Tall Grass Prairie Flower Pics

#35. This is partridge pea, another member of the bean family. The greens are edible to deer and cattle and it has nutritious seeds that small birds like. This flower is often included in prairie seeds supplied by Pheasants Forever and other organizations dedicated to prairie restoration. Seeds are readily available for free from some of these places. I got my first batch of seeds from them.
7E50ECAA-B981-40F4-B4EB-2AFE1A4E7B4C.jpeg
EA1856E1-1D75-4118-A708-6C30F4883AAD.jpeg
0915941E-4929-41A7-95B9-D4D8CC7E9530.jpeg

#36. This is iron weed. I have planted hundreds of native iron weed seeds obtained only a mile from my house but so far only one plant came up. I’m hoping after burning next spring I’ll see more. Cattle and deer won’t touch this one and I’ve read it can become a nuisance in cow pastures. It is a member of the aster family.
EB816856-B7DA-4CC6-AB95-4E528DD6E814.jpeg
A761CF1A-8660-45D8-80A6-FDBAB63D0192.jpeg

#37. This is a Downy Sunflower. Also called Ashy Sunflower. A member of the aster family. This one is easy to grow. I threw seeds out in 3 different places and they all took. They formed small colonies and the areas with flowers are slowly getting larger but I’m not seeing it spread to random places like some species.
2C290B23-614F-442E-9881-349A343E94C4.jpeg
C74A149E-7859-4519-B630-F765D72101E8.jpeg

#38. This is Big Bluestem. It is one of the dominant prairie grasses. A member of the grass family. This is probably the one plant people think of when they hear tall grass prairie. The leaves turn coppery in the fall.
FB1F7E5B-B95F-48D7-9557-B0C7D5515CC1.jpeg
4E0A54A5-C597-49C1-8835-0C1E418C442A.jpeg

#31. This is smooth sumac. There is also a stag horn sumac that is similar. They are easy to confuse. This is a member of the cashew family. It will try and take over a prairie patch but is not resistant to fire. When a prairie is burned off it will retard the sumac considerably.View attachment 2094979View attachment 2094980
Be very careful when burning poisonous Sumac.
Friend's buddy messed up his lungs for life from the smoke.
There are many types, the flowering one makes a nice ice fruit drink.

Be very careful when burning poisonous Sumac.
Friend's buddy messed up his lungs for life from the smoke.
Same goes for poison ivy. I got a "systemic allergic reaction" from doing that once, nearly put me in the hospital.

#35. This is partridge pea, another member of the bean family. The greens are edible to deer and cattle and it has nutritious seeds that small birds like. This flower is often included in prairie seeds supplied by Pheasants Forever and other organizations dedicated to prairie restoration. Seeds are readily available for free from some of these places. I got my first batch of seeds from them.View attachment 2097168View attachment 2097169View attachment 2097170
Those little fronds resemble young locust plants.

#39. This is Prairie Dock. A member of the aster family. I don’t think there is a taller prairie plant than Dock. This one is close to 10’. As the summer progresses the grasses are getting tall. The dock manages to get its flowers above the tall grass so insects can find them. The huge leaves are the biggest of any prairie plant I know of. Dock has a very deep root system and can survive long after most prairie plants have died out from grazing or disturbance. It’s common in my area along roadsides and railroad right of ways.
3F7DDA12-7B60-4C9C-87FA-1B3AF4E8073C.jpeg
4F9A0257-3114-44F3-B254-F3DF33504D74.jpeg
ED412442-59D3-4838-8B53-2910D8F5B83E.jpeg

#40. This one is a Sawtooth Sunflower, a member of the aster family. They like to form colonies and I had one. I let volunteer cherry trees grow there and eventually the shade wiped them out. I planted some of the seeds in another spot and they are starting to come back.
CED31911-19AB-4890-878C-3EBA7259592C.jpeg
C601F0E5-D976-4847-99A0-227CCA66F06A.jpeg

