RANDOM CHAT THREAD - Chat about anything or just hang out - ALL are welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
And the top and bottom of the morning to you Mr. Bill.

concussion-test-helmets.jpg

I assumed picture of the early days of "helmet testing".

heh

Last edited:
ECS,

I added a couple of links to your cooking with beer thread for your repertoire.

Regards + HH

Bill

Smooth peanut butter with hot fired bologna on toast, white bread preferred... its awesome, but a can be a tad messy. :tongue3:

Just a random thought of past delectables.

Yes......good morning !!

heh... how many ya want ?

Which ones do you have ??

I am after Caribbean wreck docu´s, Whydah etc.
And I lost the docu about Blackbeards ship where they show a lot of restoration work in the second half.

Tom,
Some people bake iron in the oven to get the last bits of rust off, with this cannon ball since there's cracks in it probably not a very good idea though. Unless you want to put it back together with crazy glue......:tongue3::tongue3::tongue3:

If last bits of rust pops off in an oven, than it comes comes Salts or Akaganeit Chrystal's which growing very quickly while the drying process and it means the iron is not good cleaned.
Just to dry it an an oven is a common way but after it you have to do again air abrasion because the surface mostly went back into a red/brown rusty color.
When you just put it out of the cleaning bath and dry it with a towel or something from outside before you put it into a hot wax bath, you will not get this change of color and you get a nice black surface. If there is any humidity or oxygen left in the oxide layers, it will be cooked out in the hot wax. You see that all is gone when no bubbles get on top of the wax bath. To be sure, I let Iron for 2 hours in the hot wax.

Before I forget. I saw many people on YT cooking iron in simple paraffin but the problem is, that paraffin is a very soft wax and diffuses very quickly and you have to put a new layer on the iron from time to time.
An acid free hard-wax is the better way. you get it as small drops or flakes on the market. Unfortunately I don´t know which kind of waxes you can get in the US but may some restorers can give you good advise.
The advantage of this wax is, that you still get homogeneously layer on the pieces even if you put a lot off with a paper towel after cooking. Also you can polish the grade of shining you want on the pieces.

In my gallery you can see a lot of iron which is preserved on this way.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/members/16068-albums5055.html

Last edited:
while mowing yesterday there was big ol chicken snake i hate snakes

Tom,

I'll try to track down the episode where he impersonates a German General....lol.

Regards + HH

Bill

Last edited:
A cable station has been running the Canadian TV series, X COMPANY, a WWII drama about Canadian operatives aiding the French Resistance. This is a really good show and well worth watching. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back