peanut

Apr 19, 2009
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SILVER at 1830's homesite

Me and my huntin buddy Randy (randyinarkansas) have been hunting this 1830's homesite for a while now and have found some nice stuff to include: 2 large cents, several buttons, and lots of non metalic items like bone dominoes, clay pipes, and lots of other stuff, but today i finally found some silver that i knew would be there.

1838 O Half Dime without stars and in exellent condition...only 70,000 were minted i have enclosed a computer scan of the coin.

Attachments

• scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 1,973
  • scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 1,964
Upvote 0
Re: BANNER FIND!!!!!!!! Updated Pics of the 1838 O Half Dime..only 70,000 minted

randyinarkansas said:
Peanut had this coin professionally graded..it went Very Fine..the only reason it didnt go higher was the ding in the rim...value $475 If he had it graded , why is it not encased? If it was just shown to a dealer, that is not proffessionally graded. I'm not suggesting it wouldn't go VF-20, but there are some scratches to the right, and the rear left leaves are lacking VF detail. The damage takes away 1/2 the value, of ANY grade. None the less, given the criteria in this forum, it's NOT Banner material.

Re: BANNER FIND!!!!!!!! Updated Pics of the 1838 O Half Dime..only 70,000 minted

hogge said:
randyinarkansas said:
Peanut had this coin professionally graded..it went Very Fine..the only reason it didnt go higher was the ding in the rim...value $475 If he had it graded , why is it not encased? If it was just shown to a dealer, that is not proffessionally graded. I'm not suggesting it wouldn't go VF-20, but there are some scratches to the right, and the rear left leaves are lacking VF detail. The damage takes away 1/2 the value, of ANY grade. None the less, given the criteria in this forum, it's NOT Banner material.

And you mean to tell me the Mercury dime on there is. it's almost completely worn... You seem to be the only one who thinks it's not banner material.

I'd buy it for $50 :thumbsup:

How often do we see a half dime found on this forum. (SELDOM) I have never found one in the 12 years of detecting, I'm sure not many have either. GREAT, GREAT FIND :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft: :headbang: :headbang: Also I am fairly new the forum, I am not sure if you have a certain amount of posts to make banner.

randyinarkansas said:
hogge said:
randyinarkansas said:

And you mean to tell me the Mercury dime on there is. it's almost completely worn... You seem to be the only one who thinks it's not banner material.
The 1916-D Merc-At a G-4 (basically being able to being Id'd), IS a $1,000 coin. Give it up! The coin he has is ONLY a $100 coin! :help: If you want me to pick this thing apart I WILL! IT'S A VERY NICE FIND! :stop:

Nova said:
How often do we see a half dime found on this forum. (SELDOM) I have never found one in the 12 years of detecting, I'm sure not many have either. GREAT, GREAT FIND :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft: :headbang: :headbang:
About once a week. :laughing9: And that's no lie

hogge said:
Nova said:
How often do we see a half dime found on this forum. (SELDOM) I have never found one in the 12 years of detecting, I'm sure not many have either. GREAT, GREAT FIND :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft: :headbang: :headbang:
Ok hogge prove it! Do you have links? to these half dime finds?

A very nice half dime for sure. Any coin with a mint of 70k is great in my opinion. To be honest, its the first post i've seen where someone has asked for a banner vote, its a bit suprising. Everyones opinion of a banner find varies, so don't be offended if someone doesn't find it banner worthy.

James.
HomesteadHunter.

Nova said:
hogge said:
Nova said:
Ok hogge prove it! Do you have links? to these half dime finds?
June 17 Post........Jazdo----1856 Half Dime.......They are NOT uncommon. I'm sure if you go back you'll find 10 or more found this year. You guys have to get out more. ;D

hogge said:
randyinarkansas said:
hogge said:
randyinarkansas said:

Pick if you want to, but the bottom line it was profesionally graded at VF so anything you say otherwise is mute...you dont have to try and steal somebodies thunder because you want to be right.
The 1916-D Merc-At a G-4 (basically being able to being Id'd), IS a $1,000 coin. Give it up! The coin he has is ONLY a $100 coin! :help: If you want me to pick this thing apart I WILL! IT'S A VERY NICE FIND! :stop:

That is a very nice find. Congratulations on an outstanding find. Thank you for sharing your find with us.

Ray S

GEE WHIZZ! Sorry to cause such a stir, but I'm not very good at "sugar coating" things. If this was a Banner Find, it would have been nominated in it's "original" posting. "XTerra Treasure" had a VERY GOOD description of this coin (as did I). Congratulations Peanut, on an excellent recovery. Hogge

Beautiful coin Peanut. Half dimes are hard to come by no matter what year they are. Congrats on a great find.

Mainer

Banner or not. That coin looks great. I would be proud to find one of those in my lifetime. And just think you have one of just 70,000 of them and I bet they won't go down in value from here on out! Congrats on the seated OH............Jgas

not sure why everyone is giving you a coin grade and the price they think it would sell for??
it is a super find, that anyone here would be thrilled to dig!

There is always someone to rain on everyone's parade.
It's still a super find no matter what he says.
I have been metal detecting for thirty years
and have never found one like that.
Happy hunting and don't let the naysayers get you down .

Re: BANNER FIND!!!!!!!! Updated Pics of the 1838 O Half Dime..only 70,000 mint

Yes great find on the coin. Is there a story to go with it?

Re: BANNER FIND!!!!!!!! Updated Pics of the 1838 O Half Dime..only 70,000 mint

not that it matters............but i have to agree with hogge. $100 finds are too common. Banner needs to be a little more special.

Awesome find though! I would take it any day!

ding or no ding
no banner vote
if you need to ask you dont need it

999slvrfx said:
There is always someone to rain on everyone's parade.
It's still a super find no matter what he says.
I have been metal detecting for thirty years
and have never found one like that.
Happy hunting and don't let the naysayers get you down .

Well said 999. :icon_thumleft:
An excellent find.
-MM-

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back