This is one of the coolest post I have ever seen on this website Native prairies are very important plants in the ecosystem. And they are losing ground everywhere in the country .The value they provide to insects and other small animals is never ending . I t is obvious a labor of love for you And you have proven loved just how much you love it I was a Habitat Chairman for a local Pheasants Forever chapter for 25 years .We where involved helping landowners to plant their own prairies Not only are they beautiful to see but when you understand the value they add t o nature. Plus you are maintaining the habitat in a way that is preserving the future of the land . One thing I learned was that many people would at least do something to help but have no concept of how or where to start .A planting like you are doing is a n example of how wonderful native plants can look And also add in the wildlife benefits. Yes it is not easy and if you get into it like you have it ends up to be a fair amount of expense also . Ground nesting song birds are some of the most rapidly disappearing spies in the North American continent .Have you ever had a count conducted on your 2.5 acres of prairie and list he different species that are living on your land? Agnin I COMMEND YOU FOR YOUR TIME AND EFFOIRT There are plenty of people that say someone should do something ar fewer will take matters into their hands and see their idea through to completion . I m thankful I sawthis post today It is to the benefit of many that see it and learn and prehaps join in on he value of most consider weeds wHEN THEY REALLY ARE A CRITICAL PART OF WILDLIFE Areally great post !!
of wildlife in the North American I started my tall grass prairie restoration project on 2 acres of pasture behind my house 25 yrs ago. I purchased a wildflower seed mix and also visited a relict prairie with a friend experienced in prairie restoration to obtain seeds. I also pick up seeds where I can find them. Along RR right of ways and along roadsides. It’s taken yrs for some of the seeds to germinate. I now have around 30 species. As the flowers start popping I will add them to this thread. You are welcome to add pics of wildflowers. Native species only!
This is purple milkweed.
View attachment 2088966View attachment 2088967

Last edited:
Thanks Glass! It is a labor of love. I’ve tied up 2.5 acres for over 25 yrs and haven’t made a nickel. I’m getting close to 50 plant species and wish I could get many more started. Around 250 were native to this area. I just keep plugging along.😎

#42. Tall Tickweed. This is another member of the expansive aster family. The name comes from the fact that the seeds will stick to clothes or animal hair. Seems to be a good method of propagation.
2E7FB640-571B-4CF2-B082-A2A2968EBE35.jpeg
96FA92A5-52F1-4E3D-9586-0CD423B0256E.jpeg

This is one of the coolest post I have ever seen on the Tnet website Tal grass prairies have been something I have spent a lot of time learning ad being a part of helping to plant hundreds of acres As a Habitat Chairman for a local Pheasants Forever chapter for 25 year we spent a lot of money and time trying to establish warm season grass habitat for ground nesting birdsYour projects is a labor of love The pictures show your effort and how much it mean to you.
Great job! We helped our county DNR folks gather prairie seed last fall. Various tall grasses and milkweed. The seed went to other counties and anyone helping could keep seed. We sowed quite a bit. Only the milkweed came up.
Many of your native plants take a few years to be recognized for what they are So just because you do not see then that first year does not mean they are not there .

I mow it early in the spring before the wildflowers start growing. Burning in early spring is way better than mowing but requires a lot of help. I haven’t burned for 5-6 yrs but I will definitely burn next spring. A fast burning hot fire with a breeze going will help to germinate seeds that would otherwise be dormant.
You are correct that burning is a good way to keep the area in its most productive state of value to the advantage of native plants The Native Americans living on the prairies during the 16000 to 1800 time frame used fire to help the growth of the plants here .It is too bad we need to keep relearning things over again

Great post. Thanks for the pictures. It's been more than 40 years since I lived on the prairie and it's the wildflowers I miss most.

Those little fronds resemble young locust plants.
Good catch! Locust trees and peas are both members of the legume family along with most bean producing plants. The flower form and leaf form are typical of the legume family.

#43. Indian Grass. A member of the grass family. I planted Indian grass in my first planting and it took off. This type must be perfectly suited for my soil. It is dominant in my prairie patch and is finally flowering. The yellow that you see are the stamens. You can smell the pollen when you walk out there.
38DF8A06-8FE4-46F4-AC7A-8457094DB8CD.jpeg
EB63B494-B5DC-4A59-B7EF-CEB683EB4220.jpeg
F6EF7DE3-20B7-434D-AB3A-5C86C9B91881.jpeg

You sure are an asset to America :) Like always GREAT PICTURES !!! Thanks for sharing with us !!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back