peanut

Apr 19, 2009
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SILVER at 1830's homesite

Me and my huntin buddy Randy (randyinarkansas) have been hunting this 1830's homesite for a while now and have found some nice stuff to include: 2 large cents, several buttons, and lots of non metalic items like bone dominoes, clay pipes, and lots of other stuff, but today i finally found some silver that i knew would be there.

1838 O Half Dime without stars and in exellent condition...only 70,000 were minted i have enclosed a computer scan of the coin.

Attachments

• scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 1,973
  • scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 1,964
Upvote 0
Re: BANNER FIND!!!!!!!! Updated Pics of the 1838 O Half Dime..only 70,000 mint

A scarce coin, and one not often found.

What consitutes "banner"?
Monetary value? Or uncommon-ness?

If it is solely monetary value, then this find does not make the cut.
If it is uncommon-ness, then it does make the banner - when was the last time you saw nice condition no-stars seated dug?
It's probably an unquantifiable combination of the two.

Agree with others though, if you have to ask for banner status, it's probably not banner.

Re: BANNER FIND!!!!!!!! Updated Pics of the 1838 O Half Dime..only 70,000 minted

OK lets see what the mods say
what are the rules for banner finds is it the value , the rareness,
the condition it was found under or is it as i allways thought it was
what the members thought of the find
if its the rareness then my sons (fisher2) eucherist case is a very rare find
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,254576.0.html
the value of the case is unknown
do i belive its a banner find ...no
it is a great find
but if 85% of those who read the post vote banner then it should be
as for this half dime i vote banner

Re: BANNER FIND!!!!!!!! Updated Pics of the 1838 O Half Dime..only 70,000 minted

Peanut - excellent find. Don't to worked up about whether or not this is a banner find. The voting is sort of like American Idol - the results will not reflect everyone's idea of the best musician or in this case "best find". Also, I think that the fact you are only a new member does not help. Last year I found an 1837 half dime (not nearly as rare or in as good a condition as your coin) AND a 1877 IH (in G4 condition) in the same hunt and I did not make the banner. Since I now follow '77 IH finds, I can say that every one of those posted made it to the banner (except mine). Like you, I did (do) not have many posts and much of a "following" so I'm sure that plays a role in the banner stats. Having found the half dime, I also follow those finds with interest and have to say that the 1 per week posting estimate by hogge is more or less accurate.

Just view the banner for what it is: eye candy to motivate folks to go out and find something special and unique. You already have that in your great find.

Surprman

That is one great seated find. I really don't think the number of posts you have much sways a majority banner vote. I think you cost yourself many votes with the self proclaimed "Banner Find: vote for me" strategy. In fact, you could have found a cache of 100 of them inside a golden chalice and I probably still wouldn't have voted banner for someone who is that hard up for attention. Again, nice find, JJ

Banner or not I was blessed to find it. Thanks for all your comments. God bless you all.

peanut

p.s. banner coming soon

It should not matter if he/she is new or not. It should be the quality of the find. Perhaps in the excitement of the moment the gun was jumped slightly. For all of you veterans who have nothing but crappy comments to make: You are the ones who are always on here talking about keeping things in check and how outsiders might view what is said on this website. You chide others for the way they act then have the nerve to discount this find and dash the hopes of a new member. Sounds like a great way to keep new members coming and have people think well of this internet community. :icon_thumright: Sounds like there may be something of a hierarchy at work here. Hope your warm reception makes the new member feel welcome!

Good find Peanut! To he** with naysayers.

HH!

Mike

I think a lot of senarios come into effect when deciding on banner, book value, how rare, condition.
Coins that are worth a $1,000 or more usually make the top 10. great find though. ive never found one. if i were you id be tearing that spot up.
Pro-

I think it is a banner find due to the low mintage status. To me your chances of finding one of these vs. finding a 77 IH or 16D merc are much lower. The numasmatic world and collectors determine prices. This coin is rarer that both those. To me it isn't about the money. I think you've got a banner find there.

deffannitly a banner find!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great find! Welcome to treasure net. Have you gone back to that spot yet?

