RANDOM CHAT THREAD - Chat about anything or just hang out - ALL are welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes yes....I would love the cotact info if you think about it. I have given little thought to the burls up to this point. I was trying to build up some stock before I started to shop them around. Appreciate your thoughtfulness and help as always. Thanks oddjob !!

Yes yes....I would love the cotact info if you think about it. I have given little thought to the burls up to this point. I was trying to build up some stock before I started to shop them around. Appreciate your thoughtfulness and help as always. Thanks oddjob !!

You certainly have some good stock now; back in 07 when I talked to guy he said just a single one was enough for him, that he can flip them right away, and if all I had was only one he would sell to an instrument maker in Italy or Belgium.

From that what I took away was burl is good money, and even though I felt like I was getting a good deal he must have been getting a mega deal.

I have an online company I buy hardware from on antiques I refinish. Company name is Rockler, I was reading an article from them about 2012 or around there, that they buy very special wood like what you have. Maybe that mean burls too, no idea, but it would not hurt to check.

But I will not forget and have my hand get me his contact details.

You ever considered gun shows. Have not been to one in a very long time, but back in the day they used to have people at those with some nice wood blanks for stocks. Folks pay big for that, I had a custom made Bubinga for my suppressed SVD. The man asked if I wanted a custom case too, I was like are you mad, I use this for a living mate, pelican only here. He just laughed and said most guys with thousand dollar stocks never even fire the weapon. Not sure what sort of people he was dealing with but sure not the ones I know.

I was outside fondling my bustic burls !! Lol !! Think ill move them to the log lot out of the weather. Man......that bubinga is incredible !! The big confrence tables made from it online are some of the most beautiful table tops ive ever seen !! Thanks for the ideas oddjob.

Screenshot_2018-05-13-12-49-38.png
Screenshot_2018-05-13-12-48-50.png I have logs on site that will yeild 8 or more slabs 16 feet long and even better grain patterns, and wider. I would gladly sell to these folks for half of what they ask for retail !! Sent them an email today .

Holy Chit; 19K, bro you know where any are growing. You feel like being a Wood Fence. LOL Man, I have known people who fenced anything from explosives to cars or stones. but 19K for a slab, screw my history I bet I could do a drive by chain sawing if I seen one growing in someones yard.

That means your entire tree is worth more than that blue farm use car on here. LOL

Always liked small cars, even own two before, one was a 50s Fiat 500 and the other was an Alpine Sunbeam. Both in perfect shape, but I never fit in them and never got to drive them. The 500 I sold after the 500s came out, that car went from being worth 1000 bucks in mint shape to being worth 20K in mint shape with a demand for it. The Alpine still sits in my living-room apartment in Luxembourg.

Small cars are cool, but small cars with big engines are even better.
I once owned a 1960 Fiat 300, and everytime it rained, it would stall out and I had to dry the inside of the distributor to get it going.
Pain in the...!
Also in 1967 I owned a 1962 Sunbeam Alpine, 4 cyl, wire wheels, dash gauges in kilometers and litres- wish I still had that car.
*NOTE* In the DR NO movie, James Bond drives a Sunbeam Alpine.
Ralph Nader killed the Sunbeam line with his "unsafe at any speed" rant about the TIGER with that Carrol Shelby Ford V8 in an Alpine body.

I would give them 20 bucks and then put it in my living room.

I once owned a 1960 Fiat 300, and everytime it rained, it would stall out and I had to dry the inside of the distributor to get it going.
Pain in the...!
Also in 1967 I owned a 1962 Sunbeam Alpine, 4 cyl, wire wheels, dash gauges in kilometers and litres- wish I still had that car.
*NOTE* In the DR NO movie, James Bond drives a Sunbeam Alpine.
Ralph Nader killed the Sunbeam line with his "unsafe at any speed" rant about the TIGER with that Carrol Shelby Ford V8 in an Alpine body.

Never got into action TV stuff. But yes, 67, wire rims, and all with a black convertible on white paint.

Did yours have two Four Barrel Carbs as well.

I got mine back in 91 as a gift, it was in perfect shape back then. Then when I purchased my toy apartment I had it shipped to Europe, first sent over to Mansory Design & Holding to have it all checked out and out back in better shape, and then they sorted out getting that up stairs and inside.

View attachment 1589518View attachment 1589519
When you can see grain patterns like this when its rough sawn,......you no you've hit a home run.
The guitar makers will fight each other in a bidding war for this type of material. I call it fire wood because it actually looks like flames in the grain...
Those guitar guys take all the spectacular stuff and leave the vanilla or more average pieces for the furniture makers.
Rarely do you see furniture from the guitar quality wood !! ...
The LACEY ACT concerning endangered wood and the FBI raid of the GIBSON GUITAR factory:

Gibson Guitar Corp. Responds to Federal Raid

I own several Gibsons, some pre-1970, others newer, that I bought because of the wood- the denser, the better sustain of those humbuckers and P-90 pickups.

