Tall Grass Prairie Flower Pics

I burned at first but I switched to mowing in early spring. It has not been burned for 6-7 yrs. I will definitely burn it next spring. Tons of ungerminated seeds will pop after burning. Burning gets rid of some invasives too. I keep the sweet clover pulled by hand. It will really make a prairie look trashy while it is blooming. I have a lot of blackberries that I’m hoping burning will kill or at least knock them back.

#9 This one has several names. Wild Bergamot, monarda, or what we call it aound here, bee balm. It is a member of the mint family.
AC3E93FD-63CA-4515-80A7-28EB52400219.jpeg
8F27F944-A625-4A8B-A5AB-F89CD6B29930.jpeg

Last edited:
#14. This is a View attachment 2090661lead plant. Named by early settlers that were both ignorant and superstitious. They thought lead could be found where this plant grew. This is a member of the bean family and very edible to grazing animals. The blooms might get better and I’ll update. Wanted a pic today in case it gets ate!
36350874-5CE6-4E47-9AC6-10DF948899DD.jpeg
B27342CF-EB0C-466C-833C-BE2B0A964D63.jpeg

Our cone flowers have the same shape and seed core, but are a pale rose color. I like the yellow ones.
Sounds like you are describing pale or purple coneflowers. Grey-headed always yellow. My pale and purple should be along any day now. Stay tuned.

I have milk weed growing on the property. Every year when I'm out detecting I take a few seed pods.
I open one and set in the door arm rest of the truck.
Going down country roads that they don't spray, I open the passenger window, and the fluffy seed goes out the window. I look in the mirror and see them floating around in yhe air.
Even if doesn't germinate, I feel a tad better trying to make things better.
Good for you Pepperj! Your helping the Monarch butterflies by giving them their only food source to lay their eggs on! Thank you!!!!

Good for you Pepperj! Your helping the Monarch butterflies by giving them their only food source to lay their eggs on! Thank you!!!!
In the migration period going south they seem to like the red clover for a food source.
A couple dozen feeding at a time is a special time to be in the berry patch.

#21. Purple coneflower. It seems that my coneflowers in my prairie patch have died out for some reason. This is the only one I can find and it’s near my garage, not in pasture. Don’t know what happened to them. They are usually common.
I added a pic of a pale coneflower. I was shaking a bit and it gave it a strange effect.
CB028DBD-4E8E-423B-B9E5-E57D907AC95B.jpeg
F1F32F88-F41E-4A59-AC5A-0D43A91E68F5.jpeg
1BF34E45-385A-4736-9586-4AB986B52F6D.jpeg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back