✅ SOLVED Snap shot of 1940s movie stars Who are they ???

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the things I like to do is go through the boxes of old photo's found in antique stores. I came across a bunch that had old shots of Washington DC and some were handwritten with a blue ink pen with some info of the photo and a few with the date June 1943. This 5-1/4" x 4" B&W photo is handwritten on the back, "Science Research Lab Anacostia D.C. Movie Stars etc.(no info as to who these people are). I would say the tall fellow 4th from the left-back-row is Jimmy Stewart, but that's just my opinion for now. As for the other people or so called movie stars in the photo, I've no clue just who they are?... I would say the photo was out of a personal collection that someone took of a trip to Washington D.C. in 1943. I also purchsed other photo I liked of D.C. from the collection.

Attachments

• MV STARS 1.jpg
    MV STARS 1.jpg
    681.5 KB · Views: 516
  • MV STARS 2.jpg
    MV STARS 2.jpg
    565.9 KB · Views: 811
  • MV STARS 3.jpg
    MV STARS 3.jpg
    748.2 KB · Views: 401
Ava Gardner

Attachments

• avahat.JPG
    avahat.JPG
    18.3 KB · Views: 236
Upvote 0
The woman on the far left is Ava Gardner.

dCMatt
I think you got a bullseye DCM, Who ever she is, she sure has that million dollar smile, just like the one Ava Gardner had, so I'm going with Ava for now. Also I think Breezie's doing an outstanding job, better then I could do from the request you asked of me. Can you go with what Breezie's been doing? Thanks! ..... And Thank you! Breezie and you too Surf, Brambe & NVNut. You guys are great!

Patricia Morison ? I think her chin is not the same as Ava's ....This is Ava Gardner and Gene Autry made her smile by something he said.

Attachments

• ava gradner.jpg
    ava gradner.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Makes one wonder if that could be Mickey Rooney looking over John Paynes shoulder

Upvote 0
Makes one wonder if that could be Mickey Rooney looking over John Paynes shoulder

He's too tall to be Mickey. Ha! Could be Gene Raymond. I don't think it is Gene Autry because I can't find a pic of him without his hat.

Breezie - I believe the guy behind Ava Gardner is Wayne Morris.

DCMatt

Upvote 0
Matt, I added Wayne Morris; good eye!!!

:)
Breezie

Upvote 0
I will guess that the old guy in the center is Secretary of the Navy Frank Knox.

The girl on the far right I think is Deanna Durbin. I found another pic of her in Washington and it looks like she's wearing the same hat.

DCMatt

Upvote 0
Here's another photo of the players with Eleanor Roosevelt:

463a8803f0656f05_large
President Franklin D. Roosevelt'S Birthday Ball

There's several others (at the above link) that may give a better view of certain participants.

Rather than William Holden, I believe that is Ensign Wayne Morris in the left corner.

600full-wayne-morris.jpg Wayne_Morris_-_USN.jpg

scan531-785x1024.jpg

Upvote 0
Here are a couple more. I don't know how much they will help since they are lower quality scans but they might...

Attachments

• washingtonstars1942b.jpg
    washingtonstars1942b.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 124
  • washingtonstars1942a.jpg
    washingtonstars1942a.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 102
Upvote 0
Nice pics Bramble & Surf :icon_thumright: I'll update my pic.

Tamrock, you certainly bought a really NEAT photo for 50 cents!!!

:)
Breezie

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Excellent research, again,surf and bramble. This shows that the guy with the "spats" is actually Senator Radcliffe. I don't know how to label the photo, like Breezie, but It could use an update, as I'm thinking it has been solved. Except maybe the Colonel Klink looking fellow.

Upvote 0
From Surfs pic from the LIFE mag., its clear to me my photo was most likely taken the same day. I also don't think Ava Gardner is in the photo I have and that the women on the left I thought was Ava can not be her. I don't know who she is now? I see these folks in the LIFE shot have the same clothes on as in the photo I have. Judy Canvova, John Payne, Barbara Stanwyck and some others. Who is the women on the left in the turbin?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Could the guy in glasses be Tommy Dorsey?

dorseytotom.jpeg

DCMatt

Upvote 0
Hard for me to find a picture of the Volucia woman, but I'm thinking she might be in this photo, maybe the Stanwyck looking lady

Upvote 0
Here are a couple more. I don't know how much they will help since they are lower quality scans but they might...
It's BIG help!!! For sure a piece of the puzzle that fits. Thanks! Bramblefind

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back