Relics from Confederate camp in Middle Tennessee near Shelbyville - ID needed - Powder Flask?

Mike N Tn.

Jul 1, 2008
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600,
and Fisher F75
I found the attached relics yesterday in a well-known Confederate camp here in middle TN. It was a pretty pasture with many deep creeks running through it. We found the remains of an old chimney with bricks and stones in the nearby woods.

The ground was like concrete from the drought we’ve been enduring here, and it was overcast but still hot. I managed to rescue a few relics, but the silver coated greenish brass item with the cool pattern has me stumped. If anyone knows what it is, please chime in.

UPDATE: My relic hunting partner noticed the design looked Turkish, and I immediately thought to myself that the mystery item could be part of the stem on an antique middle eastern Hookah!

2nd UPDATE: I straightened the mystery item out and discovered the remains of a wooden handle inserted at the tip. I believe the item is a Victorian era feather duster. Not as interesting as a Hookah or powder flask but mystery solved! You never know what you might find out in the field.

3rd UPDATE: My relic hunting partner said that the item might be a Civil War era riding crop. This might be more plausible since the field we found this in is out in the middle of nowhere and had no civilian relics. We ran out of water and Gatorade and it was a long walk back to the truck. There was an old road bed running through the camp and that would explain a riding crop.

Attachments

• Reb camp 1.JPG
    Reb camp 1.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 98
  • Reb camp 2.JPG
    Reb camp 2.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 80
  • Reb camp 3.JPG
    Reb camp 3.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 79
  • wood.JPG
    wood.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Upvote 13
Mike you did real WELL :) Do you need help ? : )

2nd UPDATE: I straightened the mystery item out and discovered the remains of a wooden handle inserted at the tip. I believe the item is a Victorian era feather duster. Not as interesting as a Hookah or powder flask but mystery solved! You never know what you might find out in the field.

3rd UPDATE: My relic hunting partner said that the item might be a Civil War era riding crop. This might be more plausible since the field we found this in is out in the middle of nowhere and had no civilian relics. We ran out of water and Gatorade and it was a long walk back to the truck. There was an old road bed running through the camp and that would explain a riding crop.

Interesting finds Mike, any Confederate relic is a great find! :thumbsup:
- Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back