🥇 BANNER Rt Hon Sir John Blaquiere 1st Baron de Blaquiere. wax seal or signet gold ring found

Eagle 1

Greenie
Jul 25, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
The last 2 days has been great for me. I hit a hole that just keeps on giving. The first day was 2 gold rings 2 - 14k. Day 2 was 4 rings 2 - 14k, 1 - 10k, and 1 - 18k. The lighter is very old also. 1 buff & 1 Murc. But my best fine of the day was that 18k a whopping 14.6g. It is from the 1700's to 1800's The Rt Hon Sir John Blaquiere 1st Baron de Blaquiere. wax seal or signet gold ring was found in Maine on a beach deep in the mud. Lord Belmont In Northern Ireland: 1st Baron de Blaquiere Take a look at WOW. Thanks George79 for your info. He was : The Rt Hon Sir John Blaquiere Bt KCB, 1st Baron de Blaquiere. His first name changed when he became a Baron Lord de Blaquiere. It looks like that he gave this ring to his son the 5th or the 6th William de Blaquiere. WOW I am the proud owner of a very historical ring. I have put it in a bank safe for safe keeping. This may be very valuable. The seal has "Tiens A La Verite" and wheat stalks I think. This is the best find I have ever found of historical scale. This beats out my find of my GW button last year. Only because I could find another one. But I will never find a ring like this a gain it is one of a kind. The makers mark is JW also 18 with no K that should help to date it. It reads on the inside : W. de B. from the Rt Honble - Lord de blaquiere. I hope I will find out more. Here is my photo's

Attachments

• IMG_0325.JPG
    IMG_0325.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 928
  • IMG_0339.JPG
    IMG_0339.JPG
    15 KB · Views: 994
  • IMG_0331.JPG 13.JPG
    IMG_0331.JPG 13.JPG
    15.2 KB · Views: 3,857
  • IMG_0334.JPG 11.JPG
    IMG_0334.JPG 11.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 651
  • IMG_0335.JPG 11.JPG
    IMG_0335.JPG 11.JPG
    23.2 KB · Views: 592
Upvote 50
Not sure if you're planning on tracking down the family and letting them know what you've found, but that in and of itself would be an amazing journey. Beautiful ring and Banner Worthy!

Finds like this one are amazing, however, when they are posted the question of are you returning it always comes up.

I found it with my Mine Lab CTX 3030 with the 17" coil. It was a good 15" in the mud/clay. I also was in sea water 4' deep. That ring had been there for a long time. So here is the latest on the ring.

Here is a up date on the ring : .Part 1 ..I think the ring was lost and belonged, or was passed down to, William de Blaquiere, 6Th Baron de Blaquiere of Ardkill (1856-1920), as he appears to be one of the only two family members to have crossed the Atlantic, the other being Peter Boyle de Blaquière Peter de Blaquière - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. He married Lucienne Desbarats, daughter of George Desbarats, on 25 January 1888 at Christchurch Cathedral, Montreal, Quebec, Canada. So, we can assume that perhaps, for whatever reason, he landed in Maine, before making his way to Quebec, and somehow lost the family heirloom on route? He died in1920 aged 63, without surviving male issue. The motto "Tiens a la Verite" is French (the family was originally from there) and means "Hold to the Truth". It is the family motto of the de Blaquiere family. The wheat-sheaf is also a family crest associated with the de Blaquière family Family Crest: Garb or Wheatsheaf

- Person Page 5140

...it really is a thing of beauty and has historical ties to both Ireland and Canada. I am sure that both these countries, especially Ireland would love to get the ring back and perhaps you should write to the American ambassador in Ireland, as he now stays in the former de Blaquiere family residence in Dublin (Now the American Embassy located right beside the Irish Presidents palace!! The ring does have value and you should try to research more
Part 2 ...as I stated before, it could be a family heirloom passed down from Baron (Lord) to Baron (Lord) and could have originally been presented by John de Blaquiere, 2nd Baron de Blaquiere (1776–1844), for his son William de Blaquiere, 3rd Baron de Blaquiere (1778–1851). It does have the family motto and crest on it, and was made as a seal. So, what I have written makes sense? It would have eventually arrived in the hands of William Barnard de Blaquiere, 6th Baron de Blaquiere (1856–1920) and it was he who lost it? It would never have been in the hands of his father, Peter, as he was never bestowed with the peerage (Baron Title).

