome stuff from VA!!! great hunt guys. I was wondering why you are kissing those fish though?

Re: Confederate Wartime Mfd. Virginia Button & A Roman Coin found in VA?! VIDEOS

Great Finds Josh!!! Like the button and coins. You and Jeff need to hop a flight to Vegas and gamble with the streak you guys are on. You certainly can't complain about your spring finds to date. WTG, Quindy.

cntrydncr1 said:
more awesome stuff from VA!!! great hunt guys. I was wondering why you are kissing those fish though?

Thanks Deb! When are you coming down ??? We kiss the fish because we are pretending that we're pro fisherman :laughing7: Actually Josh was a pro fisherman before he became a diggin man :laughing9: He spanked me on Sunday 3 fish to my 1

VOL1266-X said:
Great Finds Josh!!! Like the button and coins. You and Jeff need to hop a flight to Vegas and gamble with the streak you guys are on. You certainly can't complain about your spring finds to date. WTG, Quindy.

Thanks Quindy, the spring detecting gods have been good to us thus far ;D

VOL1266-X said:

LOL...Thanks Quin.... :wink: Our research has been paying off. Alot of time and effort.......Maybe I can find me one of those UCV/GAR medals like the one on your avatar :wink: :wink:

ooks like an awesome day to me ! Let us know what you findout about that roman coin ! Crusader should be ale to help !! MaineRelic .

MaineRelic said:
ooks like an awesome day to me ! Let us know what you findout about that roman coin ! Crusader should be ale to help !! MaineRelic .

Definitely, I would love to know what that coin really is ??? I don't know that it's even Roman... It was just mere chance that Josh had one that looked similar :D

cntrydncr1 said:

Its something I've always done since I started tournament fishing. It's an appreciation thing... :wink: PLUS my fishing idol Bill Dance always does it :wink: ;D

Re: Virginia Button(Wartime Mfd.), Jews Harp & A ROMAN Coin found in VA??!? VIDEOS

that a odd find indeed --a roman in va.

{Sentinel} said:
VOL1266-X said:

LOL...Thanks Quin.... :wink: Our research has been paying off. Alot of time and effort.......Maybe I can find me one of those UCV/GAR medals like the one on your avatar :wink: :wink:
Josh, actually it's a Tennessee State Veterans pin. I found an "Indiana" state pin about two years before I found the Tennessee pin and had researched state veteran's pins. Eleven of the Union states had a pin that many thought were tied to re-enlistment. Jim Stanley wrote an article for N S Trader's CW Magazine on the state pins. After a year of service in the U.S. Army during the CW, a soldier could purchase a state pin from a sutler's store, wear it on his jacket, kepi, or hat and take it home after the war. Indiana is one of the most common pins to dig and sells for $500. I did not realize when I found the TENN PIN that only 20 of the Tennessee pins had ever been found and it was one of the rarest to recover. I did not even know that Tennessee had a pin as I had not ever seen one in my relic books. My pin will be pictured in a new CW Reference book scheduled to be out this fall. It was one of thirteen Best Finds of 2008 in W & E Treasures. W & E Treasures published my article on finding it in the May 2009 issue and you can read more about it in the "Best of Treasurenet" forum about the middle of the page down. I had some of the luck then that you and Jeff are having lately. I wish you both more great hunting. Your friend, Quindy.

Re: Virginia Button(Wartime Mfd.), Jews Harp & A ROMAN Coin found in VA??!? VIDEOS

That is a lot of digging....You found some great relics and coins :icon_thumleft:

WOW you guys are doing great. Do you think you could leave a little something for the rest of us to dig? :'(

Here is a good site for Roman coins (including pictures).

http://wildwinds.com/coins/ric/i.html

There are several Constantine entries, many of the coins resemble yours but I haven't found the exact match.

I wonder how that coin ended up in the U.S. You would think it would be in Europe or the Middle East.

nice relics and LCs :icon_thumleft: MR TUFF

VOL1266-X said:
{Sentinel} said:
VOL1266-X said:

Josh, actually it's a Tennessee State Veterans pin. I found an "Indiana" state pin about two years before I found the Tennessee pin and had researched state veteran's pins. Eleven of the Union states had a pin that many thought were tied to re-enlistment. Jim Stanley wrote an article for N S Trader's CW Magazine on the state pins. After a year of service in the U.S. Army during the CW, a soldier could purchase a state pin from a sutler's store, wear it on his jacket, kepi, or hat and take it home after the war. Indiana is one of the most common pins to dig and sells for $500. I did not realize when I found the TENN PIN that only 20 of the Tennessee pins had ever been found and it was one of the rarest to recover. I did not even know that Tennessee had a pin as I had not ever seen one in my relic books. My pin will be pictured in a new CW Reference book scheduled to be out this fall. It was one of thirteen Best Finds of 2008 in W & E Treasures. W & E Treasures published my article on finding it in the May 2009 issue and you can read more about it in the "Best of Treasurenet" forum about the middle of the page down. I had some of the luck then that you and Jeff are having lately. I wish you both more great hunting. Your friend, Quindy.

Yep, I remember when you dug it you were on cloud nine....I couldn't remember if it was a post war Veterans pin or a Civil War one.....Here in Virginia....I've found ALOT of United Confederate Veterans pins, buckles, badges, Southern Cross of Honor, etc........Indeed, I remember it in the magazine...

As for our "streak"....you should know that its like a Bell Curve: UP AND DOWN.....Over the past 15 years, I've had HOT HOT streaks and than some not so Hot ones...and than some down right Cold ones (though I try to make these as short as possible ;D) There's many variables that go into metal detecting that I couldn't even list them. Alot has to do with experience, alot with luck, quite abit goes to research, and than when you find a good spot...there's always that chance that it has been hammered already....though, in my experience, those words mean VERY LITTLE to me.....Take for instance, all those buttons that we found this past weekend....they all came from a single solitary yard that the neighbor had told Jeff and I "HAD BEEN HIT HARD" by two other fellas.....Whether its true or not......we CLEANED house on a supposed "Hammered" site :laughing7: :laughing7: ;D That's why those words mean very little to me

Cool finds, congrats! :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright: <2 thumbs up!>

Nice goin fellas.....Big finds, but small bass.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back