THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

You probably should look into buying a good coin reference book on English coins hammered/milled.
Lots a used ones out there in the market place.
Yeah it's on my lift for this year.

I'm planning to save up and buy some good references books on buttons and coins to help me out in the future and also some upgrades to my detecting kit.

I only had like a month and a half of my permissions before they got planted so I couldn't go detecting to find enough things xD to warrant books yet.

Like I only have 4 hammered coins so far and the rest I managed to identify more or less except for a worn down 1669 milled one.

Went to a party last night....good friends for years....open the cooler, and no alcohol. Looked around and realized no one else drinks alcohol anymore. So my wife snuck home and made drinks for us.....as we sipped our drinks I watched the political bickering start....there were some ugly back and forths....in the old days when this group all drank we never had this bickering. So in the middle of this crap, I winked at my frie d across the party, and bang !! We stepped out to do what everyone does in this situation.....we went for a walk and burned a Christmas joint !! By the time we got back all was right in the world again !!
I'm sure when you finished it, life was good once again.
(I'm starting to think you've got a tad bit of party animal in you Bart) Nothing wrong with that. :headbang:

Screen Shot 2023-12-31 at 8.38.36 AM.png

Yeah it's on my lift for this year.

I'm planning to save up and buy some good references books on buttons and coins to help me out in the future and also some upgrades to my detecting kit.

I only had like a month and a half of my permissions before they got planted so I couldn't go detecting to find enough things xD to warrant books yet.

Like I only have 4 hammered coins so far and the rest I managed to identify more or less except for a worn down 1669 milled one.
One doesn't need a fist full of finds to warrant a reference book.
I have couple for grading Canadian/USA coinage
The Red Book on Canadian coinage values
World coinage 2 volumes
Probably all 15 yrs old now or more.
The only thing changes the values-not the reference.
Sure new variants are discovered, but it's a great baseline to knowing a bit about the subject.

Waiting till you have everything in order-then buy the reference will even be a tad more frustrating as you'll have less time in the future to figure it all out.

Not sure on your age-but time gets shorter as we get longer in the tooth it seems.

Good morning and happy new year everyone.

Just a quick question, how can I identify some hammered coins? I have think 3 that I need to identify but I can't find anything matching.

The finds in the area are mostly 1500s at oldest by what I've identified so far.

Jetons, lead clothseals and clay smoking pipes litter the area there where I found most of my hammered coins

For example this one, I can't find a matching Elizabeth the 1st crown/portrait and can't see a Tudor rose either.
Poor quality pictures so it would be better to take a few more clear photos of the silver.
Size would be great also.
If you post it up on another forum as "What is it"
You'll receive the blunt of the "Photo quality" comments.

One doesn't need a fist full of finds to warrant a reference book.
I have couple for grading Canadian/USA coinage
The Red Book on Canadian coinage values
World coinage 2 volumes
Probably all 15 yrs old now or more.
The only thing changes the values-not the reference.
Sure new variants are discovered, but it's a great baseline to knowing a bit about the subject.

Waiting till you have everything in order-then buy the reference will even be a tad more frustrating as you'll have less time in the future to figure it all out.

Not sure on your age-but time gets shorter as we get longer in the tooth it seems.
Trust me I know, it was like yesterday I finished school and now my classmates are mostly married and some have 2 kids already, some heading to preschool so yeah.. time flies

I'm only 25 tho so I hope I'll be ok for a few more month

Poor quality pictures so it would be better to take a few more clear photos of the silver.
Size would be great also.
If you post it up on another forum as "What is it"
You'll receive the blunt of the "Photo quality" comments.
Oh don't worry I posted actual pics on there not one of my microscope screen :P

Unfortunately I don't have a macro lens so I have to make do with my crappy phone

I have bedding to wash and beds to make. Swab the decks, 4-1/2 baths to clean, bbq wings, veggie tray, cheese tray, western beans, walleye and perch to get ready for frying. Oh lawdy I have to get a shower and curl my hair, pick out an outfit, all while icing my neck, back and left foot periodically be cause I need to keep moving. Oh and the neighbors have to come get showers because they are roughing it. Nothing going on here. 🙃🤪

View attachment 2123245
Oh WD, you do have your plate full today
Best of luck, on getting it all done in time & still retaining the happy.

For me it's the stress of the what to wear to the living room this evening is a real thing.

View attachment 2122829
View attachment 2122830
View attachment 2122831
Baltimore loop enclosure in blob top !! And sunburnt amethyst color. Not a bunch of these tops around....I think they only made this type for a year or 2.....its the immediate precursor to the crown top !! I've got a jungle bottle dump that gives me all these beers.....they all date to late 1800s to early 1900s, and there must be 4-6 different types of hand applied tops and stoppers from this time period.....almost all the bottles I find here are beer....and some mineral waters.....there are many bottles here, and I only go alone....I've never ever shared this spot with anyone !! Earliest beers are 1860s, and by 1900-1915 this site was abandoned. I have at least 2 people who want into this site badly....its mine and I keep the pit hidden. It's a natural sink hole filled with beer bottles !!

View attachment 2122834
thanks for that history on these bottle tops BB. Did not know.. I'll be on the lookout now for sure. Would be cool to find a topper

I have bedding to wash and beds to make. Swab the decks, 4-1/2 baths to clean, bbq wings, veggie tray, cheese tray, western beans, walleye and perch to get ready for frying. Oh lawdy I have to get a shower and curl my hair, pick out an outfit, all while icing my neck, back and left foot periodically be cause I need to keep moving. Oh and the neighbors have to come get showers because they are roughing it. Nothing going on here. 🙃🤪

View attachment 2123245
Good Gosh WD... :blob10: What time should we all show up?:lurk:

:coffee2: Morning T-Net Crew :wave:

If I don't see Ya'll tomorrow Morning ... :occasion16: HAPPY NEW YEAR :occasion18:

I think It'll do me good to go out, disappear from society and get some long needed swinging in :metaldetector: .... Should be a good way to start the new year and get me out of the "winter blues funk" (should be a song title):laughing7:
We are the only ones stopping us from doing the things we want. "There's some things in Life you can't control." So I say, if they're an adult, "let others manage their own problems that aren't yours."
" May your treasures be great and your worries sail away with the wind..." 🏴‍☠️ SURF_PIRATE 🏴‍☠️

View attachment 2123245

Oh heck no!
I ain't gonna clean it up so it can get trashed!
And the towels are for paying guests!
Cash ; or get busy doing laundry , dishes , cleaning or yardwork!

(Guess it'll just be the dogs here tonight then? l.o.l..)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back