Should I try digging??

Mojavehunter

Jun 7, 2024
I have some property in Central Oregon that I've found a few points on.
Homearrow.jpgInsitu.jpgArrow.jpg
This has given me the obsession that you all enjoy so much!! Recently I spoke to a neighbor who has lived next to me for 50 years. He said that between my place and his he has collected hundreds of arrowheads over the years. Knowing that its been picked over pretty well should I keep looking or maybe sift around?? Assuming I had the legal permit for digging on my own land, would it be worth a look nd how should I start if so?

Upvote 8
I surface hunt and dig, artifacts have a way of continuously turning up on the surface so I don’t think a good spot will get picked over, although they do slow down. Digging will give you an idea of what you’re working with, how deep things go. I made a simple screen out of a box of treated 2x2’s wrapped with a probably 1/4” wire screen set with staples. When I want to go slow I’ll scrape out a square layer by layer, if I want to go fast I’ll start a hole going down a foot or two then I’ll scrape down the sides of the hole, you’ll kind of learn the sound flint makes when you bounce off of it. Then sift what you scrape off and toss it out of the hole. As far as picking a spot to dig I usually look on the surface for a spot with flakes and go from there.

I’ve dug sites with arkie Mike Gramly. Usually the first thing they do is a shovel test. Dig a hole 12-18” and spread dirt around and see what’s there. Move and repeat. If there is a site there, you should be seeing flint chips in some of the holes. You can use that info to zero in on the place to dig and screen.

View attachment 2154817View attachment 2154818View attachment 2154819
This has given me the obsession that you all enjoy so much!! Recently I spoke to a neighbor who has lived next to me for 50 years. He said that between my place and his he has collected hundreds of arrowheads over the years. Knowing that its been picked over pretty well should I keep looking or maybe sift around?? Assuming I had the legal permit for digging on my own land, would it be worth a look nd how should I start if so?
When I dig, I dig near water and i find old rotted stumps that can easily be removed.I have had great luck.Its really about location and the density of artifacts.

Attachments

• 20240617_083433.jpg
    20240617_083433.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 27
Oregon is simular to Idaho and Nevada where most indians would bury thier dwellings partially. Look for depressions that look out of place. Sometimes those can be good places to dig. You do not need a permit to dig your own land in Oregon especially outside of city limits.

Oregon is simular to Idaho and Nevada where most indians would bury thier dwellings partially. Look for depressions that look out of place. Sometimes those can be good places to dig. You do not need a permit to dig your own land in Oregon especially outside of city limits.
It was the same in BC. Indications in the bush always ment a camp/settlement.

But now it's even a no-no on private property.
"Archaeological sites on both public and private land are protected under the Heritage Conservation Act, whether they are known or not, and must not be altered without a permit. There are more than 50,000 archaeological sites currently recorded in B.C. with many more being added to the provincial inventory every year."

Those 50,000 sites are not public knowledge.
Even if a person buys a piece of land to build a home.
It could very well be a location, and then the person can't build.

It was the same in BC. Indications in the bush always ment a camp/settlement.

But now it's even a no-no on private property.
"Archaeological sites on both public and private land are protected under the Heritage Conservation Act, whether they are known or not, and must not be altered without a permit. There are more than 50,000 archaeological sites currently recorded in B.C. with many more being added to the provincial inventory every year."

Those 50,000 sites are not public knowledge.
Even if a person buys a piece of land to build a home.
It could very well be a location, and then the person can't build.
Wow. That sucks. Seems like they should have to disclose that kind of information.

View attachment 2154817View attachment 2154818View attachment 2154819
It's never to early to start digging. If you don't find and rescue it, it will be gone forever.

It's never to early to start digging. If you don't find and rescue it, it will be gone forever.
Thanks Lone Star, as much as I agree with you and don't like being told what I can and cant do on my own land, it is illegal in Oregon to dig on your land without a proper permit. I'm not sure exactly what that means but I think Ill just keep looking on the surface to avoid any issues. Now that being said if you would have said that to me a month ago I would have been super gun ho, but recently I've been thinking a lot about this topic and the more I dive into the history of my area the more I start maybe respecting the wishes of the local tribes. From what I've gathered they try and leave that stuff alone out of respect for there ancestors. On the flip side I totally understand what you mean. A fella who goes by the name Hoss kind of helped me understand that I need to abide by the laws that were probably put there out of the same respect.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back