Never got into action TV stuff. But yes, 67, wire rims, and all with a black convertible on white paint.

Did yours have two Four Barrel Carbs as well.

I got mine back in 91 as a gift, it was in perfect shape back then. Then when I purchased my toy apartment I had it shipped to Europe, first sent over to Mansory Design & Holding to have it all checked out and out back in better shape, and then they sorted out getting that up stairs and inside.
Yes! As with the gauges, all the electrical, carbs, brakes, etc, British and metric, only the steering wheel was conveted to the left side. Colour was British racing green.

Yes! As with the gauges, all the electrical, carbs, brakes, etc, British and metric, only the steering wheel was conveted to the left side. Colour was British racing green.

was it actually converted over or was it a Canadian Spec. I have the original title still and says Canadian Specs. Also currently has only 19 kilometres on it. Cousin in South Africa got it from his father who had it sitting in their party shack down at the ranch in Africa. I got it with only 8 kilometres on it, but over the years when the wrench Gods would give it a looking over more was added, but still low enough to not be major and all recorded too.

Cousin had it though for some time, and when his Papa passed on he sent it to me inn the US. No idea why they had it though, uncle did buy it new in Canada and had it shipped to South Africa, I can see having a used but nice ride in a show apartment or something, but not new, and both them men where way bigger than me, uncle was like seven two and cousin was like six ten. I am six six and can not fit in it.

Carbs always got me though, you open her up and see those and think man I bet she makes some good power. Nope, not even 100 HP. LOL

But when they sent it my wife had met my uncle a few times, and she says, even if he could some how cram into that the motor just does not have enough for him, thats why it is Kilometers, big numbers for a big man to make him feel better, you know he tried to drive it at least once. LOL

She is always making tall jokes, but she too is six six like me, but skinny; me I am the smallest ever in my family and we love our weights, no point in being tall if you can not be huge to go along with it. Back when she first met my Mother, my mother said she is so small and skinny, lets get you some food and then Papa will take you to the gym.

like the 1967 sunbeam tiger i wish i could drive one i also like the British MG cars too

The LACEY ACT concerning endangered wood and the FBI raid of the GIBSON GUITAR factory:

Gibson Guitar Corp. Responds to Federal Raid

I own several Gibsons, some pre-1970, others newer, that I bought because of the wood- the denser, the better sustain of those humbuckers and P-90 pickups.

Yes im very aware of what happened to gibson and I believe the wood issue was just a way for the gov. To harass them for political reasons. That being said we keep careful records to prove a chain of ownership. These include dates, adresses, and copies of permits for permitted take downs. We like to take pictures of the tree on site too. Keeping track of the logs in our log book is important for legal reasons and the entire story helps sell these eco green pieces. We are very proud to salvage this wood from being chipped, and it feels good to offer some of the rarest and most coveted wood in the world. Now we are working with the county and many of the private tree cutting businesses in the community in an effort to save some of these giant beasts from the chipper. Who knew the hurricane would also blow good fortune my way in the form of downed mahogany. I believe that if I were elsewhere this would not be even worth it , but since I live in the only cuban mahogany forest in America it makes it very worthwhile to do the urban logging thing. Lets face it, if this were pine or fir or oak there would be no where near this much money involved. But.....its king wood and if you look it up just about anything made from it is very expensive. The only way to get your hands on this wood is from storm salvaged wood from upper key largo/monroe county. There is alot around miami too, but it thins out fast north of there. Im sitting on a niche type business that not to many are involved with. We are also lucky to be able to have enough land to be able to set up our saw mill and log lot. Its been tremendous fun and we have made alot of new friends !! We are gearing up to cut some of our largest pieces of mahogany and sabicu and working on aquireing more from the tree cutters. Whoo hoo exciting times for us !!

photo-873.JPG heres one of my burl logs, its not a traditional round burl but its real nice and shows some birds eye pattern under the bark !! It was raining all day so I brought it inside and started buckskinning it. photo-872.JPG
photo-870.JPGphoto-866.JPG
Willow bustic burl, about 50 pounds worth.

Bart,

If there's enough raw material in your general area I'd slowly gravitate away from the extreme fishing towards the exotic wood.

Should be highly profitable if properly managed and probably a bit less punishing on the body also.

Food for Thought.

Regards + HH

Bill

Regards

Garage sale add on Craigs a week or so ago... heh

00R0R_8tESE1b6osY_1200x900.jpg

Yes im very aware of what happened to gibson and I believe the wood issue was just a way for the gov. To harass them for political reasons...
The FBI seized many Gibson guitars made with "suspect" wood as evidence.
What happened to these guitars?

was it actually converted over or was it a Canadian Spec...
I do not know, I bought it second hand from the owner and it needed some work.
Back in 1967, the only place to get Sunbeam Alpine parts was by J C WHITNEY mailorder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back