Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to the beach to help my brother after his surgery. I wasn’t planning on detecting, but being a good scout I took my detector with me anyway. He ended up staying in the hospital so bad for him but good for me because I got a chance to detect. It was supposed to be in the high 30s, but when I hit the beach the sand was frozen on the top and even with gloves my hands were stiff and cold. Luckily as the sun came up it did warm up so most of the hunt was ok.

I spent 4.5 hours swingin the CZ21 and I just wandered around looking for hot spots and places that there still might be a few coins from the summer and maybe a nice piece of jewelry somebody else missed. For the most part the beach was very quiet, not even nails. They must have had a temporary fence up for some event because I dug a pile aluminum fence rings and a few pipe connections that held the sections of fence together. I only found one hot spot, but it was a good one. There was an area of sand between the boardwalk and a fence along part of the amusement park area that had some sand piles on it. The piles turned out to be fairly heavy in coins. I only found about 15 to 20 coins on the main beach and the others were from the sand piles.

All together I found 88 coins with a face value of $5.78, part of a brass pipe connector, a junky earring, 2 beads, a tiny skateboard, a 1941 Mercury dime, a 1958 wheatie, some keys, 2 love locks, 2 Ocean City squashed pennies, a sinker, a lock cylinder, parts of vaping devices, tabs, whole aluminum cans, aluminum fence clips, fence connectors and some foil.

DSCN3055.jpeg

IMG_8229.jpeg

The section of beach I worked is huge. It is about 150 yards from the boardwalk to the shoreline. They use tractors with a special tow behind trailer to smooth the beach constantly (they were doing it while I was there detecting). This beach has been detected a lot and I have been doing it for over 20 years myself. All this is why I was truly shocked to find a Mercury dime staring at me when I looked at the dime I found sticking out of the sand while I was detecting. The sand was still frozen on top and when the detector sounded off I looked down and could see the edge sticking up. I picked it up and had to look at it twice. I couldn’t believe it. I certainly wasn’t expecting a merc on this beach. How it got there is really a mystery, but I have two theories. One, it has been there a long time and the normal movement of the sand along with the constant movement by the tractors and loaders (if the sand drifts up too high they use front end loaders to help flatten it back out) brought it to the surface where it could be found or two, it came out of someone’s change jar that had been there for many years and was in circulation recently and lost in the last few years. Either way it made my day.

IMG_8226.jpeg

DSCN3056.jpeg

When I found the first love lock I was surprised. I didn’t see anyplace nearby for them to hang it. When I found the second I looked around and saw a fence on the pier above the area I was in that was loaded with locks. That also explains the keys I found. People put their lock on the fence and throw away the key. More junk for me to dig up and recycle. One of the locks was written on with a sharpie and the other was custom made for that purpose.

DSCN3058.jpeg

DAY 2
I had a couple of hours to kill so I went back to the beach. This time I worked a section of beach that was only half the distance to the ocean. This place was really sanded in, even fewer targets than the first hunt. In 2 hours I found 2 nickels, 4 pennies, 2 whole aluminum cans, 3 pieces of foil, one aluminum bottle cap and 2 tabs. I didn’t get skunked, but it was not good at all.

DSCN3059.jpeg

While we were walking one afternoon I spotted a coin in the road. When I picked it up I spotted another, and then another. It turns out I found a road spill of 3 dimes and 8 pennies. Thay have all been run over many times and are all scratched up, but I’ll take them.

DSCN3060.jpeg

I have to detect if I can even if the prospects are poor. You never know what might come out of the ground (or sand) and the Mercury dime proves that. It could have just as easily have been a diamond ring, you never know. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.

The sunrise the first day was rather nice.
IMG_8225.jpeg

DSCN3057.jpeg

Upvote 19
Locks on a fence with keys tossed. Yeah, we're aware of a secret spot at the base of a sand bluff that has a mini bottle dump going on. Up at the top there's a park where people hang out, couples put locks on the guard rail at the top to represent their commitment to each other sometimes with things written on them. At the base of the bluff, the erosion has washed out and buried many curious objects notably cut off pad locks, keys, intact bottles and what have you. We haven't collected those locks we've found as we kinda both think they're cursed, they all represent the relationships that failed, those locks were taken off the guard, sometimes pretty forcefully and hurled down to hell below. We find cool stuff there but we leave the locks, bad juju. In any case, you have great finds there! How bout that metal heart? Any info on that or is it also a lock?

I'm with tnt-hunter, there are times I just can't help but to detect a place, even if I do not expect much, BUT! "You just never know".

