🥇 BANNER Rt Hon Sir John Blaquiere 1st Baron de Blaquiere. wax seal or signet gold ring found

Eagle 1

Greenie
Jul 25, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
The last 2 days has been great for me. I hit a hole that just keeps on giving. The first day was 2 gold rings 2 - 14k. Day 2 was 4 rings 2 - 14k, 1 - 10k, and 1 - 18k. The lighter is very old also. 1 buff & 1 Murc. But my best fine of the day was that 18k a whopping 14.6g. It is from the 1700's to 1800's The Rt Hon Sir John Blaquiere 1st Baron de Blaquiere. wax seal or signet gold ring was found in Maine on a beach deep in the mud. Lord Belmont In Northern Ireland: 1st Baron de Blaquiere Take a look at WOW. Thanks George79 for your info. He was : The Rt Hon Sir John Blaquiere Bt KCB, 1st Baron de Blaquiere. His first name changed when he became a Baron Lord de Blaquiere. It looks like that he gave this ring to his son the 5th or the 6th William de Blaquiere. WOW I am the proud owner of a very historical ring. I have put it in a bank safe for safe keeping. This may be very valuable. The seal has "Tiens A La Verite" and wheat stalks I think. This is the best find I have ever found of historical scale. This beats out my find of my GW button last year. Only because I could find another one. But I will never find a ring like this a gain it is one of a kind. The makers mark is JW also 18 with no K that should help to date it. It reads on the inside : W. de B. from the Rt Honble - Lord de blaquiere. I hope I will find out more. Here is my photo's

Attachments

• IMG_0325.JPG
    IMG_0325.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 928
  • IMG_0339.JPG
    IMG_0339.JPG
    15 KB · Views: 994
  • IMG_0331.JPG 13.JPG
    IMG_0331.JPG 13.JPG
    15.2 KB · Views: 3,857
  • IMG_0334.JPG 11.JPG
    IMG_0334.JPG 11.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 651
  • IMG_0335.JPG 11.JPG
    IMG_0335.JPG 11.JPG
    23.2 KB · Views: 592
Upvote 50
I was using the Mine Lab CTX 3030 with the 17" coil. Someone was there that I know and he had a excall II and was working that for 2 days before me and only found 2 silver and 1 junk toe ring. I know now that the CTX go's deeper then the excall II. The TID came in at 12 - 41 on that ring and it was deep. I have been pulling gold rings all summer. It has been a banner year for me this year with my new toy. I just found out tonight that it belong to Hon William Barnard de Blaquiere, later 5th Baron de Blaquiere. The son of William [de Blaquiere], 3rd Baron de Blaquiere the dad who gave him the ring. around 1800 - 1851 still trying to pinpoint it. I will only say it was found in Maine for now. I will let you know what part when the time comes. Thank you all for you kind words.

Beautiful ring and what a great spot to hunt! Minelab machines do see well in the dirt/sand!

What a stunning find, the vote is in for sure. Congrats on the find.

i know it's redundant, but incredible find. you should be very proud of that.

That's the sort of thing you take to a historical item appraiser so they can research the history behind it - what an amazing find - truly a once in a lifetime discovery!

Certainly an amazing, stunning find! The really cool thing is that by finding something so historically significant, your adventure is just beginning. Keep us updated as you learn more about the original owner of the ring. Good luck with the research.

Wow, very sweet ring! Almost 15 grams too, its a whopper. Congratulations on a banner find.

Steve

CONGRATS!

Amazing!!

The 6th (and final) baron...it says, was married in Canada. So that might explain the Maine connection.

Hey Eagle 1!! What an Incredible Historical Find!! You hit the Glory Hole with ALL of that!! The Ring is Awesome and I am certain will give you hours of enjoyment!! I would enjoy knowing the story behind it!! In any event CONGRATS and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

Just amazing. Id keel over if I found something like that. keep us updated if you can find out anything more about it. :hello2:

Just AWESOME!!!! 1 More reason for me to start drinking the Minelab koolaid...CONGRATULATIONS. Davers

Lord William de Blaquiere, 6th Baron de Blaquiere b. 5 Sep 1856 Canada d. 28 Jul 1920

This link states that he did have 2 male children, however both died young and before he himself passed away, so he left no male heirs. It's interesting to note that one of them died at sea, however while the ship he was on (HMS Laurentic) was on it's way to Nova Scotia, it hit a mine and sunk on the other side of the Atlantic from what I can tell.

Definitely Canada connections if this is the right William de Blaquiere. There were others however, so it's hard to say which one the ring originally belonged to - it could have been passed on down the line.

I'm just fascinated by what the story would be as to how this got lost where it did and when it happened.

I hope you're able to do research to find out everything you can about this ring.

Also, take a look at this link...

http://www.cracroftspeerage.co.uk/online/content/deblaquiere1800.htm

Specifically, look at the family "motto." I don't see anything to indicate the signet on the ring, unless that happens to be the crest "A Garb proper banded?" The more I look at it and find other photos of the family crest, the more I see the wheat or whatever it is, banded together into a clump showing up.

There are so many different directions you could take with this find - I'd sit back, relax and contemplate what you would like to do with it. In all honesty, I'm not sure if I found something like that whether I would have even shown anyone - I would have either just researched it on my own and found out all I could and lock it away somewhere as a tremendous historical keepsake, or I would have done the same research and try to get it back to someone in the family or a museum somewhere.

Whatever you do, you clearly get the nod from me as finding the best real treasure I've seen this year.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back