Tenderfoot
Jul 1, 2024

Attachments

• IMG_2501.jpg
    IMG_2501.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 97
Upvote 4
Welcome to Tnet

Interesting, but unfortunately your picture is terrible. Could we please have some larger close-ups which are in focus?

Are you sure the inclusions are coral? Are they glassy in appearance and is the specimen very light in overall weight... because it looks like it might be a piece of pumice with fire opal phenocrysts?

Welcome to Tnet

Interesting, but unfortunately your picture is terrible. Could we please have some larger close-ups which are in focus?

Are you sure the inclusions are coral? Are they glassy in appearance and is the specimen very light in overall weight... because it looks like it might be a piece of pumice with fire opal phenocrysts?

Attachments

• IMG_2516.JPEG
    IMG_2516.JPEG
    324.4 KB · Views: 40
Thank you.

I do not have a better picture, I gave the piece to a friend who is doing some investigating himself. I have attached a different piece, maybe you can see something with this piece.

The weight is solid, I would say it weighs about the same as a softball.
Thanks for your help.

I forgot to answer your question about the coral. Yes 100% coral, it was found in the ocean, it appeared to be sitting there for hundreds of years.

That's typical red algae found on most coral and rock in the keys and south Florida!!
Let me explain a little better...any old dead coral, shells, and rock that is underwater will form soft growths, and algae on them. This is a common algae that is found in tropical waters...it is quite hardy, and will dry in place without even fading...it can usually be scraped off, but is difficult to remove with soaps and chemicals...it will even resist bleach and heavy cleaners. A green abrasive pad will remove it but it is stubborn. It will stick to most surfaces, even glass, and can build up quite thick and become more even in its coverage causing large areas of red discoloration...I'll try and take a picture of some of it on my artifacts that have been out of the water for years and still have it adhering to them.

Let me explain a little better...any old dead coral, shells, and rock that is underwater will form soft growths, and algae on them. This is a common algae that is found in tropical waters...it is quite hardy, and will dry in place without even fading...it can usually be scraped off, but is difficult to remove with soaps and chemicals...it will even resist bleach and heavy cleaners. A green abrasive pad will remove it but it is stubborn. It will stick to most surfaces, even glass, and can build up quite thick and become more even in its coverage causing large areas of red discoloration...I'll try and take a picture of some of it on my artifacts that have been out of the water for years and still have it adhering to them.
Interesting that it appears glassy looking when dry (assuming it’s dry). Is that what the red algae does? Maybe that’s white coral and not shine.
IMG_3104.jpeg

@Tesorodeoro That is an area where it has come off and the underlying white coral is now visible. You can see the same effect on several other spots in the OPs picture. Unfortunately over time these red flecks of algae have faded to a brownish color on most of my artifacts that have it....the other light pinkish stain that is visible is the same algae, just not quite as prominent yet.

Last edited:

This is very prevalent in natural reef habitat...only finding aquarium talk about it...people worry when it forms in there tanks, and it can get pretty bad if there are no natural predators to eat it such as snails, and tropical fish. In the wild it is kept in balance by other organisms feeding on it....to shallow and it will die, and to deep it will not form as fast. Very common and can also form in fresh water...quite common and a sign of a healthy ecosystem it is important for the health of the reef, as everything works in a symbiotic way on a healthy reef.

Screenshot_20240702_045031_Google.jpg

Here it is in a salt water tank...it is easily seen, and can get hard to control in artificial environments (aquariums) a small amount like in the OPs picture, and in this picture represents a healthy ecosystem !! In this pic it is working in conjunction with green algeas !!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back