✅ SOLVED Need help with three objects

gary s fl

Mar 21, 2005
Birmingham Alabama
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, CTX 3030, Explorer II, Excalibur, Aquasound, TDI, GB 2, Quick-triggered CZ-21, AU-21, G2, Comprade 7" & 5.5"
Primary Interest:
Other
It's been a few years since my last request for help, but I know this is the place to come to for the pros to figure out.
Found all three items in a sandy soil matrtix within a 30' dia. The middle, Victorian looking item is 6.25" X 3.5", probably stamped copper, weighs 50g or 1.8 oz. The heavy duty, heavily rusted cap has 2" dia. The folded woven cloth is lightweight but strong with no tears. It was dug up with the cloth still lightly attached inside the cap as shown in the first two pics, but quite damp. The four ring lead, slug looking thing is .350" X .565", weighs 9.2g. What are they and what were they used for? Could they all have be from the same time period?

Attachments

• 20240906_160136.jpg
    20240906_160136.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 91
  • 20240906_155848.jpg
    20240906_155848.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 66
  • 20240906_150613.jpg
    20240906_150613.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 61
  • 20240906_150053.jpg
    20240906_150053.jpg
    657.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 20240906_150220.jpg
    20240906_150220.jpg
    489.8 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Below is a pic of your find (L) and a powder flask (R). The exterior pattern looks similar to me. Yours looks like someone took a whole one apart and flattened it (or maybe it was flattened in the ground). Even if not part of a powder flask, you find is very cool.
Did the source where you found this pic of the flask indicate what country of origin it came from? The area has been inhabitied by the Spanish, French, English, and Colonial Engish loyalists after the American Revolution. It would be cool to know what time period and by whom it was made. You've provide a good start for this research. Thank you

Upvote 0
Did the source where you found this pic of the flask indicate what country of origin it came from? The area has been inhabitied by the Spanish, French, English, and Colonial Engish loyalists after the American Revolution. It would be cool to know what time period and by whom it was made. You've provide a good start for this research. Thank you
Per the link...English

Antique G. & J.W. Hawksley Sheffield English Powder Flask - Violin Shaped - Copper and Brass (Unpolished) - Dram Markings - 1800's
In Antique as found condition - aged patina - lever seems to be stuck
Measures - 4" x 9 1/8"

Upvote 2
I'd really like to know what time period and country of origin the flask is from. The area were it was found has been occupied by the Spanish, English, post American Revolutionary War English loyalists, Seminole War soldiers and possibly the French. I tried using the Google lens app without success. Did the pic or website you found offer any additional info on the flask? Thanks

English....You just missed his post and answer right above yours or didn't see the word English........Happens to all us!

Upvote 2
Per the link...English

Antique G. & J.W. Hawksley Sheffield English Powder Flask - Violin Shaped - Copper and Brass (Unpolished) - Dram Markings - 1800's
In Antique as found condition - aged patina - lever seems to be stuck
Measures - 4" x 9 1/8"
Wow...thank you. I'm slow at best. This info is great!

Upvote 2
Wow...thank you. I'm slow at best. The width is smaller but otherwise it's the same. This info is great!

Have to remember that a lot of stuff was imported. So it could be English in origin, imported for use in the USA and ended up in Native American or someone else's hands, or used a couple of generations and then lost. So many possibilities how it ended up where is was found.

Upvote 3
Have to remember that a lot of stuff was imported. So it could be English in origin, imported for use in the USA and ended up in Native American or someone else's hands, or used a couple of generations and then lost. So many possibilities how it ended up where is was found.
So true 👍

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back