THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

Good morning Pirates of the world 😆 xx and so monday is upon us once more 😬 xx hope u all have a good one xx 🤗

IMG_0967.jpeg

Good morning everyone, hit the ground running! :coffee2: 🐎
If you hit the ground running here, you'll just hit the ground. I woke up to a glaze of ice over everything. Hard to walk, much less run, much less drive. Fortunately, I don't have to go anywhere. And it's supposed to warm up the rest of the week.

Oh, and good morning!

Last edited:
IMG_20240122_002439.jpg

So many times during a fishing trip people take pictures that you never get. This one is of a small blue marlin that I caught !! I had lost a winning tournament fish the day before, and had already sized my fighting belt to hook into a bent butt rod. Of coarse he bit on the big bent butt. I was feeling bad about losing a fish, and took this rod, and absolutely destroyed this marlin.....in 2 hours we went from 7th -3rd, and I was able to land this fish in under 10 minutes to make up for my mistake, and propel us to a third place finish !! Our guest is back to fish, and now I'm seeing alot of footage from last seasons marlin !!

View attachment 2127329
So many times during a fishing trip people take pictures that you never get. This one is of a small blue marlin that I caught !! I had lost a winning tournament fish the day before, and had already sized my fighting belt to hook into a bent butt rod. Of coarse he bit on the big bent butt. I was feeling bad about losing a fish, and took this rod, and absolutely destroyed this marlin.....in 2 hours we went from 7th -3rd, and I was able to land this fish in under 10 minutes to make up for my mistake, and propel us to a third place finish !! Our guest is back to fish, and now I'm seeing alot of footage from last seasons marlin !!
I see the gaff, I thought the Marlin tournaments were catch & release?

About 40 minutes pounding with about a 2 inch hammer swing.
Lowest piece is the center of a shear pin that did not want to budge after I felt it's location inside the shaft that the shaft it was in fits through .
(Intact shear pin shows grooves as weak points to break under enough stress. it also shows the pin that sheared didn't shear where it was supposed to near the threaded end. Instead it broke at the threads.)
There's the cap head end to the same broken pin showing where it broke on that end..The other end went bye bye somewhere when it sheared. Good metal detector practice for someone maybe. Or maybe an explanation why one similar was found somewhere.

Not the augers but the paddle they feed is where this pin sheared when I collected a chunk of red oak branch about broomstick diameter.
Just no room to swing to pound it. And for a bonus this broken pin had a bit of a burr on its edge.
The two threaded bolts with beat up ends are substitutes for my center punch that won't fit in the tight area .
Had to go to a pair of channel lock pliers to hold the bolt being used for a punch as my alternated hands holding the being hammered on bolt in a winter glove even were getting tired of being hit with the hammer being used on it's side.

Yes. I parked the danged tractor and blower after I fixed it.
That's my last replacement shear pin left that is showing.
I need a sponsor!
Maybe a crew to make repairs too.
Hey Bart : You work cheap don't cha?

20240122_090501.jpg

Last edited:
@newnan man They are...we release almost all of them....in fact I haven't landed one in many years.....all catch and release. The gaff is actually a 12 foot long gaff, for wahoo, and dolphin. It's so long that it sticks up into the captains view !! It is actually just stored in a rod holder, and is about 30-40 feet from the fish. Its probably about 4 feet from the captain on the fly bridge.

@newnan man They are...we release almost all of them....in fact I haven't landed one in many years.....all catch and release. The gaff is actually a 12 foot long gaff, for wahoo, and dolphin. It's so long that it sticks up into the captains view !! It is actually just stored in a rod holder, and is about 30-40 feet from the fish. Its probably about 4 feet from the captain on the fly bridge.
Wahoo & Dolphin on the grill, Zucchini soaked in soy sauce grilled with them. Yum!!

A few inch piece of the right diameter hose can defend that gaff. Clear tubing seems half durable but I don't know it's U.V. tolerance.
One more thing to do before using it.(Pulling it's guard) And a tether might keep it from getting lost or tossed.
Might be part of why it doesn't have one...

What did I do...
Big staple out of a crane cable spool.
Cut one side down for my hook.
Welded it to a wood screw on the other.
If recalled right , a piece of black tubing defends it in an ice fishing box around here somewhere.
Sized about big enough for some of what you use for bait maybe. L.o.l..
But seriously , should be big enough for anything I'd be landing through the ice to keep here.
Don't recall using it though. A good thing I guess as far as hook locations.
But then I haven't had any fish stuck in an ice hole when I was chasing pike..
10 inch auger might be why. Or the size of the fish was. Har har har.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back