🥇 BANNER Snakes - one was patriotic

gforce1972

May 3, 2012
York, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Was on a group hunt this past weekend down south. Day one, early into the hunt I found this patriotic button with a snake on the rim. I'm told that it's from the revolutionary war. Here it is cleaned up a little with a toothpick. I'm starting to see some shine peaking through. Would appreciate any advice on next step in cleaning/preserving. The real snake was found on day 2. Think it is a yellow rat snake.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1422928842.371422.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1422929065.185622.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1422929080.686718.jpg

Gary

Upvote 36
Banner nod sent, congrats on a stellar find. It cleaned up really nice.
ZDD

crazy finds! grats!

I just voted Banner. The history of the button design brings home what the founding fathers fought for and someone took pride in wearing this button to show their patriotism and love of country, however so young at the time.

Don

One more thing. My apologies to gforce1972 for his OP going off topic. I hate it when serious posts become something different than intended. I do hope that if the point about "Banners" is recognized here that it will make his/her Great find that much more significant.

One more thing. My apologies to gforce1972 for his OP going off topic. I hate it when serious posts become something different than intended. I do hope that if the point about "Banners" is recognized here that it will make his/her Great find that much more significant.

X2, sorry

Again I have to agree with you SS. Though I'm not a "seasoned" member I lurked here for a couple of years before I became a member and I was here before and through the big transition when a lot of seasoned members left. I used to look at making banner as an honor but after a while I started to get a bad taste in my mouth about how things seemed to work. I started following less and chose to not post my finds so much. Just a lot of unanswered questions. I've certainly seen you and some others battling on this issue and sometimes you weren't so popular. OK to be fair maybe you were on the brink of being booted. :laughing7:

The fact is that the moderators use their discretion when it comes to the rules and guidelines of banners which leaves the question of transparency. They have stated too, that enough votes to make a particular find "Banner" has not been met on occasion. Don't change the rules per say, enhance the guidelines. A "Banner" meter, gauge or whatever you want to call it lets the members see if that's been met. It also can create interesting statistics as far as what types of things members find interesting. My intent like yours, is not to give them a hard time. I have a ton of respect for those who take a lot of flack and often get little respect in return for doing a tuff job that few would do. That's not counting the time, knowledge, patience, ect. that it takes.

We wouldn't be doing Tnet, or the world for that matter, any good if we didn't question how things are and we're not open to being questioned.

All of this should really be in General Discussion, but I too feel myself being sucked in. (SORRY) Partly because of the reason SS stated, this OP has 0 banners & he must have met all the criteria that the pervious one had made. This can only make the site 'look' unfair, nothing in this world upsets people more than that.
Although I quite like the idea of a banner count I'm not sure it fixes the issue. For example, if one of the criteria for a banner was 20 votes (along with other criteria, which is judged how?) & you could see the count real time then this could cause more conflict than it solves. Because if it got stuck at 19, it would be easy to 'rally' other artifical votes to push it over the edge. People would focus on the counter, not the find.
I do agree though that we should make it mandatory to give a reason whilst voting. These 'anonymous' reasons along with the total voting would make some good stats & could be published lets say 2 weeks after the OP post.
I used to get in the same kind of battles as SS, but it was mainly to get the European stand point clarified when we were discussing Extremely Rare finds. Some may think that becuase I have loads of banners I'm happy with the situation, well I'm not unhappy but I see the issues from all sides. I have had some make it that should not have done (IMO), & others that were no brainers (IMO) that never got reconized. The simple thing is, if you join this site just to get banners, you are missing the point. For the most part its best to keep at heart what 'you know' & be happy with it & like this post shows, you have supporters who agree with you.
At the end of the day this is a great site & we all make it that way - Enough said.

Last edited:
In response re the other finds of the day... This was a three day organized hunt. Upon arriving we learned that the property had been group hunted three times prior. I was hunting with two friends who I also regularly hunt with in PA. I found this button within the first two hours of day one. I found nothing else all day, aside from some lead buckshot. My hunting partners each got skunked. When I dug the button it was caked in dirt and I couldn't tell what it was. Not wanting to damage it, as is my practice with all button finds, I carefully put it in my tackle box with cotton balls for review later. Later in the day I ran into the event organizer and showed it to him. He immediately knew what it was and said it was the find if the day, and likely would be of the weekend. Day two I got totally skunked aside from an old spoon head and a few general odds and ends. My partners found a flat button, old key and a few basic odds and ends. After hunting two full days and finding next to nothing, we were physically wiped out and decided to cut our losses and head home on the 10 drive back. Unfortunately, this is the only find worthy of a picture/post from this trip. There were 200 people at this hunt and many asked to look at the button once word got out. I understand if the powers to be have concerns about the legitimacy of this find. It's real and The fact that Bill and I found the same button at the same time is a true coincidence. Since I got back to frozen PA I haven't even cleaned out my finds pouch to see if I missed something. I'm not sure what else I can say. Frankly I was disappointed in driving so far for finding so little aside from this gem. I appreciate everyone's interest in this button and its nomination for banner.

As I said before, I post here to share my finds and I enjoy seeing what others post and learning from the knowledgeable people who are here. Banners are a neat aside but it's not my motivation for being active here. Thanks for the clarification.

Congrats on getting it up there, looks great and congrats once agin on the find.

Congrats on the Banner buddy. Very deserving find

Congrats on making Banner!

Maybe you just needed more of the story.

I've tattooed 3 of my favorite flat buttons on my arm. Tough to tell apart unless you are an expert. Who knows what I'd do if I found a snake button? :laughing7:

I have also found one of them. I found it last fall (I think) and thought it was cool but had no idea of the significance. Great find!

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    886.9 KB · Views: 112
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    858.1 KB · Views: 111
Congratulations on your gorgeous Stars & Snake Button find Gary!:occasion14:

Most definitely BANNER worthy! :thumbsup:

Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread