✅ SOLVED Something very fishy

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dug this circular object near an old stone foundation a couple weeks ago. It is shaped like a plate or saucer, but is only about 1 1/2 inch in diameter. The metal reminds me of pewter, though it is not crumbling. It has the image of two slightly raised fish on it, which is driving my curiosity. I know this is a long shot and that many things we find are unidentifiable, but does anyone have a guess on what this is and its age? Other finds on this site include buttons and buckles from the late 1700s to early 1800s, as well as a few 20th century U.S. coins, shotgun shells, and other typical trash items. I don’t know why I am so curious about this unremarkable find, but any insights would be appreciated. Thanks.
IMG_5993.jpeg
IMG_6001.jpegIMG_6002.jpegIMG_5999.jpeg

Last edited:
Antique dolls house platter maybe? This kind of thing:

View attachment 2107420
Thank you. That is a very plausible idea. I found a small saucer about two years ago that a couple posters thought might have been from a play tea set (pictured here). Maybe this is a similar item, perhaps for a doll house as you suggest. If so, I wonder how old? Thanks for the feedback!IMG_6003.jpegIMG_6004.jpeg

Upvote 1
It is intriguing. Note that the fish are not identical. They appear to have been shaped by hand, not on the completed item but in a mold that was used to cast it. So small does suggest doll dish.

Upvote 1
Definite dolls plate. Pewter examples are 19th century or earlier, but with the design I’d say mid 19th.

Upvote 1
It is intriguing. Note that the fish are not identical. They appear to have been shaped by hand, not on the completed item but in a mold that was used to cast it. So small does suggest doll dish.
Thank you for your comments and opinion. It does have a hand made look to it that I really like

Upvote 0
Definite dolls plate. Pewter examples are 19th century or earlier, but with the design I’d say mid 19th.
Thank you for the opinion and guess on age. I am going with the doll plate ID, as that makes sense and had crossed my mind too. Appreciate the comments.

Upvote 1
Thanks everyone for the comments and the ID, i.e., doll related plate. I am going to mark this one as solved. I really appreciate the help and I am always impressed by the knowledge on this forum.

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back