Virginia Button(Wartime Mfd.), Jews Harp & A ROMAN Coin found in VA??!? VIDEOS

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Virginia Button(Wartime Mfd.), Jews Harp & A ROMAN Coin found in VA??!? VIDEOS

Hey T-Net. :wink: Jeff(UmrGolf2000) and myself got out again yesterday to one of our fields that has just recently been
plowed, taking a break from the city lot where we dug the Eagle "A"s. We wanted a change of pace, and the owner of the field called us yesterday to let us know that he'd just got done discing the field. Well, we knew that this would pretty much make it a new spot again. We ended up having a good day digging a Southern Wartime MFD. Virginia Button and many other goodies! So without further adieu, here's the pics and videos:

-Virginia Button-Wartime MFD "Virtus w/ Sword Raised" by Canfield Brothers/ Baltimore
-Constantine Roman Copper/Bronze coin
-1824 Large Cent
-1856 Large Cent
-1863 Fatty Indian
-1860s Fatty Indian
-Confederate Enfield Blown-through bullet
-Lead filled hat rosette
-War of 1812 Eagle w/shield cuff button
-War of 1812 "Artillery Corps" Eagle Button
-Artillery Fuse
-1600s Ring (Broken)
-Jews Harp
-Reins guide-broken
-Broken Spur
-Broken shoe buckles, flat buttons, etc.

Here's the Virginia button fresh from the Ground:
VA Button April 14, 2010.jpg

Va Button April 14, 2010(3).jpg

IMG_0135.JPG

1821 Large Cent, 1856 Large Cent, 1867 or 68 Indian Head "Fatty"
IMG_0164.JPG

Virginia Button after cleaning:

Front: Note, this is a silver gilted button.
IMG_0145.JPG

IMG_0158.JPG

Back: Canfield and Brothers / Baltimore. This makes the button worth more as it is a Southern-made, Wartime, button

IMG_0157.JPG

War of 1812 "Artillery Corps" Eagle button with Cannon and cannonballs
IMG_0160.JPG

Constantine Roman Copper/Bronze Coin?? (The dug coin on the left is next to one that I received from a charity after donating money for a cure to breast cancer...they sent it to me as a "thank you" token. Its probably only worth $20 but is a really cool coin) Notice the ribbon in the hair of both coins. It looks VERY similar)

IMG_0167.JPG

IMG_0168.JPG

Part of a Plate or pin with Eagle's Head and a star.....It is folded over on itself....It almost looks like a number "1"....
Eagle Head Pin.jpg

Group Shot
IMG_0171.JPG

VIDEOS

CONTINUED BELOW

Upvote 0
Re: Virginia Button(Wartime Mfd.), Jews Harp & A ROMAN Coin found in VA??!? VIDEOS

Great finds. The Roman coin makes you wonder how it got there. That's something to think about. Congrats on the Virginia button.
Dman

Re: Virginia Button(Wartime Mfd.), Jews Harp & A ROMAN Coin found in VA??!? VIDEOS

Great finds a lot of history there :icon_thumleft: ,sure is odd about that Roman but i found a Greek bronze coin 212 BC in my neighbors front yard 8 inches deep go figure :icon_scratch: i had a Jews Harp just like that in Vietnam a good ole boy from Rome Georgia gave it to me home made i love that thing i played at night in the middle of the jungle :laughing7: Good Hunt :thumbsup: Dd60

Great Digs!!! That is the same backmark as the very first Virginia Button I ever found !! A great button!!

MB

Awsome stuff. The one that amazes me is also the Roman coin. I have a couple that are very similar with the 2 soldiers on the reverse. Paid around 5 bucks each on Ebay. The big question is why there was one buried in the ground in the US. How far are you from the coast ?

Thanks for the help Crusader :thumbsup: For those of you who are just as baffled as me about the Roman coin.. It was dug in the same field where I dug the two lined "I" buttons and boot pistol a few weeks ago. Yes it is right on the coast and the finds from the field have dated from the mid 1700's to around the early 1870's.. Thanks for all the kind replies and I've been looking but haven't found an exact match for the coin. HH Jeff

A roman coin :o and Virginia CSA , in the same field ,what is that all about :icon_scratch: I would be kissin' an ol dead catfish ,if I dug just one of those ! Congrats all all the other finds as well , keep on rollin' :headbang: dawg

CMDiamonddawg said:
A roman coin :o and Virginia CSA , in the same field ,what is that all about :icon_scratch: I would be kissin' an ol dead catfish ,if I dug just one of those ! Congrats all all the other finds as well , keep on rollin' :headbang: dawg

