THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

Waiting for JVA to show us some more gold !! That school has me thinking.....wonder how much gold is in my swim holes !!
It has me thinking I’m not trying hard enough. He’s working for that gold! I’ve hunted a couple of schools and haven’t found any gold at all.

It has me thinking I’m not trying hard enough. He’s working for that gold! I’ve hunted a couple of schools and haven’t found any gold at all.
I was also thinking that I've only hunted twice at a school, and I did get a small gold earring under the bleachers. Maybe I should try that school again. There is one school I go to regularly to hunt.....it was built over an Indian village, and 1733 treasure salvage camp. They had an encampment with 8 cannons where the base ball field is now !!

It's been really frustrating with the bad weather....im loosing my mind not getting out to hunt !! Just woodworking. When I have fished it's sucked and we've caught very little.....I've been reduced to eating mackerel......instead of snapper !! The only comfort I have is cleaning gold and diamonds so I can remember all the thrills !!
20231229_105850.jpg

Actually might have a couple calm days....but no hunting.....everybody wants to fish, so I've fueled the boat. Still looks very overcast outside though.

The one bright spot I have is driving over the bridges, looking out towards the sand bar and seeing lots of boats out there every winter weekend.....the tourists are still getting in the water in huge numbers....I haven't been in in months....for a number of reasons....one being because it's cold, and it's been rough seas, strong winds, and murky water. I'll have to put on the wet suit and do a winter clean up soon.....they are usally good because I know my competitors all hate the cold water and don't hunt till spring. Last year was mild and I got in alot more than this winter. I'm bottle hunting this winter.

My dreams are pinned on this little spit of an island. Come February we will see if Mr jasper knabb was a real pirate, or just the bullsh*t con artist he was jailed for.

Some of the big dogs brushed me off pretty hard, including Mr. Dan porter, and the sea reaper.....I think his exact words were ..... that map has been explored and nothing panned out. Well .... I know that not to be the case, and I plan to do my own on the ground exploring......the map I have I don't believe could be imagined in a George Lucas blockbuster. You can't make this up, and for what purpose would you ? He wasn't trying to swindle investors he was rich and financed his own hunts....this is his working treasure map....only its not ancient.....it was made in the 2000s !!
Screenshot_20231230_080123_Maps.jpg

The one bright spot I have is driving over the bridges, looking out towards the sand bar and seeing lots of boats out there every winter weekend.....the tourists are still getting in the water in huge numbers....I haven't been in in months....for a number of reasons....one being because it's cold, and it's been rough seas, strong winds, and murky water. I'll have to put on the wet suit and do a winter clean up soon.....they are usally good because I know my competitors all hate the cold water and don't hunt till spring. Last year was mild and I got in alot more than this winter. I'm bottle hunting this winter.
I look out the window and see a tiny dusting of snow-but at least it's not raining today.
Might get some chores done and sneak off to go to a cellar hole. The weather is calling for a sunny day of highs of 30-32F.
There's no frost in the ground so digging will be ok as we've had an inch of drizzle over the past 5 days.

I can just imagine you shivering at the keyboard thinking of detecting in 30F weather. Crazy Canucks!

Screen Shot 2023-12-30 at 8.09.31 AM.png

Steve you havnt missed anything down here....weather has been crappie for months !! Im praying for spring to come early !!
I hear ya, but I’ve been seeing where they’ve made some pretty good finds up on the treasure coast.

I hear ya, but I’ve been seeing where they’ve made some pretty good finds up on the treasure coast.
Yes...another low spot for me....not being able to break away to get in the mix. Man I've missed out !! I hate from Oct.-Dec. Almost through it, ..... I might invite coyote Peterson to hunt vero, and both of us make a trip this month.....no Hollywood stuff.....just go hunt for a week....I know he wants to break from his crazy schedule also !!

@blossom I hope you're having a wonderful day.

I'm trying to build my collection information and use Trello to host it but while going through it I've realised my. Missfortune of getting so many interesting buttons that I don't even know where to start.

I know you're the Goddess of buttons, oracle of knowledge. So may I please have some advice on where to look for information on them?

