🥇 BANNER Snakes - one was patriotic

gforce1972

May 3, 2012
York, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Was on a group hunt this past weekend down south. Day one, early into the hunt I found this patriotic button with a snake on the rim. I'm told that it's from the revolutionary war. Here it is cleaned up a little with a toothpick. I'm starting to see some shine peaking through. Would appreciate any advice on next step in cleaning/preserving. The real snake was found on day 2. Think it is a yellow rat snake.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1422928842.371422.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1422929065.185622.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1422929080.686718.jpg

Gary

Upvote 36
Looks good. I wouldn't do any thing else with that button. Looks like the plating and the patina have become one, and I can see it flaking away on the rim between 4 and 5 o'clock on the second picture.

Glad to see you were able to salvage so much detail. I hope the folks will continue to vote so we can see this one up on the banner too.

This find deserves Banner. It is just a fluke that two were dug in the same week.

Dan - I know how it is with timing. So much can happen on the forums in just 24 hours when the better finds are pouring in quickly. You definitely had bigger priorities at the time. I don't believe the button has any wood backing. I almost tossed it in my odds & ends collection, as I couldn't initially make an ID. I fortunately noticed the rim was not uniform and realized something wasn't right. I then found it in the Alberts book. A month later I found the George Washington Inaugural at another site. Man, I hated saying goodbye to 2014. Hopefully, 2015 will be equally good or maybe even better.

Here's some more info for everyone on these buttons from Western & Eastern Treasures.

View attachment 1115516

I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU FOUND THAT :laughing7: THAT IS MY FIRST SNAKE BUTTON AND I SUBMITTED IT TO MARK PARKER FOR HIS OPINION.

Awesome find I'm voting Banner!

To the OP: whether this find actually makes the Banner or not it is a Banner find to all of us who love colonial relics. That button is a piece of patriotic history and I would absolutely love to add one to my collection some day. So congrats on a "Banner" find

I voted banner also

I've only found 1 button worth more than $600, so I think you have a goodun!!

Although both snake buttons they are not identical, don't see why this is not banner yet.:icon_scratch: I'll vote now to see if it pushes it over the required amount.

SS

Haven't voted on this ( till now) or Bills because I knew they would both go straight to the top. Who knows?:dontknow:
Never did care for a lot of rules and regulations. They often seem to naturally go against the grain of common sence.
That's why when I'm told that rules apply here that I vote "Banner" anyway, if it's warrented. Things change when enough people with "common sense" voice there opinion.

WTG - AWESOME find

I appreciate everyone's support for banner. I've never had a find considered for banner so I appreciate the support. I don't post my finds here in hopes of getting banner. Rather, I enjoy sharing the coolness that is this hobby. So banner or not, I'm just glad to be able to share this very cool piece of history with all of you.

G

Got my vote for banner, Awesome find and hope you get banner!!

Cool find....my detector doesn't find snakes....what was the VDi reading on the snake (after you used your coil to "ground balance" the snake?)

I would vote Banner but I ran out of Banner votes midway of last year and I won't to be sure that doesn't happen this year

I would vote Banner but I ran out of Banner votes midway of last year and I won't to be sure that doesn't happen this year

That should a banner post right there. ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back