...of course, the ring could have been made even earlier and the inscription was added by the 2nd Baron when he presented the ring to his son, the new 3rd Baron. This may explain the lack of important hallmarks (i.e. it was an old ring when it was inscribed)? The inscription could have been completed in Ireland by one of the finest 18th century silversmiths in Ireland; Joseph Walker (JW) and perhaps he stamped his initials and the 18 for fineness onto the ring when he inscribed it??

...all the above is just speculation really. I have tried to find paintings or photographs of the various Barons, to try and spot if they were wearing a similar ring, but have been unsuccessful (several paintings and photographs, but none showing a ring), but I am going mainly on internet research, which is not the best for this kind of search.

...once again, this probably needs professionally researched, as it is undoubtedly a historic piece. The de Blaquiere family were involved in some of the most famous historic events in the UK, Ireland, and latterly Canada. Family members also encountered famous people from history, such as Captain William Bligh (Famous because of the mutiny on the Bounty). The provenance and history behind this ring would be second to none!!!

Hey Eagle1!! Very interesting history and well deserved!! Thanks for sharing such a Magnificent Find and Please let us know how the story plays out!! CONGRATS AGAIN!! GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

Cubfan64 I have to tell you that keeping it quite is not my cup of tea. I love to share with others they have just as much fun as I do in researching it. I think shearing is just part of Medal detecting. Also something like this needs to be known. What you can find anywhere with a Medal detector. There are great finds out there and some are keeped quiet and that is to bad. It just fire's my up when I see finds like this and want to get out there and make a great find. It is the chase for the rainbow that elusive pot of gold at the end of it. I enjoy MDing and I enjoy my friends. It is not all about the $$$$ it is about the joy of finding something old or something Historical. It maybe just a musket ball or a coin or a old squire nail. It is the fun in the hunt we are dig gin fools and love it. Yes we all at some-point would love to hit it big. It if is in the ground it needs to come out. If I have hit it big will that's cool but I am not going to change who I am and I will go back out there and dig some more. The ring is in a bank self so no when can get it. As it is for the family members that mater are all dead. So this ring is all mine till I sell it. But that wont be for a while. I have a lot to do before that. So everyone get out there and have some fun and see what you can find.

Great find. Was nice talking to you last night. Been trying to get up your way sometime. Been talking about it with Joe and Donna.

AHmen Eagle1, AHmen!! It truly is the thrill of the hunt and enjoyment of sharing finds and stories with others!! Great Attitude!! CONGRATS AGAIN!! GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

I it always fun to hunt with friends. The funny thing about this ring. It was meant for me to find that ring. Everyone and there brother has been working that hole for the last 6 weeks and then I show up. You would think that hole was cleaned up. I know one of the guys and he has a excal II. And he know that excall II inside and out that all he uses. That day I found that ring he had been in that hole and only found 2 silver and 1 toe junk ring the 2 days before. That tells me that the CTX 3030 with the 17" coil is going deeper then his excal II and I Keeped pulling out the rings. He was not 12 ft. away from me and I pulled a 14k gold ring right next to him. That I ended up with 1-18k the find of the day William Barnard de Blaquiere, 6th Baron and that was at least 15" down, 2-14k, 1-10k and 1 silver Notre Dame high school ring. WOW how sweet is that MineLab you rock love that CTX 3030.

Last edited:
WOW !!!! That is awesome and that seal ring is cool.

Excellent! And the inscription is one of the most legible and beautiful engravings that I have ever seen.

Very nice find. Congrats like to here the history come in from everyone. Great ring !!!

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

saw your ring on minelab facebook post.

Congratulations on that beautiful historic piece! I'm very happy for you!

Outstanding find! :thumbsup: Congratulations on finding it, and for making a well deserved banner find. :) Breezie

Awesome save and excellent pice of history, you'll probably never sell that baby, some finds you just have to keep.:notworthy:

That is one of the nicest dug rings I've seen posted.
It's almost perfect.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back