I have military, patterned probably 17/1800s, an odd lead thing I believe to be a button and some other odoties like a button with a greenish-black/brown patina featuring a full body Deer,lots of 2 piece and even what looks to be 2 piece lead with loop inserts..

And don't get me started on the flat, flat edged, flat domed flat... Buttons

Here's what I mean, could you or anyone else please point me in a direction?

Attachments

• IMG_20231230_141047.jpg
    IMG_20231230_141047.jpg
    848.1 KB · Views: 14
My dreams are pinned on this little spit of an island. Come February we will see if Mr jasper knabb was a real pirate, or just the bullsh*t con artist he was jailed for.

Some of the big dogs brushed me off pretty hard, including Mr. Dan porter, and the sea reaper.....I think his exact words were ..... that map has been explored and nothing panned out. Well .... I know that not to be the case, and I plan to do my own on the ground exploring......the map I have I don't believe could be imagined in a George Lucas blockbuster. You can't make this up, and for what purpose would you ? He wasn't trying to swindle investors he was rich and financed his own hunts....this is his working treasure map....only its not ancient.....it was made in the 2000s !!View attachment 2123012
Is Google maps suggesting you rob
something?

@blossom I hope you're having a wonderful day.

I'm trying to build my collection information and use Trello to host it but while going through it I've realised my. Missfortune of getting so many interesting buttons that I don't even know where to start.

I know you're the Goddess of buttons, oracle of knowledge. So may I please have some advice on where to look for information on them?

I have military, patterned probably 17/1800s, an odd lead thing I believe to be a button and some other odoties like a button with a greenish-black/brown patina featuring a full body Deer,lots of 2 piece and even what looks to be 2 piece lead with loop inserts..

And don't get me started on the flat, flat edged, flat domed flat... Buttons

Here's what I mean, could you or anyone else please point me in a direction?
You have part of a crotal bell in the photo, the one that is shaped like a D with lines below the rusty red military.
You have a nice nipple button in the right corner.
Cannon button lower part of the military pile.

Screen Shot 2023-12-30 at 9.37.53 AM.png

I probably would separate the 4 hole into plain/maker's names
Military into another grouping
Larger design buttons in a separate display
Any plain flat that has a broken shank into a sealer (cool way of displaying)

The different ways is a personal thing, no right/wrong answer.

Buttons oh ya- Britain has an unlimited supply
Here is the total from one season the the Colchester Club dug for one season competition.

Screen Shot 2023-12-30 at 9.34.07 AM.png

You have part of a crotal bell in the photo, the one that is shaped like a D with lines below the rusty red military.
You have a nice nipple button in the right corner.
Cannon button lower part of the military pile.
I probably would separate the 4 hole into plain/maker's names
Military into another grouping
Larger design buttons in a separate display
Any plain flat that has a broken shank into a sealer (cool way of displaying)

The different ways is a personal thing, no right/wrong answer.

Buttons oh ya- Britain has an unlimited supply
Here is the total from one season the the Colchester Club dug for one season competition.

View attachment 2123016
Holy heck that's a lot, and I'm in Colchester so explains a lot. Most of mine are from one field like all but 10 or so probably less even are from other places.

By crotal bell part, do you mean the one that looks like a broken union jack?

Also yes I usually have them in separate boxes.

I'm trying to get them sort of cleaned up and take pics (toothpick and soft toothbrush)

Holy heck that's a lot, and I'm in Colchester so explains a lot. Most of mine are from one field like all but 10 or so probably less even are from other places.

I'm trying to get them sort of cleaned up and take pics (toothpick and soft toothbrush)
This is a good link to ID the military buttons

This what I believe was part of a bell?

Screen Shot 2023-12-30 at 9.42.14 AM.png

This what I believe was part of a bell?

View attachment 2123019
Yeh, I thought it was some sort of large union jack button/badge.

It was found near a WW2 airfield

also thank you for the website, found one button very similar to one of my Unknowns and also one for Herts bishops Stortford with a stag that's given me a point to search around for my variant

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-12-30-14-44-51-445_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-12-30-14-44-51-445_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 7

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back