I went to the beach to help my brother after his surgery. I wasn’t planning on detecting, but being a good scout I took my detector with me anyway. He ended up staying in the hospital so bad for him but good for me because I got a chance to detect. It was supposed to be in the high 30s, but when I hit the beach the sand was frozen on the top and even with gloves my hands were stiff and cold. Luckily as the sun came up it did warm up so most of the hunt was ok.

I spent 4.5 hours swingin the CZ21 and I just wandered around looking for hot spots and places that there still might be a few coins from the summer and maybe a nice piece of jewelry somebody else missed. For the most part the beach was very quiet, not even nails. They must have had a temporary fence up for some event because I dug a pile aluminum fence rings and a few pipe connections that held the sections of fence together. I only found one hot spot, but it was a good one. There was an area of sand between the boardwalk and a fence along part of the amusement park area that had some sand piles on it. The piles turned out to be fairly heavy in coins. I only found about 15 to 20 coins on the main beach and the others were from the sand piles.

All together I found 88 coins with a face value of $5.78, part of a brass pipe connector, a junky earring, 2 beads, a tiny skateboard, a 1941 Mercury dime, a 1958 wheatie, some keys, 2 love locks, 2 Ocean City squashed pennies, a sinker, a lock cylinder, parts of vaping devices, tabs, whole aluminum cans, aluminum fence clips, fence connectors and some foil.

View attachment 2135454

View attachment 2135455

The section of beach I worked is huge. It is about 150 yards from the boardwalk to the shoreline. They use tractors with a special tow behind trailer to smooth the beach constantly (they were doing it while I was there detecting). This beach has been detected a lot and I have been doing it for over 20 years myself. All this is why I was truly shocked to find a Mercury dime staring at me when I looked at the dime I found sticking out of the sand while I was detecting. The sand was still frozen on top and when the detector sounded off I looked down and could see the edge sticking up. I picked it up and had to look at it twice. I couldn’t believe it. I certainly wasn’t expecting a merc on this beach. How it got there is really a mystery, but I have two theories. One, it has been there a long time and the normal movement of the sand along with the constant movement by the tractors and loaders (if the sand drifts up too high they use front end loaders to help flatten it back out) brought it to the surface where it could be found or two, it came out of someone’s change jar that had been there for many years and was in circulation recently and lost in the last few years. Either way it made my day.

View attachment 2135453

View attachment 2135456

When I found the first love lock I was surprised. I didn’t see anyplace nearby for them to hang it. When I found the second I looked around and saw a fence on the pier above the area I was in that was loaded with locks. That also explains the keys I found. People put their lock on the fence and throw away the key. More junk for me to dig up and recycle. One of the locks was written on with a sharpie and the other was custom made for that purpose.

View attachment 2135458

DAY 2
I had a couple of hours to kill so I went back to the beach. This time I worked a section of beach that was only half the distance to the ocean. This place was really sanded in, even fewer targets than the first hunt. In 2 hours I found 2 nickels, 4 pennies, 2 whole aluminum cans, 3 pieces of foil, one aluminum bottle cap and 2 tabs. I didn’t get skunked, but it was not good at all.

View attachment 2135460

While we were walking one afternoon I spotted a coin in the road. When I picked it up I spotted another, and then another. It turns out I found a road spill of 3 dimes and 8 pennies. Thay have all been run over many times and are all scratched up, but I’ll take them.

View attachment 2135459

I have to detect if I can even if the prospects are poor. You never know what might come out of the ground (or sand) and the Mercury dime proves that. It could have just as easily have been a diamond ring, you never know. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.

The sunrise the first day was rather nice.
View attachment 2135461

View attachment 2135457
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Locks on a fence with keys tossed. Yeah, we're aware of a secret spot at the base of a sand bluff that has a mini bottle dump going on. Up at the top there's a park where people hang out, couples put locks on the guard rail at the top to represent their commitment to each other sometimes with things written on them. At the base of the bluff, the erosion has washed out and buried many curious objects notably cut off pad locks, keys, intact bottles and what have you. We haven't collected those locks we've found as we kinda both think they're cursed, they all represent the relationships that failed, those locks were taken off the guard, sometimes pretty forcefully and hurled down to hell below. We find cool stuff there but we leave the locks, bad juju. In any case, you have great finds there! How bout that metal heart? Any info on that or is it also a lock?
Thanks for your input. The heart shaped object is a personalized lock. Thanks again, stay safe, good luck and keep swingi.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back