Please help and tell me what this thing is!! No one has been able to identify it!

Firedancintracy

Dec 10, 2014
Idaho
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the strangest little thing I have ever seen. My friend gave me this years ago, he dug it up on his family's settlement approximately around 40 years ago. It is about 2 1/2" long and it appears to have been "tatooed" as the ink designs are not lying on the surface. It is solid on one end and one tiny deliberate hole on the other. As you can see it also has designs carved into it. Any help in enlightining me on what this is, and what it was used for would be greatly appreciated. IMG_6038.JPGIMG_6033.JPGIMG_6034.JPGIMG_6035.JPGIMG_6036.JPGIMG_6037.JPG

Upvote 0
This is the strangest little thing I have ever seen. My friend gave me this years ago, he dug it up on his family's settlement approximately around 40 years ago. It is about 2 1/2" long and it appears to have been "tatooed" as the ink designs are not lying on the surface. It is solid on one end and one tiny deliberate hole on the other. As you can see it also has designs carved into it. Any help in enlightining me on what this is, and what it was used for would be greatly appreciated.View attachment 1090367View attachment 1090368View attachment 1090369View attachment 1090370View attachment 1090371View attachment 1090372

Appears to be some type of native american signate. Perhaps part of a medicine pouch.
What state was it found in? Research the natives of that state. You might be surprised by what you learn.

Upvote 0
i am no expert , but i have to agree with several of the other comments that this is not American Indian or atleast not Ancient. the Flower with heart shaped pedals i have seen used on Victorian Jewelry but have never seen on American Indian designs , But that being said it could still be Indian made but after the English Influence came to America .
As for what could it be ? my first thought and still feel pretty strong about is that it is some type of vinaigrette tube , which is something people carried that had a " smell Good " filling to help cover the smell of filth.
Again not a expert , just a semi-old man that has been around and seen alot.

Upvote 0
I am going to say I have been on this planet for a while, 72 years to be specific. I do not see another 'white' sometimes for months. No one can call me racist or biased without lying.

Over my lifetime, certain ethnic groups keep changing what they want to be called. No sooner did I learn to use the "correct term" than they decided that wasn't right, either. Eventually, I understood what was happening, and stopped caring what the latest choice was.

On this very thread, we have evidence that it also varies between individuals.

Frankly, I am personally very offended by anyone who thinks HE OR SHE gets to decide what term we must use, even when others of their ethnic group disagree.

This attitude breeds disrespect when usually none is intended.

When I was in high school, we had a neighbor lad who was part Indian. (I use this term because that is the term he used. If it was good enough for him, it's good enough for me.)

He dated the most beautiful girls. He was stronger and faster and more talented than anyone. I thought to be Indian was to be superior to the rest of us. I was shocked when I learned the truth about American Indians and their socio-economic status in the USA.

I suggest it is very disrespectful when you know someone means no ill to get in their face aggressively over a word that has been used that way over their lifetime. Look how much time was wasted on this thread.

Upvote 0
Looks like a joint carburetor pocket bong to me, put the rolled joint into whichever hole, seal the rest with your fingers, depending on how strong a hit you want, suck on open hole, let fingers go, and cannabis gas mixed with oxygen rushes into your lungs and your up and away with a better hit than straight off the joint. Just what I've heard (ahem). If it still has residue you could end up in jail for possession of drug paraphernalia. Nice find from Hippy era 60's - 70's. I was there, you might want to give it a try yourself and let us know how it does, hahaha!!

Upvote 0
This is the strangest little thing I have ever seen. My friend gave me this years ago, he dug it up on his family's settlement approximately around 40 years ago. It is about 2 1/2" long and it appears to have been "tatooed" as the ink designs are not lying on the surface. It is solid on one end and one tiny deliberate hole on the other. As you can see it also has designs carved into it. Any help in enlightining me on what this is, and what it was used for would be greatly appreciated.View attachment 1090367View attachment 1090368View attachment 1090369View attachment 1090370View attachment 1090371View attachment 1090372

I would guess an ancient flute which may have to be blown into in a very special way to get the sound, with fingers over the correct holes because there is not a reed to vibrate -- kind of like an ocarina flute

Upvote 0
The symbol on the whistle or flute

I write supposition essays about Native American rock art. According to me the flat spiral symbol is a hill or a mountain. That is way I believe ancient artist would make the symbol to describe the forgoing.

One would not go up a steep hill or mountain in a straight line. One would go up a steep hill or mountain by switch backing or circling it. The flat spiral symbol when pulled up in one's mind to look like a cone shaped spring will illustrate a hill or mountain in a primitive way.

Since, man has always when up on a mountain to find religious enlightenment (Moses), I assume the the whistle or flute was used in religious ceremonies.

I hope this helps.

Sincerely, Crazy Old Man

Upvote 0
a little help from an old hunter

1f6a7d6e821291547758206937ba961d.jpg
this is caved and designed bone, do you think the material of the object is similar to bone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hi, i've been doing more picking and treasure hunting in estate sales than with my old detector but in my travels, and as a matter of fact just bought a couple off ebay, ive come to have an interest in old, antique and ancient beads. Your item resembles an african or venetian glass bead. it would make more sense if there were a hole on each end, but maybe it just didnt get finished. So an old bead of of some sort is my guess, you can find tons of em on ebay. good luck and happpy hunting.

Upvote 0
No. Glass and ceramic beads were (are) formed on metal rods. They don't add the holes later.

Upvote 0
I'm betting- long shot or not- that it's an essential oil 'wick' stone. It is placed in aromatic oil and put wherever you wish. You buy the bottle of oil and this- as a set. They come in a variety of shapes and forms. The era would be just about right- back then when all sorts of earthy, 'hippy' stuff was coming on the market- especially on the west coast. I would bet my kingdom it's not old- no older than 50 anyways. JMHO ;) Yakker

Upvote 0
Hi thanks for the interest and idea, it was dug in Northern California
Appears to be some type of native american signate. Perhaps part of a medicine pouch.
What state was it found in? Research the natives of that state. You might be surprised by what you learn.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the interest, I don't think it is bone it feels more like coral or something like that.
hi, i've been doing more picking and treasure hunting in estate sales than with my old detector but in my travels, and as a matter of fact just bought a couple off ebay, ive come to have an interest in old, antique and ancient beads. Your item resembles an african or venetian glass bead. it would make more sense if there were a hole on each end, but maybe it just didnt get finished. So an old bead of of some sort is my guess, you can find tons of em on ebay. good luck and happpy hunting.

Upvote 0
If you rub it on the front of your teeth and it feels rough it could be bone or coral (or pearl & other natural materials). Glass, porcelain, glazed ceramic are all smooth.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the idea, it was dug in Northern California
Where was this found? Knowing the region can really help narrow down what first nations people it might have originated from, if it is Native American of course. Also, the remind me of the shape of a canine or maybe incisor tooth. It might explain the lack of marking from using a punch as you mentioned.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Just Guessing, but...

It looks like it could be a ceramic windchime or part of a hanging mobile. Small hole indicates was hanged on a string.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back