Sniper1K said:
It should not matter if he/she is new or not. It should be the quality of the find. Perhaps in the excitement of the moment the gun was jumped slightly. For all of you veterans who have nothing but crappy comments to make: You are the ones who are always on here talking about keeping things in check and how outsiders might view what is said on this website. You chide others for the way they act then have the nerve to discount this find and dash the hopes of a new member. Sounds like a great way to keep new members coming and have people think well of this internet community. :icon_thumright: Sounds like there may be something of a hierarchy at work here. Hope your warm reception makes the new member feel welcome!

Good find Peanut! To he** with naysayers.
HH!

Mike

Mike,
I agree with you. Just read through some of the replies on this post. Heck I wouldn't want to post anything on TN again either if I were beat down with having a great find like that.
No wonder the replies to posts have seemed to drop off drastically over the past years. A lot of it is because of the negative comments by some members that seem to think they can do better. I mean honestly, how many of us have EVER found one of these coins?
Excitement I'm sure played a big part of Peanuts title on this post. I still remember the excitement when I found my first CW bullet.

Lighten up folks. You should be praising a decent find, not slamming it. Continue on and maybe some day you can have your own "Put Down" forum to wallow in.

Peanut,
GREAT FIND and please continue the posts!!! You beat the heck out of my 1833 Half Dime. Mine didn't make banner either. Maybe because of the scratch and hole through it. ;D
-MM-

Attachments

• MVC-051S.JPG
    MVC-051S.JPG
    20.7 KB · Views: 900
  • MVC-051S.JPG
    MVC-051S.JPG
    20.7 KB · Views: 904

Peanut is the best hunting partner a guy can have. He has found more old coins than anybody I know and he lets me tag along with him to these super secret places. Go to our myspace page and check out some of these finds (www.myspace.com/wcdiggers). Thats the second 1838 O half dime he's found..the other was in bad shape with a hole in it. So my hats off to ya Peanut an yet another super find..banner or not.

Re: SILVER at 1830's homesite

X-Terra70_TreasureHunter said:
If Peanut thinks its worth so much send it to
PCGS or NGC or ANACS and have it graded.

Don't be surprized when it comes back as
being graded in a LOW GRADE.

Dave

Not Important in my opinion Dave.

It's Still an Awsome find.
The size alone Causes many of them to be Missed

Very nice find and a promising site by the sounds of it Peanut. Good luck in your searches.Let us know what else you find there. MM2

Peanut....Let me first say Wecome to T-Net and our forum. Alot of the members on here know me and my passion for our hobby. I said in the postings of this find it was an excellent recovery and I meant it. If anything was taken in a derogatory manner, I apologize. That is not my style. This is a great place and,fun place, to show your finds, and from what I've heard you've found some good ones. The members on here know I sell alot of my relics and coins, and try to give insite on coin values.(some like it, some don't). You can learn alot from the other members on here, as I have. I know from personal experiences in selling coins, that you can be let down on values, as to selling prices. I recently sold a coin at a Stacks auction in Jan. A 1783, CFT, KG III half penny. Classified as a 25-83A, 1of 3*, (mine being the 3rd), known to exist. Graded EF40 by some of the Worlds most renown numisists at Stacks. A previous 25-83A had sold the year before for 11,000 at EF40. The write up they did on my coin was great. It had better detail, struck on a better planchet, better date, extremely well centered...etc. I had 2 private sale offers for $5,000 apiece. One at the Baystate Coin Show in Boston, and another from a C-4 member acting through another buyer. Here I am thinking $6-7,000 for a ground found copper! Let 'em fight it out! Went to auction, and sold for $3,750. After 5% Stacks fee, I got $3,560. Was I dissapointed...somewhat. My point is this......Even though my coin was considered as good, or even better than the one that sold for $11,000, By grade and appeal, it had a condition issue. Porus sufaces. Collectors and dealers are even MORE critical of Silver and Gold coins. The Red Book Coin Guide, which most of own, IS JUST THAT. A guide. One scratch can cause a coin to drop in value by 1/2. The Red Book does not take these issues into consideration. If your anything like me, I like to sell. I just don't want you to be in for a big let down if you go to sell or even value the coin. The responses I had were NOT directed at you or your find, but to responses from the other posts, on your behalf. I would have been stoked at finding that coin and I'm waiting to see others from you. Once again.....WELCOME, Congrats on your find, and HH. "The Hoggester"

randyinarkansas said:
Peanut had this coin professionally graded..it went Very Fine..the only reason it didnt go higher was the ding in the rim...value $475

Man, they sure did grade that coin FAST. Can I see a photo of it in the slab?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back