:laughing7: kiss an ol dead catfish ??? ??? ::) I wonder if it was the fishing pictures that made you think of that.. :laughing9: :laughing9: thanks for always bein a j-team groupie :headbang: :headbang: get a partner so you can post twice as many KG's and capped bust coins :thumbsup:

umrgolf2000 said:
CMDiamonddawg said:

:laughing7: kiss an ol dead catfish ??? ??? ::) I wonder if it was the fishing pictures that made you think of that.. :laughing9: :laughing9: thanks for always bein a j-team groupie :headbang: :headbang: get a partner so you can post twice as many KG's and capped bust coins :thumbsup:
;D Whats wrong with catfish , large mouth bass are hard to catch up here . I have a real good feeling that there are no Virginia buttons and Roman coins lost around SJ . As far as the groupie , ::) I thought I was more like , the opening act !! :laughing7:

CMDiamonddawg said:
umrgolf2000 said:
CMDiamonddawg said:

;D Whats wrong with catfish , large mouth bass are hard to catch up here . I have a real good feeling that there are no Virginia buttons and Roman coins lost around SJ . As far as the groupie , ::) I thought I was more like , the opening act !! :laughing7:

Nothing wrong with Cats ;D :wink: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:. :icon_thumleft: I love catfishing......any fishing really.....including OF COURSE, Dirt Fishing :wink:
I don't know....I wouldn't put anything past the mysteries of the dirt :wink: Never know what might come out of the ground..... and don't get Jeff or I wrong, we didn't mean "groupie" in a bad way.....indeed, "more like the opening act" suits just fine :wink: :icon_thumleft:

{Sentinel} said:
CMDiamonddawg said:
umrgolf2000 said:
CMDiamonddawg said:

Nothing wrong with Cats ;D :wink: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:. :icon_thumleft: I love catfishing......any fishing really.....including OF COURSE, Dirt Fishing :wink:
I don't know....I wouldn't put anything past the mysteries of the dirt :wink: Never know what might come out of the ground..... and don't get Jeff or I wrong, we didn't mean "groupie" in a bad way.....indeed, "more like the opening act" suits just fine :wink: :icon_thumleft:
I consider you both my friends ,and would never think anything meant in a bad way . I still would kiss a ol dead catfish to find some of the stufff that you guys are digging . ;D

CMDiamonddawg said:
{Sentinel} said:
CMDiamonddawg said:
umrgolf2000 said:
CMDiamonddawg said:

I consider you both my friends ,and would never think anything meant in a bad way . I still would kiss a ol dead catfish to find some of the stufff that you guys are digging . ;D

I suppose he'd kiss you too :laughing7: the feeling would be probably be mutual for you and the fish ::)

umrgolf2000 said:
CMDiamonddawg said:
{Sentinel} said:
CMDiamonddawg said:
umrgolf2000 said:
CMDiamonddawg said:

I suppose he'd kiss you too :laughing7: the feeling would be probably be mutual for you and the fish ::)
May the fragrant odor of sun ripened fish blow up your nostrils this weekend :laughing9: Time to git :occasion14: HH

MonkeyBoy said:
Great Digs!!! That is the same backmark as the very first Virginia Button I ever found !! A great button!!

MB

Kind of odd that you said that monkeyboy, Jeff's first VA coat button last year was also a Canfield Bro's backmark :wink: :wink: :D

Re: Virginia Button(Wartime Mfd.), Jews Harp & A ROMAN Coin found in VA??!? VID

Guess ill just have to keep poppin this up.. Nice button josh

Its something I've always done since I started tournament fishing. It's an appreciation thing... :wink:

LOL that's funny Sentinel! Finally found someone who knows what they are doing. Here in Ontario it is customary to ALWAYS kiss the first Bass of the season. It is an appreciation thing. And brings luck. Proven fact. :icon_thumright:

Good digs too.

CanadianTrout said:
Its something I've always done since I started tournament fishing. It's an appreciation thing... :wink:

LOL that's funny Sentinel! Finally found someone who knows what they are doing. Here in Ontario it is customary to ALWAYS kiss the first Bass of the season. It is an appreciation thing. And brings luck. Proven fact. :icon_thumright:

Good digs too.

See you know the deal :icon_thumleft: Nice to see another who's ON THE LEVEL :wink:

Josh bud, you and Jeff are tearing it up like true pros! You guys make a great team! It is cool to see you fellas enjoying other pastimes other than detecting. I bet the conversations on that boat were all about finding Virginia loot in the sloppy fields of today! :notworthy: :headbang: :notworthy:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back