THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

Good morning me hearties! Been in the galley listening to OV’s tunes and making breakfast for the crew.

1705067198331.png

That's a partially uncovered shipwreck in the sands of the bahamas 🇧🇸 it lies 220 feet offshore of a late 1700s loyalist plantation. You can see the starboard bulwark protruding from the sand, and it appears to be a double master vessel with 2 mast stumps showing. I've learned to recognize this type of outline by exploring the Baltic wreck in eluthera....its outline in the sand is nearly identical !! I have no idea the name of this vessel. I will be able to track down the names of the plantation owners, and this will give me an avenue of research to follow. I'll get a sat shot of the plantation manor home who's ruins are still standing !!

Screenshot_20240112_090053_Google Earth.jpg

Screenshot_20240112_090109_Google Earth.jpg

Another incredible site to explore....this home was large and grand. Many rooms, and attached servants quarters. Also slave quarters on the walled grounds. Add a possible associated shipwreck, and what an adventure you have !!

Did you detect that before?
Not yet, but have been thinking of just going over alone and doing it....I never follow through on these threats to just go !! One of these days I will. I want to go investigate these spots in may - June this year when im there marlin fishing !!

I would really like to go with coyote and make a whole series of videos exploring these plantations.....there are many frozen in time ready for exploring....all are 1780s-1830s !! I have an old mentor who was able to go to these spots in the early 80s.....he sailed to one spot and saw a stone chimney a mile back in the bush sticking up above the trees. He hiked back with an old whites detector.....they found many gin bottles and lots of English coppers and spanish silvers ..... they only spent a couple days there, and that story confirms everything I've ever dreamed about these sites !! One site is an abandoned bahamian town of over 4000 people.....I counted 52 homes and many plantations. It was abandoned in the 1830s when slavery ended !!

Good morning all xx yay we made it to friday 😆 xx 🤗

new part has been fitted to my stick so normal detecting can resume in earnest tomoz… freezing but sunny conditions forecast … living the dream here in good ole England 😆 xx
Yeah nice and sunny, a tropical 5⁰c rn

Glad you can get back to detecting tho can't wait to see your finds

The way I hunt is simple

#1 My job is deep sea fising guide. This job takes me to remote and forgotten parts of the bahamas, and carribean. I never know where i might go, but as the guide and fishing expert, my suggestions are taken very seriously by my bosses. This lets me suggest spots that i know also have opportunity for treasure, and other adventures.

#2 I always pack dive gear, and detectors as part of any adventures we go on....all the boats I work on will have a detector package onboard if I have any control of equipment. Often times weather is bad for fishing, and it's these other exploring and treasurehunting adventures that make those off days interesting for the guests.

#3 research, and this satellite 🛰 exploring let me find points of interest for upcoming trips, and allow me to provision and prepare best. Obviously finding a shipwreck just before I go is exciting, but preparing to explore it provides challenges. It's far from my port, and I need transportation? That's why I got an electric scooter to pack on the boat so if I get the chance I can act on it with success......scooter down with snorkel gear, and check the wreck !! A back pack with snorkel gear, and metal detector and im off at 20+ mph to the spot !!

#4 established network of friends throughout the island is essential....the private property permission and land access is incredible if you have friends, and most of these remote spots are so far out that the people who own them have only seen some of the ruins a few times in there life...they almost always say go and check it out !! A simple car ride from a friend can make or break the hunt ..... gotta have friends !!

That's a partially uncovered shipwreck in the sands of the bahamas 🇧🇸 it lies 220 feet offshore of a late 1700s loyalist plantation. You can see the starboard bulwark protruding from the sand, and it appears to be a double master vessel with 2 mast stumps showing. I've learned to recognize this type of outline by exploring the Baltic wreck in eluthera....its outline in the sand is nearly identical !! I have no idea the name of this vessel. I will be able to track down the names of the plantation owners, and this will give me an avenue of research to follow. I'll get a sat shot of the plantation manor home who's ruins are still standing !!
So, you can dive 220 feet? Wow, that's deep!

I started on a trail 90 then went to an XL500. Next, CB 350-4, CB 450 then GS750 my first 4 cylinder. GPZ 550 (2 of them) GPZ 750, GPZ 1100 then the 140 mph ticket getter....drunk across the Chetco bridge at 2 in the morning... souped up 900 Ninja!! Smooth-bore mikunis, Kerker 4 in to 1. V65 Magna, 0-60 in under 3 seconds. Multiple careless driving tickets (riding wheelies) excessive tire noise (major burnouts) speeding tickets galore! Lucky to be alive really. Reckless and wild! It's OK to be....older and slower.
Borrowed a 900 Ninja once.
It could scoot!
I'd seen it around leading a pack though so no surprise. Except for stalling it out once on launch.

70's saw some neat bikes. Into the 80's too.
Maybe it never ends.
Sure liked the colors and designs back when though.
Bikes for several hundred I couldn't afford. L.o.l..

Rode that 350 in the snow to work a couple times. Not by choice...
Then you'd want to get the salt off.

Always figured that with winter a brand new bike to start with would last quite a while.
All winter to work on it.

The way I hunt is simple

#1 My job is deep sea fising guide. This job takes me to remote and forgotten parts of the bahamas, and carribean. I never know where i might go, but as the guide and fishing expert, my suggestions are taken very seriously by my bosses. This lets me suggest spots that i know also have opportunity for treasure, and other adventures.

#2 I always pack dive gear, and detectors as part of any adventures we go on....all the boats I work on will have a detector package onboard if I have any control of equipment. Often times weather is bad for fishing, and it's these other exploring and treasurehunting adventures that make those off days interesting for the guests.

#3 research, and this satellite 🛰 exploring let me find points of interest for upcoming trips, and allow me to provision and prepare best. Obviously finding a shipwreck just before I go is exciting, but preparing to explore it provides challenges. It's far from my port, and I need transportation? That's why I got an electric scooter to pack on the boat so if I get the chance I can act on it with success......scooter down with snorkel gear, and check the wreck !! A back pack with snorkel gear, and metal detector and im off at 20+ mph to the spot !!

#4 established network of friends throughout the island is essential....the private property permission and land access is incredible if you have friends, and most of these remote spots are so far out that the people who own them have only seen some of the ruins a few times in there life...they almost always say go and check it out !! A simple car ride from a friend can make or break the hunt ..... gotta have friends !!
Dang Bart!
You got it goin on , as usual.

I wouldn't trust a battery charging to not catch fire on a boat. Just because. On principle..

Detecting gear on a craft in remote areas? Man. Drop the wrong critical part during a repair and better hope to have it!
But a boat owner hiring you should accept it's part of you anyways . And how would an owner know?( Right.)

Mornin all.
Nerves firing all night.
Got a fitful nap in before the rising wind ordered me up.
Tall oaks laden with snow rocking. Rocking. Flexing quite a ways some of them.
Given some of thier diameters , a ships mast would need to be a big one to hold sail weight and filled sails. Plus wind from storms like the one approaching!

Sometimes...A dozen or more big oaks should be taken out and not be able to reach the house any more.
But removing trees from dense former second growth areas weakens the edge and supporting each other in high winds too.
We'll see what happens out back where they had it selectively logged. I call it selectively but that means they cut the "cream" / better timber out of it.
That's where the wind effect started this morning and the long swaying/rocking.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back